verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking stifle in yearling  (Read 432 times)

ahmenti

Locking stifle in yearling
« on: November 17, 2014, 06:25:18 am »

Our new yearling we bought in July has a locking stifle.  When we arrived at farm Sat she was not with the other horses.  She finally came along but I noticed she was moving slow but looked ok. However, after standing a little while eating her grain her leg was locked up and stiff. She was dragging her toes and not using that leg.  Hubby thinking she had something in her hoof, started to pick up her leg and it popped and she started moving around. I called vet and she said it sounded like a locked stifle.  Told to walk her up and down hills and keep her in big pasture so that she will exercise it.

She has been in a big pasture with a hill to go up and down to get to the pond.  I hand walked her up and down one of my hills twice yesterday and will do so again today.  I just hate seeing her dragging her leg-it's pitiful.  Has anyone else had experience with this?

Kim

stablemind

• Administrator
Re: Locking stifle in yearling
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 11:28:53 am »

Pete T had occasional bouts of locking stifles at around a year of age and it continued to happen occasionally over the next year or so. His leg would get momentarily stuck when it was extended back. He'd catch a toe, then snatch the leg upward and forward...reminded me of a stork walking. He eventually outgrew it as tendons, muscles and bones caught up with each other. By the time we started him under saddle, around age 3, it was no longer an issue. It's often a matter of growth and/or muscle conditioning.

ahmenti

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 12:06:58 pm »

That's what my vet said too.  Asked if she had a growth spurt and I said that she had I believe (it's harder to notice that when you see them everday) and told me to make sure she is in a big pasture with some ups and downs. She is in a pasture like that now and so on Sunday I walked her up and down 2-3 times. About killed me but she was fine! lol

It is just so pitiful seeing her do this.  She actually drags her foot quite a ways. We got her and hubby moved her over and back and it popped back in (you can actually hear the pop) and it would be ok for quite a while.  Seemed to lock back up when she stands still for a while-I guess she is locking her legs in to stand and then can't get it popped back out.

I hope she gets it working soon-I can't stand it. 

Kim

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 12:38:11 pm »

Seemed to lock back up when she stands still for a while-I guess she is locking her legs in to stand and then can't get it popped back out.

I think that's exactly what happens. I've also had it happen to various horses over the years during farrier work. Just a rare occasional thing, nothing chronic.

ahmenti

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 01:56:05 pm »

I hope so. And darn weather here is not conducive to me walking her up and down hills this evening.  It rained all day and now some snow showers with temps going down to 14 degrees tonight and even colder tomorrow.  I wish I was retired already so I could do this stuff during the day instead of working!

Kim

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 05:41:54 pm »

aww I bet she looks pitiful.  Poor girl, I always wonder what goes through their minds, wish we could tell them it will be ok.

Keep us updated!
Allison

Proud mom to Sydney, saddlebred, Birch, TWH, and Abel, SSH.

ahmenti

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:21:14 am »

Yesterday evening she was ok.  We were only there about 30 or so minutes.  She didn't lock up at all.  She was actually running around a little and playing with our other filly.  We will see this evening.  It would be nice if she was over it but I doubt it. At least I felt better-I had imagined her all day dragging her leg and being miserable! 

Kim

oncidium

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 06:45:25 am »

Not much you can do for a yearling.  It is a genetic/conformational trait, not a farrier issue.  IME.  (been there done that)  You can back the yearling up, and it can and may unlock - temporarily/for the time being.  This is not a rarity.  Not many want to admit their horse has this, but it is out there definitely.

Long while back a large farm out west who bred and competed endurance horses (arabs) said that when their locking stifle geldings/mares (they were not used nor considered to be used for breeding stock ever) when fit, and worked on hills, trails, dressage, etc., the "issue" lessened.  When they were tossed out to pasture for winter, the "issue" (if we call it that) became more problematic.  To make the "issue" better or which lessened the "issue" engaging the hind end, keeping the horse regularly worked/ridden throughout it's life time.  Of course the severity depends on the horse, of course.  Many factors. But fixing it via surgery, or farrier work, no.  Some horses needed more work others less (been there done that, seen both degrees of severity).  I have found working the horse to be true, and it does work.  But, it does depend on the horse, and the rider, and or how the horse is maintained in it's life time.  I have seen it with my own eyes it is tough at times to watch.  I have seen quite a few times  on trail it was . . . .  :-X

O

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should."  Acheron

“The bitterest truth is always better than the sweetest lie.”  Sumi

ahmenti

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 06:38:43 am »

For the last 2 days it has not locked up on her.  She seems to be walking and running fine.  I hope that it is ok for now.  Vet said it could have been a an injury to her stifle, hard to say.  She was doing it on Saturday and she did fall on Friday evening, and it took her a few seconds to get up.  Then on Saturday it was locking and Sunday but none since then.

We will continue to watch and hope that it doesn't happen again!

Kim
Pages: [1]   Go Up