Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Life at Woodland Acres  (Read 12171 times)

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
Re: Life at Woodland Acres
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 08:19:53 am »

First round of allergy testing is done AND...(drum roll please)

Mariel is allergic to NOTHING! Not horses, not dogs, not cats, not ragweed, not mold....NOTHING! HA!! 

Can't help but wonder if her mother is feeling a bit defeated right now.  She's sworn up and down for years that Mariel had allergies.  She's given that poor kid Zyrtec every stinking day of her life for the last 3+ years...for absolutely no reason at all, and now she's been proven allergic to NONE of the common allergens AND she can't prevent Mariel from riding horses or showing dogs (she had forbade the kid to go near a horse or dog show "until we get to the bottom of this"). 

The allergist plans to do 1 more round of testing, this time for some spring pollens that weren't included in the 1st round, but the end result is pretty much the same.  She's already tested negative for all the unique things Mariel is exposed to at our home.

Of course, what this DOES mean is that Mariel definitely has exertion related asthma, with very few environmental triggers at this point.  That would be a good thing IF her mother allows her to carry and use her inhaler as it's been suggested repeatedly.

And now that Mariel has gone through the testing and she's certainly old enough and bright enough to understand the results, AND she understands exactly what her mother was trying to take away from her....well, all this will backfire on the stupid woman, sooner rather than later I'd think.

Poor kid has been forced to take Zyrtec by her mother for the last 3+ years....every single day (except when with us) for 3+ yrs instead of being tested for asthma

Wonder what it feels like to be SO WRONG as a parent about the health and well-being of your only child?
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 03:39:32 pm »

This morning was Mariel's appointment with the pediatric pulmonologist and guess what!  SHE HAS ASTHMA! 

Her mother chose to not come to the appointment that was made over a month ago, and she also chose to not call in.  I doubt she'll even get a copy of the records (so concerned, you know).

The pulmonologist did insist Mariel have access to an inhaler at all times, and to that end he signed the permission slip for an inhaler to be kept at school and administered by the nurse.  She's to take it as needed and before gym and other sports activities, and is to return to the pulmonologist in 3 months with the rest of her allergy testing.

John dropped Mariel back and school and stopped in the office with her inhaler and the permission slip from the doctor, so at least that's been managed.

Her mother is still sticking to the story that she never has asthma attacks at home, even though all the unique allergens have been ruled out, which means her mother won't take time to learn about the disease or help Mariel understand it. 
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 07:38:57 am »

What a great weekend our first field trial weekend was!!  Our maiden voyage in the new trailer was pretty successful.  We had a couple surprises while we got set up, but nothing bad and we managed to conserve enough power to have lights and heat for the 2 nights we were there (and it was 30's both nights!).  We STILL don't think the new converter is working correctly.....or the trailer is wired wrong.  We're not sure which one yet, but hopefully the dealer will be able to answer that for us later today (have email ready to go out to him, just need John to proof it to make sure my facts are correct).

Chloe, our 7 yr old field dog, finished her Field Champion title this weekend!  We've had SUCH a roller coaster ride with this little dog, that this is a HUGE accomplishment for both her and me (she's the first dog I've put every single point on to finish their title). 

Shiner did great.  She's a brat, and she tests, but she's not stupid, and she has a great mind.  I cannot wait to get back on her this weekend!!
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 09:57:06 am »

Mariel's mother just never ceases to amaze.  The day after John took Mariel to the pediatric pulmonologist, who diagnosed her with asthma, and signed a permission slip for her to have her rescue inhaler at school, to use "as needed and may use before physical activity", her mother called the school and said "it says MAY, not MUST, so don't give it to her before gym". 

UNBELIEVABLE!  She didn't speak to the pulmonologist, she couldn't have possibly gotten a report or letter about the visit...she just decided Mariel would NOT use her inhaler as prescribed!!

John has a message into the doctor to have "MAY" changed to should, or preferably MUST.  We've drafted a letter to both the pediatrician and allergist, so they know she's under the care of a pulmonologist so they don't change his orders inadvertently, and I'd imagine we'll be going BACK to court. 

Then on top of that, when John went to pick Mariel up for dinner last night, she was running late because she just had a coughing fit.  A perfectly healthy kid, with no cold, no runny nose, no post nasal drip, no nothing, had a coughing fit (her mother's words), and what did the idiot do?  Gave her delsym.  Not her rescue inhaler...it wasn't an asthma attack.  DELSYM! 

UGH!!!!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:27:08 am by Karen »
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 08:09:30 am »

Well, Mariel went for her 2nd round of allergy testing.  She had VERY mild reactions to a couple spring pollens UNTIL they cleaned her arm, and mixed all the pollens together with alcohol.  She still had a reaction far less than the control, but because of it, she goes back on the 28th for "more thorough testing" of the things that appeared to react this time. 

John said the allergist was ready to pull the plug on testing until they mixed everything together and a couple of spots reacted.

Her mother is on some kind of allergy witch hunt!  She has Mariel programmed to say she has a little cold ALL the time.  So now the allergist told her no more zyrtec (yes, her mother has been pumping her full of zyrtec EVERY stinking day), and prescribed Flonase instead.  We'll see if her mother is motivated enough to go to the pharmacy and have the Rx filled, or if she just continues with the Zyrtec.

Mariel clears her throat a lot trying to clear her lungs from mild and untreated asthma attacks.  There are notes in her pediatrician's file that it's "habit".  It's not habit.  But it's not post nasal drip as her mother is telling the allergist.

How do doctors do their jobs effectively when a parent is not telling them the truth?    Or is too ignorant to recognize it?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:26:33 am by Karen »
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 10:01:00 am »

Ever wonder what life would be like if you made the decision to be absolutely miserable every single day for the rest of your life?  John's ex pisses me off to no end with how bitter and horrible she is, but there are days I truly pity her.   

Her lawyer announced to the master that her client was too hateful to reach any kind of agreement, and when questioned, admitted that it was probably her hate that caused her to refuse to accept the diagnosis of asthma, as she'd have to admit John had anything to do with Mariel's existence.  Her own lawyer could not justify her own client's actions so had no choice but to toss her under the bus.

Her entire life revolves around trying to punish John for leaving her....doing everything in her power to try and make him as miserable as she is, but what she doesn't understand, and never will is that she has very little impact on our lives, and even when she manages to do something so stupid we have no choice but to react, it's always short lived. 

6 years, 10 months, and 22 days.  We are nearly to the halfway point, and her influence is less and less the older Mariel is.

John and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary in April, and in the 5 years we've been together, I can't remember a single fight.  We love each other and accomplish tons together.  We have great jobs (as much as we complain about them), were able to sell both my house and John's house (the one he had built trying to make his ex wife happy), and bought a simple home that fit the lifestyle we both wanted.  We have acreage, and the horses home, and success both professionally and personally.  My dogs have done awesome the last couple years, John's done great out on the water in his sailboat.

We both have hobbies we enjoy...with or without each other.  Our weekends are full, our days are happy, and Mariel's mother does not have the power over either of us to change that.  That is OUR choice.  Her's was to be a horrible, bitter, hateful and vengeful person, who will most definitely die alone.  She can't help but totally alienate Mariel in the future.

So Mariel's mother has CHOSEN the life she has.  Instead of admitting she had something to do with her divorce, she's firmly planted her butt on the "victim train"....that goes nowhere and does nothing.  Mariel says she comes home from work, eats the dinner her own mother has made for her, then goes to her room and watches TV.  She isn't parenting Mariel, isn't doing anything fun with her, isn't enjoying her beautiful 11 yr. old daughter while she can.  She's drowning her sorrows in a bucket of ice cream, becoming more and more agoraphobic by the year, and has now missed out on 6 years of living, licking her wounds, and plotting how to get even with us.  She's CHOSEN to live that way.  Pitiful excuse for a human being.

Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 12:56:12 pm »

Sooooo 6 years, 10 months,  2 days.

John was BACK in court last week for a "records hearing".  It was put on record that Marlene is to follow doctors orders EXACTLY.  Joint custody was changed to Primary Residential Parent and Legal custodial parent (or something like that).  This means that Marlene is responsible for paying for all doctors visits, having all prescriptions filled AND providing those prescriptions to John when he has visitation with Mariel.  It basically makes it easier to prove her unfit in the future (apparently PA doesn't do joint custody, for exactly these reasons). 

Additionally, she was forced (and I mean the owner of the law firm she retained came to the hearing to force Marlene into agreeing) to agree to 2 extra weeks with John per year...2 summer weeks per calendar year, not to be taken consecutively, and 2 "anytime weeks", which means we CAN pull Mariel out of school for vacations in the future, although we fully expect a court visit will be required the first time we say we're going to.

We immediately looked at the summer schedule, since we can't take consecutive weeks and we have to give 30 days notice and submitted dates for a 3rd week this summer, which Marlene immediately refused, stating she'd need to call her lawyer, she didn't think the agreement went into effect until NEXT year (yeah, the judge decided they should wait 6 1/2 months before the agreement goes into effect?).

Anyway, John got a matter of fact email back a couple hours later that the dates requested were fine, which means her lawyer told her to stop being an idiot.

So now we wait.  John has Mariel tomorrow evening.  We'll see if she has her inhaler with her.
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 08:45:55 am »

No inhaler provided for his Tuesday night dinner with Mariel. 
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 01:34:26 pm »

Will wonders never cease.  After 11 months, 3 trips to court, thousands of dollars in attorney fees, no less than 3 rounds of allergy testing, and 3 independent diagnoses of asthma, Mariel now has access to her inhaler when with her mother (and says she's had to use it at her mother's house) and is carrying a purse with the inhaler in it when she goes out.  She must have had one hell of an asthma attack at home.

Last night Mariel plopped herself in her dad's chair with her inhaler and told me she'd been coughing and was going to take it.  She's finally realizing that it won't hurt her and could help (she has a lingering cough from a cold that is complicating matters).  Thank God!  Baby steps for sure, but at least she has access to her inhaler and knows to use it if she starts coughing.
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 08:12:10 am »

Time to start a new adventure.  It became painfully obvious that Shiner wasn't going to settle down in a field trial environment, so as much as I hated to do it, we decided to move her onto a situation she'd be better suited for.  She was sold to a wonderful trail riding home last weekend, who may breed her at some point in the future. 

We turned around and bought a young (3 yr old) gelding from one of the field trial wranglers on Sunday.  He's a calm, point and go kind of horse.  He's great with the guns, dogs, gallery of horses, will separate and go off and scout...just a very calm and willing boy with wonderful smooth gaits and carries himself beautifully (and has good feet!!).

Because of his age, he'll be VERY lightly ridden for the next month, then put up for the winter, and we'll see what he looks like in the spring.

He's 14.2 right now (but should grow another inch or 2), sorrel with a flaxen mane & tail, and could use some groceries.  He's going to be STUNNING when he finishes growing and fills out.  His name is Encore, and I think I'd like to keep it.  It seems to fit him for some reason.

We're told he was the absolute low man in the pasture before, so I'm going to turn him out with Quinn tonight and pull Trav into the private paddock again.   I expect it to be a non-issue, and will allow Quinn to go back to eating his grain nice and slow.  Trav is a nuisance at feeding time, and Quinn is feeling pressured. 
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 07:59:48 am »

Well, Quinn didn't exactly embrace his new paddock-mate, but it's still been pretty uneventful....ear pinning and a few steps of chasing.    Quinn just isn't motivated enough to chase him more than that.  Trav, on the other hand, was.  While the chiro was here yesterday, I left Trav & Encore out together and they put on quite a show.  Trav would chase Encore, and when you though "Oh God, he's going to be in kicking range in a step or 2!", he'd give up.  Or he'd turn to kick at Encore, but give him plenty of time to get out of the way.  And then repeat.

Quinn's back was out in 4 places on one side, and 2 places on the other, but was very good for his adjustment.   I have a vet appointment tomorrow evening for Misty Moo (Brucellosis test in preparation to breed her in the next 6 weeks IF she cooperates), so I'll talk about anti-inflammatories for Quinn at the same time.

Yes, I know he's thin.  We're working on it (I should be getting really good at fattening horses up by now).  Which reminds me, I need to pick up some probiotics for him.
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 05:25:52 pm »

Just got home from our first trial with Encore.  He's certainly not perfect, and we only rode 3 braces on Saturday and 2 on Sunday since he's so young, but he gaits on a loose rein, has great steering and brakes, will lead, follow and ride off by himself without turning into a spaz.  After the first 30 minutes (he as antsy and pawing the first brace), he stood well for birdwork.  Guns and dogs don't bother him.  He doesn't know how to stake out yet, but he tied to the trailer overnight without any issues, and during the day when Trav & Quinn rode off and left him tied to the trailer, he was calm.

AND!  My favorite saddle fits him REALLY well! 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:35:08 pm by Karen »
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 08:09:29 pm »

Remember when my old hay supplier told me I needed to buy more expensive hay AND up the horses's feed as we came into field trial season to keep them from dropping weight?

We just attended our 6th field trial of this season (as many as we went to last season) and our horses look FANTASTIC, and Encore has gained weight over the last 2 weeks!  We didn't up their feed or buy more expensive hay.  We changed suppliers.
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 09:21:48 am »

Back from our 2nd field trial with Encore.  LOVE, love, love this little pony!  Rode him for a little over an hour on Saturday, and an hour on Sunday, and he is such a good guy.  I'm more and more impressed with him every day.   He really will go anywhere I ask him to out in the field and he was better about walking through puddles this week.  Last weekend I walked him in hand through a HUGE mud hole (that he had tried every way possible to skirt under saddle) several times, and this week he walked through them.  VERY fast learner!

The field trial stuff doesn't seem to phase him at all, but he's jumpy to regular stuff....jumps when someone slams a car door, he got all spooky when there were kids he couldn't see playing behind a line of bushes...stuff that doesn't bother the older horses, so we need to do some despooking work to every day things.  I'm told it's his age...but "baby stuff" can still get you hurt, so we'll work on it.

I bought a "working with spooky horses" DVD years ago...I'll have to dig it out.  And I don't think he's actually spooky....I think he's just young and needs exposure to stuff.

I should have mentioned, we got TONS of compliments on Encore this weekend. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:31:18 am by Karen »
Karen

Karen

• View Profile
    • Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 01:21:02 pm »

Back in early August we took a chance....we sent Chloe out to a pro field trainer in Ohio so that she could attend our National Gun Dog Championship in Ionia, MI.  She placed 4th in 2012, we lost her on course in 2013, so we decided to stay home and let a pro handle her.

Anyway, our Nationals curse continues.  It sounds like she was doing a really nice job, nice forward race, 2 quail finds and a woodcock find and then fell in a hole at 35 minutes and pulled a muscle in her shoulder.  Her handler noticed her slow down and then develop a very slight limp, and picked her up.

The vet on the grounds looked at her and felt it was a pulled muscle, and as of this morning she's feeling much better, so it probably was just a pulled muscle.  It was the right call to pick her up....but DARN!!! She's SUCH a nice little dog, and she could win it.

She's 7 1/2 yrs old, so she has 1, maybe 2 more shots at it.  Oh well...John says we're going next year.  We'll take her and run her ourselves.

The handler did a great job with her this season,  3 placements in some pretty big stakes, and if she feels up to it, we'll drag her to 2 more trials this season before it's too cold.

Chloe is hitching a ride home with a local friend, so she should be home Sunday night or Monday.  Looking forward to having my girl home after almost 3 months!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:26:10 pm by Karen »
Karen
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Up