Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Life at Woodland Acres  (Read 13933 times)

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Re: Life at Woodland Acres
« Reply #360 on: April 13, 2018, 07:41:18 am »

Puppies in 9 days!

John, Mariel and I are heading to a field trial tonight (just the 3 of us and 4 horses).  I'm judging 2 stakes, John is apprenticing 1 stake, then he'll be a full-fledged field trial judge.  Here's hoping Encore is a good judging horse!  We should have a couple hours to ride before we judge, so I'll be able to take the edge off of him, and temps are supposed to be in the high 70's, so that should help too!  I'm judging for 6 hours tomorrow....and will have 2 horses.  Hopefully that's enough....since neither has had a saddle on them since November!

Pray there's no rodeo!
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #361 on: April 16, 2018, 07:08:04 am »

6 days!!  If she makes it that long.  I think I'm calling the vet this morning to see if we can change our x-ray appointment to tonight.  I'm hoping she holds off going into labor until at least Thursday.  I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Wednesday, and I've cancelled 2 others because of noreasters last month, so I really should get to this one....just routine, but there's an immediate family history and I'm already 2 yrs past due for my 1st one.

Anyway, Moo looks like she's going to EXPLODE puppies any second!  She's HUGE!!  Her temperature is holding steady and she ate her breakfast, but we did spend Sunday getting the "puppy whelping suite" ready, and Mariel and I scrubbed the kennel down yesterday also.  I wanted to juggle dogs around a bit, but someone let me know that their dog JUST came down with kennel cough from the show we attended last weekend, so I don't want to put the preggers with any of the other dogs today.  I'm praying if we make it to tomorrow morning without anyone coughing, we'll be in the clear, since I had 3 dogs at that show.

Anyway, here's Moo
2018-04-16_08-59-56 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Her "whelping suite":
2018-04-16_09-00-07 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-04-16_09-00-21 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-04-16_09-00-31 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Last load of puppy laundry is in the dryer, so we're ready!!  Her official due date is Sunday....but I'm not sure she's going to last that long!

We have to gait off the bottom of the basement steps (to keep the seniors from running the steps when they're down there.  Tess's back won't hold up to it) and John said he'd mount a TV on the wall in the "whelping suite" for me, but other than that, we're ready!!

We DID get to our first field trial in a LOOONNNG time on Saturday.  The horses did GREAT!  Here's a picture of Encore chilling by the trailer.  It was HOT HOT HOT outside, but everyone did great. 

2018-04-16_08-35-41 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

OH!  And Nola said Bailey is AWESOME and she's had quite a bit of interest in him.  Fingers crossed he gets himself the most wonderful home possible..and soon!!
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #362 on: April 17, 2018, 07:47:42 am »

No puppies today.....I think.  Moo is just HUGE and uncomfortable, and today is 58 days from the 1st breeding, so she's officially full term, but her temp hasn't budged in 3 days, so it's unlikely she'll go into labor in the next 24 hours.

John installed the baby gate at the bottom of the basement steps last night, so we did juggle dogs around this morning so everyone can get outside, but Moo has run of the house and side yard.  I'm sure Tessa & Chloe are feeling quite slighted being in the basement dog room without their chairs, but they're going to have to get used to it.  They will be spending their days there for the next several weeks.

I'm leaving work early today to take her to the vet for an x-ray so we have a better idea of how many pups to expect.

Anyway, here's Moo trying out her whelping box.  She's been carrying the same bone around with her for 2 days but won't chew it, so she's starting with nesting behavior.  If she could hold off on puppies until Saturday, that would be ideal....HA! 

2018-04-17_09-32-16 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #363 on: April 18, 2018, 03:55:18 pm »

Well, the deed is done.  My first colonoscopy is in the bag.  They removed a single polyp.  Said not to lose a minute of sleep over it.  Lab report should be back in a week or 2 but what looks benign is almost always benign.  My father passed last year from a particularly viral form of colon cancer that is hereditary, and his mother passed from it also, so they put me on an every 5 year schedule.

I have to admit it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. 

I was home by 10:30 this morning, and other than power washing the kennels, I've just been hanging out all day. 

Moo's x-rays yesterday showed puppies too numerous to count.  So I'm still in the dark as to how many we should expect.  She's on day 59, which is considered full term.  She ate her breakfast and her temp is holding steady so no puppies today.  I'm getting calls daily for puppies so all should be sold within a week or 2 of their birth.  Everyone wants girls!    Some may be convertible to boys, but you never can tell. 

John plans to put his boat in the water this weekend if he can get a few things finished on it.  That about guarantees Moo will have puppies this weekend (they ALWAYS come when he's putting his boat in, and therefore, totally unreachable). 

Jenny is also getting quite large.  She pales in comparison to Moo, but I'm betting by the time she's a few days from whelping, she'll also be as big as Moo.  We're going to skip the useless x-rays for her (and going forward).  $90 to hear "too numerous to count" is a waste of $$. 

Anyway, I'll keep you posted!

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #364 on: April 19, 2018, 07:45:21 am »

Well Moo's temp dropped this morning (this is a sign that the onset of labor is imminent).  She's HUGE!  She's labored for 18+ hours before the first puppy was born for her prior 2 litters, ans since she wasn't in active labor this morning, I'm at work.  We have a couple cameras up in the house so right now she's laying in a chair in the sun room looking out the window, not panting or shivering, so status quo

But this was her this morning:

2018-04-19_09-37-28 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

We're going to have a boatload of puppies!!
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #365 on: April 21, 2018, 04:55:03 pm »

We are now day 62 and no puppies!  Moo's doing fine, ate most of her dinner tonight.  Her temp dropped on Thursday, so I worked from home on Friday...and no puppies!!  And no puppies today! 

John did set up a camera in our new "whelping suite"  on Friday evening so at least I could keep an eye on things from my bed last night

2018-04-21_06-19-42 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

My guess is labor tomorrow, puppies on Monday...but we'll see!

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #366 on: April 22, 2018, 11:32:21 am »

Moo is 63 days today...that's like saying she's at 40 weeks exactly.   She is NOT a happy camper and I'm not aloud to leave her sight.   Hopefully she progresses a bit faster than she has in the past.  If not, we're looking at puppies tomorrow morning sometime.

Forrest picked up a 3 point GCH major this weekend.

I got the electric fence fixed on the back property (just some pulled out insulators) and it opened up to the horses, and got come clean up started yesterday...but today is going to be a lost day except for laundry maybe.  I did get the house swept and vacuumed, and the kennels power washed and disinfected (and the girls are now sun bathing) but I think that's all that's getting done. 

Fingers crossed for an easy, quick delivery for Moo!

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #367 on: April 23, 2018, 02:34:26 pm »

It wasn't quick but we have 8 puppies (5 girls, 3 boys) and Mom and babies are doing great!  Pictures tomorrow.   Im going to try to catch a nap.
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #368 on: April 24, 2018, 10:05:06 am »

8 healthy babies!!

2018-04-24_10-25-24 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

They'll be way cuter in a week or so once they plump up and grow into their wrinkly skin. 
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #369 on: April 25, 2018, 07:40:52 am »

Rode the property for the first time this season on Trav yesterday!  That horse just makes me smile  :)  John rode Scout.  Both were well behaved.  Chloe was beside herself that she didn't get to come!  Maybe next time.  Chloe (11) and Tessa (13) have been in the basement dog room with access to the backyard for the last week or so, where they get to watch bunches of birds and squirrels outside the fence, and they've both lost weight!  Chloe is starting to get a waist back, which tells me that the old girls need to be added to the backyard rotation once things return to normal around here (early July). 

Up until last week, they both had run of the house and could go outside through the kennel into the smaller side yard.  You'd think for 2 seniors that would be plenty, but obviously it's not. 

The youngsters (Secret, 3, and River, not quite 1) are NUTS!!  They've been shut in the kennel for over a week, with some time every evening running in the smaller side yard, and they're bouncing off the walls.  Last night we put them in the big yard for a couple hours before the rain, which helped. 

Jenny is due in 17 days!  She's looking quite hefty these days.

2018-04-25_09-34-20 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

I've got to start thinking about how we're handling the 2 litters together.  I've got a great set up for 1....I think I'm going to order a couple things.

So puppies!  Our smallest boy lost a little weight in the first 24 hours...he went from 9.9 oz to 9.3 oz. last night when everyone else gained at least a little.  It's fairly common for puppies to lose weight in the first 24 hours, so I reweighed him this morning and he was at 9.7 oz, so almost back up to his birth weight.  We'll need to keep an eye on him, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.  Vet tomorrow for tails & dewclaws so hopefully he continues to gain between now and then.

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #370 on: April 26, 2018, 11:47:26 am »

Babies' first trip to the vet was this morning.  Everyone got a clean bill of health (including Moo), and now they're docked and had their dewclaws removed.

2018-04-26_01-42-44 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-04-26_01-42-56 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-04-26_01-43-07 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-04-26_01-43-17 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

They're already starting to chub up and look more like puppies. 
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #371 on: April 27, 2018, 06:49:05 am »

15 days until MORE puppies!!

2018-04-27_08-40-52 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Our last litter is 15 months old...so we're making up for a dry stretch with 2 litters  :P

Moo's pups went to the vet yesterday for tail docking and dewclaw removal.  Here they are a couple hours later.  VERY traumatized (not)

2018-04-27_08-41-31 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Everyone is gaining weight nicely and doing well...including Moo.  I may have 1 boy available still, but I think that's it.  I have people knocking down my door for girls, but a couple have agreed to a boy when there were no girls available.
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #372 on: April 30, 2018, 12:36:19 pm »

John and I went out to western PA to judge a field trial this weekend, and unfortunately, it became quite clear that the sport is dying quickly.  People who have been fixtures in the sport are selling their trucks & trailers and getting out, or physically can no longer to it....or have just decided to not bring another young dog along.  And there aren't any young people in the club.  We're hearing reports of the same things all over the country.  Declining entries, cancelled trials. 

And of course, declining entries = fewer competitive dogs = fewer competent trainers. 

I sent Tally out to a trainer in Missouri, only because his co-owner spends a bunch of time with the trainer and promised to keep an eye on him.  But truth be told, once he's ready to compete, he should stay out there and his co-owner should run him.  He's been working with him for months and will be able to continue to, where I can't. 

But Tally is 4 yrs old, and I don't have another dog in the wings, and at this point I should be thinking about it...and I do, until reality sinks in.  Who would train this new dog for ME to run?  I have horses, truck, trailer, dog boxes, etc., so I can compete with my dogs.  And that seems to be a pipe dream these days. 

None of this is surprising, but it just kind of hit me in the face this weekend. 

So where do we go from here?
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #373 on: May 01, 2018, 09:23:58 am »

The kennel now has A/C!  It's supposed to get into the 80's tomorrow (after snow flurries this past weekend) so that was last night's project.  Just a window A/C, but it should keep the dogs from frying. 

We were having Merry Maids come clean the house every other week, but with more puppies on the way, there isn't a way into the house where there aren't dogs, so I suspended service until further notice.  They came this past Friday, so things are as clean as they ever got them (I'm always firing them, but John wouldn't let me until I replaced them).  Anyway, I found a cleaning schedule online....I'm going to try to stick to it!  If I can, they may stay permanently suspended.

The puppies are doing great.  They've doubled their birth weights in the last week and Moo is straying from the whelping box for a few minutes here and there. 

Jenny is getting as big as a house!  So much for her not taking.  I have a feeling we're in for 8 or 9 puppies again.

So for the next few days the older dogs and Jenny are in the kennel so the youngsters can run off some energy in the big backyard.  Tess & Chloe haven't been kenneled since we finished construction! 

2018-05-01_11-11-56 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Chloe is fine....

2018-05-01_11-12-31 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Jenny....is good

2018-05-01_11-13-10 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Tess is pretty sure we don't love her anymore and a day in the kennel is going to KILL her!  The barking last night and this morning (between naps)!  She has a bone, a brand new toy, a comfy bed, can bask in the sun outside, and she sleeps all day! 

Pups are 8 days old today....and starting to look like puppies!
2018-05-01_11-13-38 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-05-01_11-13-50 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

The fun starts pretty soon!  In a week their eyes will be open, in 10 days they'll be walking!
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #374 on: May 02, 2018, 08:45:25 am »

Well out of the blue John said we could keep a Forrest x Jenny puppy!  I floated the idea of breeding Jenny back to Forrest the next time she comes into season and keeping a boy (as long as her labor/delivery and after care goes well this time), so that River would be a little older, but he didn't want to do that. 

So looks like we're going to keep a Forrest x Jenny boy!   We kept a Moo puppy nearly 3 years ago (Secret), but we haven't kept anything out of Jenny or by Forrest yet.  Forrest we should have other opportunities.  He's not quite 7 yet, I do plan to breed him to River down the road, and I have 9 straws frozen for future use and we hope he gets used by other breeders now that he's out on the show circuit.  He's a nice boy with a lot to offer to the breed.  Anyway, Jenny is definitely John's dog, and he wants a Jenny puppy (and who am I to deny him that!).

Babies are all doing great!  We put an 8000 btu window A/C unit in the kennel Monday, and it kept it very comfortable yesterday when temps hit the low 80's.  Our remote temperature monitoring went on the fritz a couple weeks ago, so John got that all back up and running last night, which was cool too.  I also ordered a large outdoor thermometer that I can hang somewhere in the kennel and see with the cameras, we can use that as a backup or double-check.

I've noticed that with the sun & warmer weather the dogs in the kennels have been basking in the sun so I ordered composite kennel decks (2'x 4' raised plastic decking) to put in each kennel so that they can bask up off the concrete where it's clean (so they're not laying on dried urine).  The kennels get pressure washed and disinfected every evening...but still. 

So this weekend we get ready for MORE puppies!  Jenny is officially due NEXT Saturday, but better to be ready early than scrambling.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:46:27 am by Karen »
Karen
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Up