verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: feed question  (Read 219 times)

2gaits

feed question
« on: November 22, 2014, 08:23:21 am »

I feed psyllium and a joint supplement to one horse and psyllium with an allergy supplement to the other. I am looking for something cheap and not hot to mix with this so the horses eat it. They don't need extra calories or anything to make them hyper. I only am going to be feeding about a cup of it with the supplement. Feed gurus, what should I buy?

Kellie in OR

Re: feed question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 08:29:17 am »

Do your feed stores carry a forage pellet. We are lucky and a mill in our state makes a small pellet (looks like rabbit pellets) that is beet pulp, timothy grass, alfalfa, rice bran and flax. That is what I feed my fat mini's to hide their supplements in. Standlee is another on that makes nice hay and/or alfalfa pellets.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 08:33:24 am »

My supplements are powder, so I need a powder to mix with.  I use Alfalfa meal, and a little flax meal.  The horses literally like the bowls clean, and they are eating MgO which they hate.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:57:43 am »

a friend of mine uses a small amount of apple sauce.   easily located and kept - depending on brand some sugar content.
NC

OldnOrnery

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 09:24:15 am »

A wonderful carrier (and bucket feed, if the need arises) is made in Illinois, called Nuzu Stabul 1. It's pelleted and dissolves easily with water, which you definitely want if you've feeding psyllium. http://www.nuzufeed.com/7550%20Stabul.html I use 1 cup as a carrier, easiest thing I've ever used. Low sugar, low starch, completely balanced.

With psyllium, which I feed 7 days a month, I add 1 cup Stabul1, my minerals and 3 cups of water, let it sit and absorb for up to 5 minutes. I wait until it has a slightly gelatinous texture and looks shiny but still just slightly runny. If it's thick, I add more water. My mares LOVE this stuff. We get it in the west thru TSC and pay the big bucks for shipping. You may have to contact Randy at Nuzu to get your local TSC on board because they never seem to know they order this product.

Otherwise, I'd use a forage pellet. They can be hard to dissolve. Warm water works faster and better.

PAWalker

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 01:56:40 pm »

One good thing Tractor Supply, in my area, does carry is Standlees forage products. 

I buy Standlees timothy pellets and mix everything up with warm water.  The timothy pellets break down really fast in warm water.

The stuff can be in meal form, powder, granules but, there are a few powdered things I have to mix with water & pure apple juice and syringe it down the horse; as long as it isn't granules like sugar is.  Granules won't mix up no matter how hard I shake the syringe.

I have one horse with missing molars who gets soaked timothy/alfalfa cubes.  His supplements get mixed up in the cubes after I hand mush them down to wet grass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up