Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Life at Woodland Acres  (Read 13429 times)

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Re: Life at Woodland Acres
« Reply #330 on: January 29, 2018, 07:26:53 am »

16 days!!!

It was a pretty good weekend.  Our Saturday started with a morning trip to the land fill (so exciting!).  I had put a bunch of sheetrock in the bed of the truck, we replaced a toilet last month, and we had a full size mattress & box spring left behind by my son when he moved out in September.  I found someone to put that luxury vinyl plank flooring down in my son's old room (which we plan to use for future litters) after vacation, so getting rid of the bed needed to happen.

We also got a good portion of the FRP up in the kennel, and the g-floor trimmed, glued down and caulked along the tile by the kennels.  That should keep it nice and waterproof.  Secret & River tend to spill their water bowls daily, and Blaze (who is 13 1/2) feels the need to mark in the kennel frequently.  He's old, he's deaf, and there isn't a lot we can do to prevent it, and since it's confined to the kennel, we'll just live with it.  I zip tied the bed in the kennel that River & Secret use to the kennel panel so they can't slide it all over the place, so hopefully that helps with the water spills.  If not, there's another pail I can buy that should fix it...but it's $40.  I'd prefer to solve the problem with zip ties :-)

We still have a few more pieces of FRP to put up, but they're only for a nice finished look and don't prevent additional work, so we'll get around to them.  There's also finishing work....door & window moldings, a ceiling fan, and a couple more LED shop lights to install, but again, they're finishing work that don't prevent the important work from getting done.

Anyway, here are pics.  It looks so much cleaner and finished with the g-floor and FRP up on the wall. 

2018-01-29_08-51-25 

2018-01-29_08-59-11 

Oh!!  I got cabinets and countertops ordered!  SO EXCITED!!  They're the cheapest unfinished cabinets Lowes sells, and prefab laminate countertops, but I plan to paint the cabinets a blue/gray color so hopefully they come out nice.  And I'll have WATER in the garage soon thereafter!!  THAT will be awesome!  I'll have a grooming sink with a regular faucet and a hand sprayer AND a hose spigot in the kennel (also over the sink so we don't have to worry about drips)!!  Cabinets and water will be installed to the left of the window.  The additional countertop will go under/to the right of the window.

Right now hooking up the hose is a bit of a balancing/acrobatic feat, balancing on 4" of concrete slab on the outside of the kennels and boulders to lean over the fence to turn the spigot on, so it'll be a welcome addition to be able to hook up a hose inside the building run it out the door and hose kennels down.

Oh!  And John tried out the new pressure washer.  No electric shock this time.  It works really well, and is perfect for me to easily clean kennels without the frustration of trying to pull start a gas pressure washer, or wait until John can start it for me.

My mother moved into a rented condo in a retirement community 2 weeks ago, so we brought her a load of the boxes we were keeping at our house last night, helped her get some things hung up, and took her out for dinner.  LOVE her place!  It's a large 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo in an active community.  There's a parking garage under the building, a storage unit in the garage for her condo, the clubhouse has an indoor pool, a gym, and ballrooms.  There are bunches of clubs to join, and she seems to have embraced the lifestyle.   Renting will give her the opportunity to see if she really likes the condo/adult community lifestyle before buying into it, and it's only 20 minutes or so from where the house was, so close enough to visit my sisters and their kids, and her friends.

Oh, the point of that.  I got the Escape cleaned up, vacuumed, the windows cleaned, etc.  It's the cleanest it's been in probably 2 yrs!  Dog show in Springfield, MA this weekend (if anyone wants to visit), so I'll be driving it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:24:48 am by Karen »
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #331 on: February 01, 2018, 07:43:33 am »

13 Days!!!

Wrinkle in our plans.  Connor, my son, got a job!!  He took a job doing QC at a local manufacturing company maybe 3 months ago (I posted about it).  I was worried he'd get complacent and stuck there.  They had a graphic design position open up, and they passed him over for it and gave it to someone that had been there longer than him, but was infinitely less qualified for the position. 

That was enough of a kick in the pants to get him sending out resumes again.

He was offered a 2 month contract position at Comcast doing exactly what his masters degree was in, Instructional Design!  And there's a good chance it could lead to a longer/permanent position. 

Here's the catch.  It's a little over 2 hours from the apartment him and his girlfriend moved into in September.  I posted on FB that he was looking for a room to rent Monday night - Friday morning within an hour of work, and a friend got back to me.  He knows someone who works at Comcast also, and commutes by train in, has a big house and has talked about renting out a room.  He's going to check with him to see if he might be willing to for a friend of a friend.  Fingers crossed!

Of course, he starts the day we leave.  He said he and Maddy would work it out and he'd commute while we are gone. 

I'm sure everyone will be fed & cleaned up after.  I'm just not sure how much attention anyone will get, but I guess a little is more than they'd get in a kennel, and the horses really don't care as long as they're fed 2 x day.  I did make arrangements for Moo to board at the kennel she'll be bred at when she comes in (her mother's breeder, actually), so Connor won't have to deal with keeping an eye on her and transporting her to be bred.   Right now Forrest & Jenny are turned out together.  John said "but what if Jenny comes in??"  We plan to breed them when she comes in, so no biggy! 

Dog show this weekend with Forrest & River!  I have NO IDEA how I'm getting everything done.  I work until 4, have a 5 p.m. dentist appointment for a crown (final appointment), have to bathe and dry 2 dogs (I can groom them at the show before ring time), and make a grocery store run (and cook dinner in there somewhere).  Looks like it'll be a late night.  Hopefully John sends me home a couple hours early tomorrow.

Anyway, that's the goings on at Woodland Acres.

Oh!  And so far it's been a good diet week. 
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #332 on: February 05, 2018, 01:38:18 pm »

Made it home from the shows in MA last night around 8 p.m.  Boy was that a cruddy drive!  When I got in the car in MA it was 41 degrees, halfway home the temps dropped to 32 and stayed there.  It poured rain, and then sleet, then I could see the "slush" on the shoulder of the road.  People were, of course, driving too fast as usual.  I got off the highway as soon as I got into PA and took empty back roads home.  It took a little longer, but I only passed a dozen or so cars in 40 miles. 

The good news is Ms. River Song finished the weekend with 3 points!  Her first show weekend and Saturday she went best of winners and best of opposite over a special for 1 point, and then best of winners and best of opposite for 2 points on Sunday!  Forrest was a bit of an idiot on Saturday, but showed well on Sunday.  No love for him though.  I had a picture taken on Saturday...should be interesting, to say the least.

It was a good trip.  I packed a cooler and stayed on my diet all weekend, even with a dunkin donuts in the building!  And this morning I packed lunch for us. 

I have a short list on my other computer of things I'd like to bring next time (like my boots....and a hat & gloves),but I had everything I needed and 99% of what I wanted.  I could use a good book, ear buds to listen to my playlist at the show, or something else to pass the time at the hotel.  I'll have to give it some thought. Saturday I got to the hotel around 5:30, walked dogs, and then had dinner.....then had hours of bad TV and surfing the web.  This particular hotel didn't have a table or a comfortable chair, and very few outlets (I won't stay there again).

I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy on Wednesday (YAY!  not)  Getting old really isn't for sissies.  I should be good and crabby tomorrow. 

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #333 on: February 07, 2018, 07:55:32 am »

Well, snow storm today so colonoscopy cancelled (I rescheduled it yesterday for next month so I didn't have to go through the prep twice).

My son & his GF came over last night for animal care instructions, and since I didn't have to do the whole liquid diet thing yesterday, I got to go out for dinner with them.  Red Lobster.  It was a bit of a cheat meal, but when all was said and done, I wound up using the carry over points from the rest of the week and dipping into my weekly points by just a few points.

7 days!  A week from exactly now we'll have an hour until our plane lands on St. Thomas.  Then a ferry to Road Town (Tortolla), where we'll go through customs and then catch a cab to the marina we chartered the sailboat out of.  We'll do some grocery shopping, then spend the night onboard before John attends the captain's briefing and we sail out of the marina the next day. 

I can't wait.

These are pics I took 2 yrs ago with my phone.  No editing or anything.  It really is that beautiful.

2018-02-07_03-46-06 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-02-07_03-47-36 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:49:52 pm by Karen »
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #334 on: February 08, 2018, 07:50:52 am »

6 days!!!

Our good news is Misty Moo came into season yesterday!  We've been watching and waiting for 3 weeks, and had already arranged to board her with our planned sire's owner while we were away so my son didn't have to deal with getting her there at the right time, etc.

So she'll be dropped off to be boarded Tuesday and will be bred Feb 18, 20 and 22, which means puppies around April 22, ready to go home Father's Day (give or take a few days), if all goes well!  YAY!!  I have 6 puppies spoken for already.

Boy did we get weather yesterday.  It was supposed to be snow.  It turned out to be snow, then ice, then rain, then it all froze, so it was a solid sheet of ice by the time we got home.  John plowed, I cleared the kennels...for an hour and a half!  Ugh!  Moo's litter is to be the "roofing litter".  It should pay for a nice big roof over the kennels so that next winter I'm not chopping ice, AND a metal RV carport over the horse trailer (hopefully).

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #335 on: February 09, 2018, 10:21:01 am »

5 days!!  2  more business days!  Crap has been hitting the fan at work the last couple weeks....but luckily it hasn't been flying in my direction, thank goodness.  Luckily the powers that be are starting to realize the source of ALL the issues over the last 3 years were not me.

On a high note, we picked up the cabinets & countertops for the garage this week.  I have a large utility sink to install in the large base cabinet.  Once we have all that done, plumber!!

2018-02-09_12-08-27 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-02-09_12-08-55 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

I'm going to paint the cabinets...blue I think.  And I found a local guy that will weld me a table frame for the additional 8' countertop, which is awesome!  He said it'll be strong enough to hold 500+ pounds, but light enough to move AND John won't have to build anything.  And no supports underneath the table so I'll be able to fit 3 crates for the seniors under it with some additional room for storage.  Anyway, I'm excited about that!

John also got the dog door installed that the senior citizens can use.  He keeps talking about stuff he needs to do to it, but they're all using it now.  He's hoping to get the guillotine security panel installed this weekend. 

2018-02-09_12-09-33 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

This gives us use of all 4 kennels when necessary, which is cool. 

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:37:41 pm by Karen »
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #336 on: February 11, 2018, 04:37:03 am »

3 days!!

Yesterday I finally got to Michael's for a shadowbox frame for a few of Chloe's ribbons and ordered a custom mat to go with it, got a chalkboard and chalk markers for the kennel for feeding instructions, and then stopped at home depot for paint for the cabinets.  It was raining so I couldn't get the side pieces for the pantries, but I'm going to try to pick them up in the Escape today so I can be done with paint today.

I also need to move 70 bales of hay from the pole barn to the hay shed so there's more than enough to feed while we're gone, along with pulling the feed can out of the horse trailer and putting that in the shed also. 

And grocery shop. 

And finish painting the cabinets and re-assemble.  It's going to be a busy day.

So here's a picture of the cabinets now.  I ran out of paint, so I'll make a run out when Home Depot open today, but hopefully I finish painting, get everything put back together and get a coat of poly on it tonight.   

2018-02-11_06-22-22 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #337 on: February 11, 2018, 02:05:20 pm »

We got THIS far today!

2018-02-11_03-53-44 by Karen Schramm

Nothing is fastened to anything.  It's going to be a little more involved to level the cabinets than John originally thought, but they're all painted!  And the counter was rough cut (a 1/2 inch or so too long).  I've decided I like my kennel cabinets more than my kitchen cabinets. 
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #338 on: February 12, 2018, 09:07:14 am »

42 hours!! 

I ordered pretty glass pull knobs from overstock for the kennel cabinets.  I have a can of polycrylic top coat for the cabinets in a satin finish, and I'm not sure I want to use it, they look so nice the way they are.  I'll do the inside of a door or 2 when we get home from vacation to see if I like it.  If I leave them the way they are, they may actually be easier to touch up...but if I top coat them, I may not need to touch them up.  And around and around we go.

And I just sent the deposit in for my "work bench".  Another 8 feet of counter space AND storage underneath!  YAY!!   I've got a 6' folding banquet table in there now, but the space underneath it isn't usable because of the table supports, which means I have my show stuff piled up against the overhead doors.  It should tidy things up pretty nicely.

I've been working on a "how to take care of dogs and horses while we're gone" document for my son.  This includes no heroic measures for the old dogs.  And if God forbid someone passes or needs to be put down, I don't want to know about it.  Is that terrible?  I just don't want my vacation ruined by something I can't fix while I'm away.

With Moo leaving to be bred while we're gone, I have dogs down to 2 groups rather than 3, and no kennels to clean while we're gone, so that should make his life way easier.
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #339 on: February 13, 2018, 10:07:15 am »

No more countdown!  Last day of work, hopefully not a full day, then home to pack.  We moved hay into the feed shed last night, filled the feed bins and I dropped Moo off at the kennel this morning on my way into work.  My son's been briefed on what needs to be done while we're gone.  It's all written down, along with emergency numbers and who to call for help with horses & dogs, should they need it.

Last load of laundry is in the washer.  The only thing I forgot to get was a couple of books for the trip.  I'll have to stop on the way home today.  Oh, and to turn the crock pot on that I fixed this morning.  Ugh.  I'm WAY past needing a vacation when I forget to turn the crock pot on after I JUST set it up!

We need to head to the airport at 2 a.m.  THAT will be fun.
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #340 on: February 27, 2018, 08:04:14 am »

And we're back.  We traveled ALL DAY yesterday.....

Caught a cab at 9:30 to the ferry
Took the ferry to St. Thomas, arrived around 11:30
Went through customs
Got lunch at the ferry dock
Took a cab to the airport where we waited...and waited
Got on our 1st flight at around 4:15 to Miami
Had a 90 minute layover in Miami, then boarded our last flight at around 7:30 p.m.
Landed, got a van to long term parking and drove home.

I think we pulled in the driveway at 12:30, and went to bed at close to 2 a.m. once we visited with all the dogs and got them calmed down.

So here are a few pictures:

This is Anegada. 

2018-02-27_09-32-40 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-02-27_09-36-22 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

We were on Virgin Gorda at a place called Leverick Bay.   The circled boat is ours.
2018-02-27_09-37-00 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Sandy Cay
2018-02-27_09-38-07 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2018-02-27_09-38-31 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

White Bay:
2018-02-27_09-38-49 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

The beach at White Bay:
2018-02-27_09-39-10 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

John would say winds were up and seas were up, making sailing difficult in the smaller boat we chartered, but it was a wonderful, relaxing vacation, and work didn't call once!

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #341 on: March 01, 2018, 12:31:57 pm »

Back to real life....and snow!  Maybe.  They can't make up their minds if we're getting 2 inches, 12 inches or just rain.  I'm supposed to go to Springfield MA tomorrow after work for a dog show.  I bathed 2 dogs last night, swapped dogs around, cleaned kennels for the clean dogs (Forrest is a mud dog....he'd be covered if I left him in the dog room), and have plans to groom them tonight after grocery shopping and dinner, so I can hit the road after work tomorrow.

From the looks of the forecast right now, if I take the coastal route (through NJ, over the GWB, into eastern CT and up to MA), they're expecting lots of rain but VERY little snow, so I may be able to do that.  I'd probably just leave a bit later so that traffic has a chance to die down.

We shall see.

Well, Moo has been bred.  The stud dog owner wouldn't let me pay him for the stud fee, so I suspect he may want a puppy, depending on how they turn out.  Jenny & Secret both came into season the day after we got back.  Blaze and Forrest are about to lose their minds.  Jenny is a month early, Secret is 2 months early!  And River is bound to come in any minute (she's 10 months old and surrounded by hormones).  This means 2 litters 3 weeks apart.   I'm working on sending Forrest out with a pro handler while we have puppies.  He's at an age where it's now or never (6 1/2 yrs old), and he's a REALLY nice dog.  And I don't want him going to shows and coming back into the house when we have puppies.  Too great a risk for illness/disease.

I did get another stud service inquiry for Forrest last week.  They're waiting for their girl to come into season this month, but said they definitely want to breed to him! 

The table frame for the kennel is ready!  If the show gets snowed out this weekend, I'll see if I can run up to get it on Sunday, once all the snow is cleaned up.  If not, I'm home next weekend, so I'll get it then.  The kennel is pretty darned functional the way it is, so I'm not pushing John to do anything.  Once the table is set up, that will be lots of counter space + storage underneath it for crates. 

I also have a small rubbermaid shed in the pole barn that I bought used to store cleaning stuff in (mop bucket, squeegee, electric pressure washer, cleaning solutions, etc.).  I'm hoping it fits!

John is tired and super stressed from work (it's like we never left), so it's just not fair to ask him to do bunches at home right now.  He'll get it done, or once the puppies are sold, I'll hire someone to finish up the loose ends. 
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #342 on: March 06, 2018, 10:14:48 am »

My house is a zoo....and we're supposed to get 10-14" of snow tonight/tomorrow.  Yesterday my house was covered in mud, so I guess snow is better than mud.  Maybe. 
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #343 on: March 08, 2018, 07:04:04 am »

10" of snow yesterday.  This time John and I stayed home from work.  Apparently most of the state did, so the roads were clear this morning.  Moo is already starting to plump up, so I don't have a lot of doubt that she's pregnant.  Jenny is in standing heat now, so we'll breed her to Forrest this evening. 

I did broach the subject of sending Forrest out to show with a pro with John and he's all for it.   I can cover MOST of the cost of it from my personal spending account, and hopefully once he's out there and people are seeing him, he'll get used for stud enough to cover the rest.  Anyway, I've committed to someone to have him around to use for stud when their girl comes into season (she's due this month), and then he'll leave.

The ponies are all doing great.  They've come through the winter fat and happy.  John needs to apprentice 1 more time before he can judge at field trials, so I contacted the chairman of a trial in mid-April to see if he could apprentice at their trial.  He's checking with the judges to make sure it's okay, but said it was fine with him.  I don't have anything to run right now, but at least, if we both can judge, we can keep our faces out there a bit, while we work on the dog end of things.

I'm hoping we can pick up my table base this weekend.  Also found a wooden pull out garbage can on the FB Marketplace for $40!  I've had one in my kitchen for probably 20 years.  It's the only easily accessible dog-proof garbage can I've EVER found.  And of course, the dogs got into the kennel garbage a couple days ago.  I haven't found one for under $100, and this one, although used and in need of a paint job, looks well made.  And I have paint :-)  I'll pick it up after work today, and hopefully get it all painted this weekend.

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #344 on: March 12, 2018, 07:46:36 am »

Guillotine door over the old dog's dog door!  YAY!!  I know, it sounds like a little thing, but we had no way to keep the old dogs out of the yard, other than dragging a couple crates in front of the dog door, and Tessa has a bad back, and jumping around in deep snow is a trigger.  We can keep her quite comfortable otherwise (so far).  Anyway, it's done!!  A little FRP around the door and some trim, and it'll look awesome!

2018-03-12_09-06-19 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Also this weekend, we picked up my counter-height table frame!  I have an 8' piece of laminate countertop just waiting to be mounted to it!  It's actually the same depth as the cabinets, and with it being totally open underneath, will provide tons of storage!  I got a coat of rustoleum primer on it last night.  I'll paint it to match the cabinets tonight, and then we'll get the countertop put on.  I can't wait!!  And until I'm done, the kennel is pretty much trashed! 

2018-03-12_09-05-54 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

And then! (busy weekend) I unpacked my new whelping box/raised garden bed.  It's vinyl, so super light and a breeze to clean, and comes apart and stows away easily. 

2018-03-12_09-06-36 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

We bought supplies for a new platform this weekend, so hopefully this one will be lighter, and shorter than the last.  The box is 4 x 4, and John made the platform EXACTLY 4 x 4 last time, but used 2 x 6's underneath, so it was too high for the girls.  We always would up giving them some kind of step stool to get in and out.  This time the platform with be made of 2 x 4's and we'll extend it 2 feet so there's a built in step for them.

And speaking of!  Jenny left, Moo right.  Moo is DEFINITELY pregnant.  She should be about 3 weeks now, and her waistline is already growing.  I have a vet appointment for Forrest & Chloe tonight, and will schedule an ultrasound for Moo for the end of the month to confirm, but I have little doubt.

Jenny.....we got our first breeding in Saturday, hoping to get another one in tonight.  But Forrest seems way more interested in Secret & River than Jenny right now, so I'm concerned we missed her.   Time will tell.

2018-03-12_09-06-56 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

We also bought what we should need to permanently install the cabinets!  Once those are in, we can schedule the plumber!! 

Next we're having the carpet torn up in our spare bedroom and putting down vinyl plank flooring.  John was all for having someone else do it, so the guy said he'd get back to me today to schedule it.  It shouldn't be but a half day project if done by someone who knows what they're doing.  It's supposed to be waterproof and easy to clean, so the plan is to set the spare bedroom up so that it doubles as a puppy room when needed.

Oh!  Forrest went to shows this weekend.  Got totally dumped on Saturday, then won the breed Sunday.  He's ranked...#28 Brittany in the country!  I've never had a show dog ranked before.  We got all the details worked out.  I'm bringing another girl home for him to breed this coming weekend, and her owner will pick her up next Saturday, and then Forrest goes out with a pro handler on Sunday for at least 3-4 months to see what she can do with him.  I'd LOVE for him to make it into the Top 20 and get to play in the Top 20 ring at Nationals this year.
Karen
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Up