verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridle Path or not?  (Read 1943 times)

Pamela N.

Re: Bridle Path or not?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 12:23:49 am »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll try that but I think I need to take a picture so you can see how thick the hair is where the bridle path normally goes.  There is probably as much hair in just the bridle path area as there is in most horses' tails.  This old picture might give you some idea.  ;-)

Pamela N.

dottie61886

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 02:06:48 pm »

Rosie, my TWH, gets her bridle path (about ear length) and jaw line clipped regularly. I also clip the long hair on the outside of her ears, but not the inside. I also leave the hairs on her muzzle and around her eyes. Dusty, my hairy beast of a Fell, only gets his jaw line clipped.  ;) No bridle path for him. He has an outrageously thick and long mane (splits down both sides of his neck), but the Fell Pony Society frowns on bridle paths. Technically, I shouldn't clip him at all, but I am not a fan of the goat beard. It hides his nice bone structure.

Pamela N.

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 11:36:44 pm »

A few weeks ago, KCKC suggested that I put a braid in Blessi's mane to enable my hand made bridle to fit better.  I finally took a picture to show the amount of hair that we are talking about.  A friend cut the bridle path tonight.  The mane is about 4 and 1/2 inches across at the poll.  You can see my index finger in the photograph.

I think Shetland and Gypsy Vanners might understand my challenge.  ;-)

Regards, Pamela N.

Suzanna

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 07:09:58 am »

No  bridle path here.  I did do it when I first got my horse and cut it with scissors since I did not have clippers.  No problem but when it would start growing out and looked awful, get the scissors out again.  Finally I thought why am I doing this.  Just because it is or was the norm and everybody else is?  So no more.  No cutting of whiskers either. They are there for a reason.  Love the natural look.

GloriousJourney

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2015, 09:06:34 am »

You are right...my little 39" Shetland pony has a massively wide, thick mane, just like that photo!!  I actually cut a bridle path a couple inches long,(easier for fly mask wearing) and keep his mane in a few long braids a good portion of the year due to our tropical climate. He also gets body clipped a couple times going into winter...we basically don't have winter.
Lesley in Jupiter

pasolucy

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2015, 08:07:39 pm »

I keep a clipped area on my two horses, hubby does not on his.   I always thought a bridle path was something in central park that you rode a horse on and what you are talking about has always been a halter roach to me. 
Live, Live, Live, life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death

Willamette Valley, Oregon

Myaj

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 11:05:44 am »

My rocky mare, no, she has a very long mane, but its not that thick so it doesn't interfere with the bridle.

My TWH gelding, sometimes.  His mane is very, very thick, so it is a lot easier and probably cooler to keep one cut in summer.  I just make sure I stop trimming it in fall so by winter its grown out enough to give him some warmth.  I don't cut it very long either.

oncidium

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2015, 09:23:13 am »

My RM's bridle path is all grown out.  She never got a mohawk, and it always goes to one side, if not I would have braided it over.  She is black, her mane and tail black, so it was hardly if at all noticeable while growing out.  It does get in the way of the bridle, so have to spend time messing with it.  I do keep muzzle whiskers trimmed though year round.   8)

O

“Death should never be your worst fear.  How you live can be far more gruesome.”  Adron

“I do my best proofreading after I hit send.”  Darling

“For better or worse, our pasts and experiences are what define us. But, they don’t have to rule us.” ~ Nero

gallatingal

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 09:32:15 am »

Just gave the PF a bridle path. His is thick, but short. I NEVER clip muzzle whiskers. I believe they need those to tell if the electric fence is on or not :)
Life is short, buy the pony!

kckc

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2015, 09:38:01 am »

we have very large horse flies, deer flies and green headed flies that nothing deters so I let my horses keep all their hair, whiskers etc in the hopes that it helps keep these blood suckers off them.  when riding my twh would sometimes get a couple of inches cut for bridle but still left it like a short mohawk. 
NC

2gaits

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2015, 03:04:39 pm »

I've let the bridle path grow on both of my horses but now I'm considering trimming g them back because it is such a pain to mess with the hair. I'm constantly messing with it when faltering, bridling, and putting on fly masks.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up