Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Life at Woodland Acres  (Read 13168 times)

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Re: Life at Woodland Acres
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 09:14:07 am »

Work pulled a HUGE crappy on me last week.  Their written policy says that they will pay out any unused vacation time the 1st pay period after your anniversary date. 

I had 9 unused vacation days, and instead of paying me out for all 9 of them, they decided to deduct personal days from unused vacation and pay me out only 4 days, costing me somewhere in the area of $1200 and a week's unused vacation.

Personal days are to be used for things that you are unable to give 14 days advanced notice for (like doctors visits and other "personal" type things that have to be done during business hours), and we get "unlimited" sick and personal days per year.

I'm absolutely furious and preparing my resume to send to a head hunter.  I've worked here for 9 years.  I'm on call 24/7/365.   The powers that be have consistently dumped on the IT department, and I've really reached the end of my rope.  They have not updated policies or advised employees of the change to their procedures, so I can only imagine how many others will be robbed of vacation days (although I do know they allowed someone who took personal days to carry unused vacation days to their next year as recently as April).

Last year (11/1/13 - 10/31/14) I took a total of 14 days off (6 vacation, 3 sick, 5 personal...so no, I did not take advantage, nor have I ever taken advantage of their sick and personal day policy).  I've just submitted for 14 vacation days...trying to figure out what to do with that last one....and I will no longer drag my sick butt to work or make an effort to schedule several doctors' appointments on the same day, which will equate to FAR MORE paid time off than I took this year.

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 12:58:19 pm »

Trying to get Dr's appointment and referral for blood work.  I'm achy and my joints hurt.  Had a deer tick (or 2) last weekend.  Wondering if I've finally contracted Lyme.  We're high risk between living in the woods (and spending our weekends clearing and cutting trees up), having working bird dogs and the horses.    Just feeling cruddy.   
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 08:37:25 am »

Feeling a bit better today...maybe just a virus.  Not thrilled with the local doctor conglomerate (Coordinated Health), so the mammogram tech recommended her doctor. 

Called on Friday to make an appointment, they called back this morning.  "Are you available Tuesday or Thursday?", Me: "Yes, either day".  Them:  "Ok, Thursday at 10:15".  Me: "Ok that works".  Them:  "You've been here before?" .  Me:  "No".  Them:  "Oh, well I don't have an appointment for a new patient until next month". 

REALLY????  You have at least 2 openings THIS week for existing patients, but can't see a new patient for a month? 

What is wrong with healthcare in this country????  They didn't even ask about insurance.  They just don't want new patients?

On a high note, John got the wood stove in the basement fired up for the first time (well, first time seriously) since we moved into the house almost 2 yrs ago, and it looks like it should reduce our fuel costs significantly this winter, thank goodness.   Hopefully we'll recoup our log splitter expense this year, and then we'll see real savings next year.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:04:11 am by Karen »
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 07:08:00 am »

More that's wrong with healthcare.

I went online and got a quote from Cignna Home Delivery Pharmacy for a single tube of cold sore meds...the smallest the pre-packaged meds comes in.  $23.  Cool!  I don't need it immediately, so plenty of time to mail it in, and my regular co-pay is $35, so I'll save $12.

I mailed the Rx into Cigna home delivery pharmacy 10 days ago and today a $70 charge hits my bank account.  Although there were no refills for the Rx, they assumed the meds were a "90 day supply" and tripled what they quoted me online! 

They'll be cancelling the order, refunding my $70 (7-10 business days!) and mailing my prescription back to be filled elsewhere at half the cost (but still $12 more than they quoted).
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 12:04:04 pm »

Well, apparently Encore likes to keep us on our toes.  He walked away from his grain yesterday, both meals.  I texted Meredith (who we purchased him from), and she confirmed that he's a southern boy, so looks like the new guy needs a blankie this winter.

So $144 later, a medium weight blanket with neck wrap is on order.

He's eating REALLY slowly though.  It's supposed to warm up considerably this weekend and into next week, so if this continues, I think it might be time to call the dentist out.  At his age, he may never have seen a dentist before.

Quinn's been off on his front right for 2 1/2 weeks.  We've been keeping an eye on him, kind of waiting for him to get worse or better, blow an abscess or something.  Farrier was out today for his regular, 6 week trim and to put winter shoes on everyone.  He took hoof testers to Quinn's foot, found it sensitive on the inside, and said to continue to keep an eye on him, check for a pulse and heat in that foot and to just wait and see at this point.

We decided to NOT breed Moo this fall/winter, but to wait until the spring.  Jenny came into season on 11/1, Moo came in on 11/9, and things are CRAZY at our house.  Jen's off at shows this weekend, so by the time she gets home on Monday, she'll be out, but Moo wakes up every morning between 4-5 a.m. and just moans (we're calling her Moaning Mertle now).  It's pathetic!  She's not tired, so no one gets any sleep.  I cannot wait for her to be out and turned back out with the rest of the pack!
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 01:30:27 pm »

Funny how things change so fast!  Encore is eating well and seems to be gaining weight.  I need to strip his blanket off him and check him over this weekend in the daylight, but he seems less ribby and his neck is filling out.

We decided to wait until spring to breed Moo, and I instantly have 7 names on my waiting list (Moo was one of 7, so we expect she'll have around the same number of puppies). 

I brought Forrest out to show for a single weekend a couple weeks ago and he went breed one day over the #14 Brittany in the country....so he's ready :-)

THEN showed his little brother last weekend (Newman), who went WD his 2nd time in the ring for his 1st point  :)

NoJenny is leaving for winter field camp in a couple weeks, still needing 1 last point to finish her show CH title, but it's just going to have to wait until she's home again. 

Everyone else is doing well.   Quinn doesn't seem to be off on his front right anymore.  We suspect it was a stone bruise.   Trav is doing well. 

We managed to get 400 bales of hay put up for the winter, which SHOULD get us well into June and to first cutting.   We've made arrangements for Encore to go visit Gary for a month before field trial season starts.  He's young and I'd rather not be the 1st one back on his back after being turned out all winter.  I should probably have the dentist out before he goes.  We'll have to see if weather will allow it.

Doing some dog showing this winter......going to Tallmadge Ohio in a couple weeks, then Westminster, MD, then Erie, PA.  That's all I have planned so far.  Just me and Forrest.  It'll be nice to show just 1 dog for a change.

Christmas is a week away.  My family (my parents and 2 sisters & their kids) made the decision to support my sister's efforts to "make happy memories" in her new home (you know, the home she's lived in for 18 months already AND the one she's already planning on moving away from in 4 yrs, when her younger daughter graduates high school) instead of joining us and John's family for Christmas dinner like they have the last several years.  I'm a bit perturbed....but whatever.

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2014, 09:51:12 am »

How do you address the inevitable "We'll miss you tomorrow" statement when it was THEIR choice to not be together on Christmas?  God give me strength to NOT speak my mind.
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 10:17:51 am »

Made it through the holidays without burning any bridges (YAY!!).  We had a full house of 14 for Christmas.  John got me a fantastic upgraded GPS tracking collar for the dogs, I got him a stereo and speakers for his new boat (installed already  :))

Haven't ridden a horse since early November, but feed & check up on them daily.  Encore has gained TONS of weight and looks awesome!  Quinn also looks good mid-winter, as does Trav.

Before:

Quinn and Encore are doing really well together.  We don't have to guard grain, they share hay nicely, and Encore even has Quinn playing these days:

Encore seems to have acclimated to the climate here.  Still have a medium weight blanket & neck wrap sitting here in the box for him, but he hasn't needed it yet.  It was 15 this morning and he ate fine and didn't look cold, so with a little luck I can ship it back to Schneider's unopened in a few more weeks.

Dogs are all doing well.  Forrest picked up another BOB win in early December, then his "little" brother, Newman, who is owned by friends of ours, got his first point toward his CH title.  Chloe and NoJenny left to winter in Alabama with their trainer a week ago.  Miss them, but I know they're in good hands.

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 08:44:23 am »

So 9 days on WW, my weekly home weigh in says I'm down 5 lbs.   Went to my first meeting last night so I have a starting place for there too.    Now to stay motivated....

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2015, 05:12:30 am »

Down 2 more pounds, for a total of 7.   Dog shows this weekend, John has the virus that's been going around, and I'm getting it....so maybe no dog shows this weekend.  Darn

Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 05:18:19 am »

The scale was kind this morning.  Down another 2 lbs this week, for a total of 9 lbs so far. 

Just when you think you're getting ahead.....

John  and I get pretty nice Christmas bonuses every year so this year we paid off a bunch of almost-paid-off bills....some with pretty sizeable monthly payments.  When all was said and done, we were able to reduce our bills by more than $700/month.  Woo hoo!!

My son, who is in his senior year at East Stroudsburg University goes back to school yesterday.  I asked him to talk to the financial aid office about how we go about getting a student loan for the summer term since his adviser told him he should apply for a summer internship to satisfy his graduation requirements.  The internship would count as a 12 credit course over 12 weeks.  The financial aid office advised that there is no way to get a student loan for summer classes even if you're going full time.  Woo hoo...not.

I had planned to play $1000 toward summer classes, not $5000 toward them.  He went back to his adviser who "didn't know you couldn't get financial aid for summer classes".  Idiot.

So my plans (dreams) to get Forrest into the Top 20 Brittanys in the country in 2015 are changed.   I've committed to 2 more dog shows this winter, paid entries, booked hotel rooms (and committed to share those rooms), and then we're done in the show ring, probably until the very end of 2015.  That money (and then some) MUST go toward college tuition.   We were all blind sided by this, thanks to Connor's adviser, but other than Connor waiting to do his internship until the Fall, and delaying starting "real life/his career" for months, this is what has to happen.

Had I known 4 weeks ago a lot of things would have been VERY different.  Chloe would be home...not in Alabama with her field trainer.  Not sure if I can afford for Encore to spend 30 days with Gary before field trial season starts...hell, not sure if I can afford field trials season!  But of course, I have a dog in Alabama with a trainer getting ready, and monthly payments on a horse trailer AND 3 horses in my front yard.

I'll be very lucky if I can afford the stud fee to breed Moo this spring also.  7 people committed to buying puppies, and I'm not sure if I can afford the breeding.  Just perfect.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:13:47 am by Karen »
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2015, 06:35:14 am »

So as of this morning I am down 10.2 lbs!  My first 10 pounds GONE!!  And this morning I'm wearing a pair of jeans that migrated to the bottom of the drawer because they were a tad too tight.
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2015, 07:24:32 am »

So I'm home alone this morning (John had to go into work and he took Mariel with him), so I'm all excited.  After 3 weeks of fruit, yogurt and oatmeal for breakfast, I'm going to make a REAL breakfast.

2 egg omelet with onions and peppers and a little light cheese, 2 pieces of lite rye toast, a banana and coffee.  I get it all ready, sit down to eat it....and I don't like the omelet!  There's a funny taste in it...not sure what it is, but now I'm having toast, a banana and coffee for breakfast.  Darn!

Oh well...I should head down to the pole barn, warm up the tractor and figure out this back blade thing so John can get back in the driveway anyway.   

Poor guy got up at 2:45 a.m. to go into town to pick my son up at work (40 minute round trip) who is totally paranoid about wrecking his new car, then got back up at 6:00 a.m. for work.
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2015, 09:42:50 am »

Back to looking for a hairdresser.  If I go back to this one, I'll have scabs in place of hair next time.  3 cuts and every stinking one shorter than the last one.  I'm not happy. 
Karen

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 05:19:05 am »

Down another 2 lbs this week...so just over 11 lbs this month.  Enough to stay motivated for sure.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:13:43 pm by Karen »
Karen
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25   Go Up