Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life at Woodland Acres  (Read 12184 times)

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
Re: Life at Woodland Acres
« Reply #315 on: December 10, 2017, 05:19:58 pm »

Walls!  We have real walls!

Kennel3 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

John was busy this weekend.  We're 2 tubes of construction adhesive away from being ready for the kennels!  Saturday was spend setting up surveillance....so we have 2 cameras outside, each focused on 2 kennels, and 1 fisheye camera in the middle of the garage that shows every inch of the garage.  Today was sheetrock and FRP paneling day.  there's still bunches to be done, but the wall behind the kennel is done and the ceiling over the kennel is done. 

We'll pick up the construction adhesive tomorrow and hopefully get the last couple pieces of FRP installed, and the kennels put in place and anchored to the wall. 

This has taken WAY longer than I ever anticipated, but we're on the home stretch now, thank goodness.
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #316 on: December 12, 2017, 07:14:16 am »

Ready for residents!!

2017-12-12_08-19-39 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Moo
2017-12-12_08-20-29 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Forrest
2017-12-12_08-20-45 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

We finished putting the FRP up last night, then set up the kennels, and Moo & Forrest got to christen them today.  Tomorrow they'll be in the basement/backyard so they can run around and burn off some energy, and Jenny, Secret & River will try out the kennel.

The plumber is coming on Thursday morning to take care of a few things around the house, and will quote running hot and cold water (and a drain) to the garage.   Once the plumbing is roughed out, we can finish sheetrocking the wall and get the sink & cabinets installed.  Still so much to do...but the kennels are ready!!

John's got surveillance working.  We just checked in on the dogs and they're fine.

Oh!  And in the first picture, the open kennel on the left...the old dogs (Blaze, Tessa & Chloe) can come and go all day through that kennel.  The door is open outside also, so they have access to the side yard through the kennel, and the garage door is open to the house, so they're not stuck inside all day anymore!  There's an exterior door to the left of the last kennel that we plan to put a dog door in, but in the meantime they have freedom through the kennel.  Yay!!

We put an electric shop heater in the garage so the garage is heated to around 62 degrees, and there is radiant heated floors under the tile, so the dogs have a warm floor to lay on in the kennel if they don't want to lay on the beds.  Once we're really done, we'll move some comfy beds, Chloe's chair (yes, she has a chair) and a few crates into the garage and keep the old dogs in there while we're at work. 

Tonight we need to get the security panels set up.  There's a ring that screws into the panel with a cable attached, and pulleys that go at the top of the wall and in the ceiling, so that you can open and close the security panel from outside the kennel.  Last night I just removed them from the 2 kennels we were going to use today, but it would have been nice to be able to lock Forrest inside when I went to pick poo before I left for work.  Anyway, that should be tonight's project.

I just realized it's 2 months to the day from when we were smacked over the head with the need for kennels, and our "grand opening".  I guess that's not bad.  You know what I'm really looking forward to?

Being able to stop at the store on my way home from work.  For 2 months we've been doing the mad dash home to let dogs outside and juggle them around.  Tonight I can stop at the store on my way home without feeling terrible about the dogs "holding it" longer than they absolutely have to.  I can go to show handling class with River tomorrow night without feeling bad for leaving John home with the zoo.  Little things I took for granted...up until 2 months ago.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:58:53 am by Karen »
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #317 on: December 14, 2017, 07:57:21 am »

2017-12-14_09-07-47 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Guillotine doors are installed!  One step closer to being totally done :-)  The guillotine doors allow us to lock dogs in or out, and they pretty much get rid of all drafts from the dog doors when they're lowered.  They work on a pulley system and we just hook them to the outside of each kennel.  LOVE them. 

John decided he'd rather pay someone to finish it than do it himself, which I'm okay with, so I'm making a list of what needs to be done.  I will say that I'm really looking forward to having water in the garage.  I ordered an electric power washer (should arrive today), but don't really have a convenient water source for it.  John's home dealing with the plumber now....fixing a couple things and getting a quote for the garage plumbing.

The contractor should stop over in the next couple days to see what we've done and what still needs finishing.

Last night was the first time in 2 months that I was able to run an errand on the way home from work without feeling guilty about leaving dogs cooped up longer than absolutely necessary.  It was nice!  Seek & Jenny were perfect in their kennels....the puppy?  Well Ugh.  She pooped outside, she pooped inside, she peed on her bed.  Was great.  This morning John said her kennel was perfectly clean when he let her outside, but when I went in the kennel to feed, she'd pooped and peed in it!  That one!!

I ordered another dog door for the door leading to the side yard for the old dogs.  As you can see in the picture, the kennel to the left's door is open.  The old dogs have been coming and going through that one, so the kennel isn't usable except for a way in and out for them.  Once we get the last dog door installed, we'll have another kennel to use. 

The ponies are all doing great.  They've been enjoying the snow, so far they're doing great weight wise. We had skinny horses once.  I never want to deal with that again, so we're vigilant and worry about it all the time.  It's a nice herd though.  They all get along and I see them all playing together (even Trav).

Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #318 on: December 19, 2017, 07:39:39 am »

Kennels are working out really well.  There are days I think Forrest & Moo prefer them, and their solitude over the big backyard and the youngsters. 

Forrest and I attended our last show of 2017.  We won the breed both days for 4 and 3 point GCH majors, and then a friend who is a pro handler offered to take him in the group ring.  He looked amazing with her, but no love form the judges.

2017-12-18_08-46-32 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

2017-12-18_08-48-16 by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

Not great pictures (they were zoomed in from WAY far away), but he really did look stunning in there.

We got the quote for finishing off the garage....which amounted to us supplying the sheetrock, frp, cabinets & countertops, and the contractor supplying the screws and labor. $2800.  Both of us thought that was a bit out of line for what amounts to probably less than 3 full days of work.  John actually agreed that it was quite a bit higher than he expected for the work that needs to be done, so he said he'd do it himself, he'll just need a little time.  None of this is a huge deal, except the garage is cluttered, and cleaning isn't as easy as I'd like (lugging hot water from the kitchen to mop the kennels every few days).  It doesn't keep us from using the kennels, so we can pick away at it.

Ultimately I'd like to give our senior dogs comfy places to hang out in the garage and keep them in there loose with access to the side yard when we're not home, so the house always looks the same when we get home as when we leave, but the garage has to be totally finished for that to happen.  There's just too much crap (tools & construction material) in there right now that there's just no space for anything.

John did finish painting the kitchen, dining room, living room and TV room over the weekend, and painted all the trim, so the place looks brand new and matches now.
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #319 on: December 22, 2017, 09:21:07 am »

Riveroutside by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

outside runs by Karen Schramm, on Flickr

So this is where we stand right now.   John said something about hanging some more sheetrock this weekend if he has time, which I doubt he'll have time for, but it is what it is.  The contractor emailed the quote a 2nd time "just to make sure we got it".  Yup, we got it.

I ordered something called G-Floor yesterday.  It's a 8 1/2 x 22' piece of PVC/Rubber material that is used for garage flooring.  Lots of people use it in a kennel environment so I'm going to see how it does covering the rest of our garage floor (instead of tiling the entire garage floor).  If it works out, I'll need to tile a 5' x 6' area in front of the door, but that's about it, which would be cool.  The grinding down the top layer of concrete is messy and time consuming. 

We've done most of our shopping for Christmas, but no decorating yet!  Talk about getting down to the wire!  John painted the common areas in the house last weekend and worked on trim across the week...and the house was messy and dusty.  The cleaning lady comes today (every other Friday), so once the house is clean, we can decorate.

Obviously John got a couple cameras up and running, which is cool! 

My power washer arrived yesterday finally.  I don't have a lot of strength in my right arm after breaking it years ago, so I ordered an electric power washer so my ability to REALLY clean the kennels wasn't dictated by John being around to pull start the gas power washer.

I found one of those Rubbermaid composite sheds (the ones that are 2 1/2' deep x 4' wide x 6' high) used local for $150, so we're supposed to pick it up tomorrow.  Since we can't use the overhead garage door, my plan is to put the shed against it, and store the power washer, a mop bucket, squeegie, mop, broom, etc., in it.  All the stuff you need but don't need sitting out in the open.  Heck, maybe even an extra bag of dog food will fit!  I've been browsing for one, and this is $110 less than a brand new one...and what can you possibly do to it?  It's plastic.  Anyway, just one more thing we need to do in the middle of the weekend.  John must really love me :-)

If I don't post again, everyone have a safe and wonderful Christmas!!
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #320 on: December 26, 2017, 08:04:58 am »

So John and Mariel picked the shed up (it's disassembled), and I tried out my new electric pressure washer...which promptly shocked me!!  Not bad...but I could feel my arm "buzzing" and got a few static electricity shocks, so it's being returned for a replacement.

Christmas was nice.  13 of us this year.  We decided to skip the traditional turkey dinner for grilled beef tenderloin, baked potatoes (regular & sweet), green beans and dinner rolls.  WAY easier and everyone seemed to really enjoy it.  I made a cherry pie and cheese cake... and chocolate blitzens (a dessert cocktail with chocolate ice cream, vodka, Bailey's and cream de cocao).  Others brought TONS of desserts, so we have cookies for the foreseeable future.

My son & GF (Maddy) look to be doing well together.  They've been dating for close to 5 years, and got an apartment together 3 months ago, so this is their first time being pulled in many directions over the holidays, and they seem to have survived it well. 

John got me an internet radio to go in the kennel, and a frying pan!  The frying pan was a gag gift, but I've had a farberware cooking set since I started cooking, and the handle of my frying pan finally broke.  John got me a 10" pan, but it was a little smaller than the one I had before, so this new one is a 12" pan.  Hopefully I'll get another 30 years of use out of it.

I didn't get John anything big this year.  Slippers, a few warm shirts, a pair of dockers, an insulated aluminum beer cup, a mug with a sailboat on it.  Stuff to open, and things he needs but won't buy for himself, but nothing exciting.

He had expressed an interest in a larger TV, so I budgeted for a 65" TV for a "house Christmas present", which was delivered several days early on the 23rd, so that was awesome.  He's been playing around with it ever since, so we ordered the whole movie package from our cable provider, which we'll probably cancel in a few months (because after looking at their line up, there's STILL nothing good on TV).

We got the quote for the plumbing for the kennel...$1250 + whatever faucet I pick out.  It's higher than we thought it would be, but the guy has been much lower on everything else, so we're not about to shop around (He stopped by on the 23rd to fix a leak and charged us $50).

We need to get the wall & cabinets in first, so we're not ready yet, but hopefully soon. 

Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #321 on: December 31, 2017, 09:54:34 am »

A replacement pressure washer arrived Thursday, but it's too darned cold to test it out, so it'll sit in the box until it warms up enough to test it.  I'll pack the old one up later today so I can get it sent back next week.

John decided he had to go into work today (Yes, on new years eve), so I un-decorated the house, tossed the tree outside, swept and vacuumed and put the house back together, and did a couple loads of laundry.  Needless to say my kennel isn't progressing at all.  I contacted someone for a quote to just hang the sheetrock.  Hopefully I'll hear back quickly.  I'm ready to be done with the project.

Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #322 on: January 02, 2018, 02:07:20 pm »

43 days until we leave for the British Virgin Islands!  I cannot wait!!!  Restaurants and attractions are re-opening and it will be away from work!  FAR away!  I can't tell you how much we both need this. 

Recommitted to WW today after being absolutely off the reservation for the last several months (and gaining 20 lbs!!).   I threw everything that was not plan friendly away last night.  So far today has been okay.  I've been struggling with a terrible cold/virus the last week, so we'll see how exercising goes this evening.  I figure 15-20 minutes is better than nothing.

I'm getting lots of puppy inquiries!  YAY!  We have 2 litters planned this spring.  Moo will have her 3rd (and probably final litter, unless it's extremely small), and Jenny will have her 2nd litter.  By the time we're done with these 2, we'll need a year off from puppies!  But both girls are 6 yrs old, so we really can't wait any longer.

Work is work...same old same old, but it pays the bills.  My New Years resolution, aside from getting back to Weight Watchers, is to simply care less about work. 

Hope everyone else had a great New Year celebration! 
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #323 on: January 04, 2018, 09:09:41 am »

41 days!!

Yes, you're stuck with me counting down.  Work is the same as always, and home is just busy!  We're getting a couple inches of snow today, and frigid temps tomorrow & Saturday (they say it'll feel like -20 tonight when I'm feeding horses YAY!  not!).

Our automatic waterer is still working!!  We check it twice a day, but this is the longest really cold spell we've had since installing...and we KNOW we didn't install the water line deep enough.  We would have had to blast to do that.  Truth be told we usually don't get weeks where temps never get out of the teens.  A day here and there, sure.  But not weeks on end.

John got 2 more pieces of drywall up a couple days ago, and moved the heater a couple feet. 

I'm on day 3 of weight watchers and doing well.  Stayed within my points, exercised and got my 12,000 steps in each day.  I've decided that it must be a priority.  Especially since I have to buy all new summer clothes for our trip since the last set are 2 sizes too small!  YIKES!!  But the donuts someone put in the kitchen here at work are calling!!! 

WW changed the plan a bit.  They made skinless white meat chicken & turkey, fish & beans zero points, but then lowered your daily points from 29 to 23.  So far it's interesting.

My 80 calorie yogurt is 2 points, 2 eggs with 1 piece of canadian bacon and some fat free cheese is 0 points (probably 200+ calories).  This means most of my points are used on snacks.  I have a high protein meal bar planned for this afternoon (to help me get to dinner), and then a dessert yogurt for dessert tonight, and I'll still have a few points left.  It'll be interesting to see how this works.  I wasn't happy with the last change they made....maybe this will be better.

Please stay warm & safe today.  The weather looks pretty miserable out there.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:41:33 pm by Karen »
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #324 on: January 08, 2018, 08:47:35 am »

37 days! 

This was a lost weekend.  We had John's daughter this weekend, and she had a team project she needed to do, so he picked her up 35 miles away Friday, then brought her to a classmate's house 45 miles back at noon on Saturday.  We went to a movie while we waited for her to finished, then picked her up and went home.  By then it was 5:30, so feed dogs, and cook dinner, then feed horses and my day was over.

Sunday they decided we were going to the Farm Show, so we left the house at 7 a.m., and didn't get home until 6, where John picked up Mariel's stuff and took her home. 

I did find a vendor who did custom embroidery onsite, so I had a grooming apron & a couple baseball caps embroidered with a Brittany puppy with "Woodland Brittanys" across them. 

So nothing accomplished (again) this weekend.

I did find LED shop lights for the kennel that I really liked (they look like flourescent lights, but are LED, brighter, and come with diffusers), and the best part is they use a regular plug (for which we have in the ceiling for the garage door opener) and you can daisy chain up to 10 lights.  So my lighting issues should be solved.  I ordered 4 of the fixtures, which arrived yesterday.

John got 2 pieces of drywall up on the ceiling last week.

My mother moved out of her house of 46 years on Friday, and into a retirement condo.

As far as work goes, it's just a string of disappointing days at the office.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:50:36 am by Karen »
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #325 on: January 09, 2018, 09:14:17 am »

We went to 1 field trial last season...the first one of the season.  I judged, Mariel & John rode, then the 2nd day it poured rain and we headed home.

This season we were asked to judge in March.  John said no.  It's not that he doesn't want us to field trial, he just didn't want to judge THERE, so he says.  He harped on the only way to FIX all the issues we see with trialing is to judge.  Then we're asked and he says no. 

We have 5 horses between the ages of 6 and 18.  We bought his daughter a horse 15 months ago, and she doesn't even wander into the paddock to say hello to her horse when she's over, and you might as well not even bother asking her to feed them.  She politely declines (not my kid, so I have no enforcement ability).  We have 9 dogs between the ages of 8 months and 13 1/2 yrs old.  We just spent a boatload of $$ converting our garage into a kennel and I have a dog with a pro trainer.

He spent last spring running my #1 dog in her last season of competition to get enough placements to be able to judge. 

And I'm not hopeful that John will want to hit a trial....ever. 

Do you ever get to the point you want to sell off everything and just climb into bed and stay there? 
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #326 on: January 11, 2018, 09:18:45 am »

Yesterday was Weigh In Wednesday.  I was down 1.2 lbs.  I'll take it since Sunday (at the farm show) was a disaster.    I think I like the "Freestyle" changes they made to the Weight Watchers plan (I HATED going from points plus to smart points). 

Because chicken, fish, shellfish & eggs are now free, along with fruits and veggies, I can literally eat nearly every meal on a handful of points.  I am getting back into the swing of things, making time for exercise, and cooking and packing lunches.  Fingers crossed I don't get derailed.

John did work on the kennel last night.  Finished up a bunch of electrical, has a box ready to hang a ceiling fan and 2 outlets to plug in LED shop lights, got the hardest piece of sheetrock up on the ceiling (lots of plugs and cut outs), then got the overhead garage door hooked back up and working. He said he wants to spend the weekend working on it (YAY!!), so that being the case, we should be able to get all the drywall up.  THEN we'll be ready for g-floor & cabinets!!  Then plumbing (that we're having done)! 

I can't wait until it's really done, and all the tools are gone, and everything is put away and it looks clean and is really usable. 
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #327 on: January 15, 2018, 08:09:28 am »

30 days!!

We did get the drywall finished in the kennel yesterday, which was awesome.  It's brighter and much warmer.

I also got isolation panels up in the kennels inside.  They're actually just corrugated plastic sheets cut to size, but they should do the job.  We put them outside on either side to help cut down on wind, and they've held up surprising well, and what we had leftover (we cut 4'x8' sheets into 4'x5' pieces for outside) required just a little trimming to fit inside.  I'd love to buy HDPE for the isolation panels both inside and out, but no one by me carries it, and it's SO expensive to have shipped!  The next time we're heading to Ohio we may need to make the time to stop and get some at Menards.

Hopefully we spend this week getting the FRP up, and then putting the flooring down.  The FRP paneling will cover the lower 8' of most of the walls, so another layer of insulation, and less taping and spackling to do!

So before:

2018-01-15_08-43-11 by

2018-01-15_08-47-54 by

2018-01-15_08-48-53 by

And where we're at now:

2018-01-15_08-11-08 by

2018-01-15_08-10-33 by

2017-12-07_08-29-15 by

We also have a ceiling fan to install, along with 2 more LED shop lights, and a baby gate at the top of the steps once the landing is enclosed.

THEN cabinets & plumbing!!  I ned to get to the plumbing supply store to pick out the grooming faucet I want.  I actually have one all picked out.  I just have to have them order it.

Then there's the finishing work that I really don't care about....finishing the windows and trimming them and the doors out. Taping and spackling the ceiling and above where the FRP will be. 

But progress!!  YAY!!
Karen
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Up