Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life at Woodland Acres  (Read 13073 times)

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Re: Life at Woodland Acres
« Reply #360 on: April 13, 2018, 07:41:18 am »

Puppies in 9 days!

John, Mariel and I are heading to a field trial tonight (just the 3 of us and 4 horses).  I'm judging 2 stakes, John is apprenticing 1 stake, then he'll be a full-fledged field trial judge.  Here's hoping Encore is a good judging horse!  We should have a couple hours to ride before we judge, so I'll be able to take the edge off of him, and temps are supposed to be in the high 70's, so that should help too!  I'm judging for 6 hours tomorrow....and will have 2 horses.  Hopefully that's enough....since neither has had a saddle on them since November!

Pray there's no rodeo!
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #361 on: April 16, 2018, 07:08:04 am »

6 days!!  If she makes it that long.  I think I'm calling the vet this morning to see if we can change our x-ray appointment to tonight.  I'm hoping she holds off going into labor until at least Thursday.  I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Wednesday, and I've cancelled 2 others because of noreasters last month, so I really should get to this one....just routine, but there's an immediate family history and I'm already 2 yrs past due for my 1st one.

Anyway, Moo looks like she's going to EXPLODE puppies any second!  She's HUGE!!  Her temperature is holding steady and she ate her breakfast, but we did spend Sunday getting the "puppy whelping suite" ready, and Mariel and I scrubbed the kennel down yesterday also.  I wanted to juggle dogs around a bit, but someone let me know that their dog JUST came down with kennel cough from the show we attended last weekend, so I don't want to put the preggers with any of the other dogs today.  I'm praying if we make it to tomorrow morning without anyone coughing, we'll be in the clear, since I had 3 dogs at that show.

Anyway, here's Moo
2018-04-16_08-59-56 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Her "whelping suite":
2018-04-16_09-00-07 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-04-16_09-00-21 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-04-16_09-00-31 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Last load of puppy laundry is in the dryer, so we're ready!!  Her official due date is Sunday....but I'm not sure she's going to last that long!

We have to gait off the bottom of the basement steps (to keep the seniors from running the steps when they're down there.  Tess's back won't hold up to it) and John said he'd mount a TV on the wall in the "whelping suite" for me, but other than that, we're ready!!

We DID get to our first field trial in a LOOONNNG time on Saturday.  The horses did GREAT!  Here's a picture of Encore chilling by the trailer.  It was HOT HOT HOT outside, but everyone did great. 

2018-04-16_08-35-41 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

OH!  And Nola said Bailey is AWESOME and she's had quite a bit of interest in him.  Fingers crossed he gets himself the most wonderful home possible..and soon!!
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #362 on: April 17, 2018, 07:47:42 am »

No puppies today.....I think.  Moo is just HUGE and uncomfortable, and today is 58 days from the 1st breeding, so she's officially full term, but her temp hasn't budged in 3 days, so it's unlikely she'll go into labor in the next 24 hours.

John installed the baby gate at the bottom of the basement steps last night, so we did juggle dogs around this morning so everyone can get outside, but Moo has run of the house and side yard.  I'm sure Tessa & Chloe are feeling quite slighted being in the basement dog room without their chairs, but they're going to have to get used to it.  They will be spending their days there for the next several weeks.

I'm leaving work early today to take her to the vet for an x-ray so we have a better idea of how many pups to expect.

Anyway, here's Moo trying out her whelping box.  She's been carrying the same bone around with her for 2 days but won't chew it, so she's starting with nesting behavior.  If she could hold off on puppies until Saturday, that would be ideal....HA! 

2018-04-17_09-32-16 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #363 on: April 18, 2018, 03:55:18 pm »

Well, the deed is done.  My first colonoscopy is in the bag.  They removed a single polyp.  Said not to lose a minute of sleep over it.  Lab report should be back in a week or 2 but what looks benign is almost always benign.  My father passed last year from a particularly viral form of colon cancer that is hereditary, and his mother passed from it also, so they put me on an every 5 year schedule.

I have to admit it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. 

I was home by 10:30 this morning, and other than power washing the kennels, I've just been hanging out all day. 

Moo's x-rays yesterday showed puppies too numerous to count.  So I'm still in the dark as to how many we should expect.  She's on day 59, which is considered full term.  She ate her breakfast and her temp is holding steady so no puppies today.  I'm getting calls daily for puppies so all should be sold within a week or 2 of their birth.  Everyone wants girls!    Some may be convertible to boys, but you never can tell. 

John plans to put his boat in the water this weekend if he can get a few things finished on it.  That about guarantees Moo will have puppies this weekend (they ALWAYS come when he's putting his boat in, and therefore, totally unreachable). 

Jenny is also getting quite large.  She pales in comparison to Moo, but I'm betting by the time she's a few days from whelping, she'll also be as big as Moo.  We're going to skip the useless x-rays for her (and going forward).  $90 to hear "too numerous to count" is a waste of $$. 

Anyway, I'll keep you posted!

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #364 on: April 19, 2018, 07:45:21 am »

Well Moo's temp dropped this morning (this is a sign that the onset of labor is imminent).  She's HUGE!  She's labored for 18+ hours before the first puppy was born for her prior 2 litters, ans since she wasn't in active labor this morning, I'm at work.  We have a couple cameras up in the house so right now she's laying in a chair in the sun room looking out the window, not panting or shivering, so status quo

But this was her this morning:

2018-04-19_09-37-28 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

We're going to have a boatload of puppies!!
Karen
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Up