verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridle Path or not?  (Read 1944 times)

2gaits

Re: Bridle Path or not?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 05:45:15 pm »

I like the look of a well groomed clipped horse with a neat bridle path. However, I never keep them up. I think my gelding has his grown out but it is hard to tell because his mane is thin and he rubs it out terrible. No hair gene on him. My mare I let most of it grow out. I was letting it all grow but didn't care for the way it looked. The grown out part still flops to the front and is a mess. I need to braid it back and down.

My sister has no bridle path on her horse and he has a thick mane. I hate having to mess with it whenever I have to halter him. His tail is super long too. It drags probably over a foot and seems unsafe to me for a trail horse. She keeps it braided and knotted up when riding. Way to much work for me. I trim my horses tails.

fancysfoxtrotter

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 07:58:17 pm »

I also do an ear length bridle path.  In the winter it is a bit mohawkish, but never too bad...I use scissors, so it's quick.  Fancy has a very thick mane, so it's easier.  Also, we have burrs around here...big brown ones, small green ones...you name it, she can find them!  Having her bridle path cut is much easier than having to detangle a big ball of forelock/mane.  She has tried to resemble a unicorn in the past, when she wasn't trimmed.

bewerking

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 10:30:38 pm »

I like "the look" of a nicely trimmed bridle path but living in Minnesota, I usually opt to let Peet grow as much hair anywhere he wants to! It's easy enough to re-cut it in the spring. I am really glad to see what everyone says on the topic because sometimes I dither with that pair of scissors in my hand.

PathfinderSGF

• Youniquely Jamie Lynn
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 06:27:51 am »

Sometime this Summer I quit trimming my horses, and now I am past the mohawk stage so have decided to just leave it be. :)  Atleast for now.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 07:27:33 am »

The only thing I trim now is "goat beards" (usually Babe only) and I trim away hair that sticks out of the ears. IOW, I trim the ears level, but I don't trim inside the ears. Let them have their bug protection.  I used to trim muzzles for special events, but I quit doing that after thinking about how they feel lost without them.

melissah

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 07:34:43 am »

I leave her natural. I love all that hair including the beard in winter.
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

foxtrotter

• N.E. Ohio
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 04:54:52 pm »

No trimming here, but of course it's my mare that has the absolute longest whiskers of any horse I have ever seen!
I don't like the way she looks, but I won't clip them, she needs them.
MJ

oncidium

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 06:50:02 am »

I may be letting the bridle path grow out, but I will keep up with the goat beards, and the jawline, and the huge tufts of ear hair.  I like a neat looking horse, and I rarely let things go.  We plan to move to a much cooler climate, so I am letting the bridle path grow.  I long to shave it, but won't.  She will need some extra warmth there.  I also trim to a certain extent her fetlocks.  If not, when we get snow she gets these hanging ice things, and I know they are painful, so I keep those cut off.  Also in the summer if they are there, I think of them as tick "super information highways".  Easy for ticks to crawl up when the hair hangs there, so I keep a neat fetlock.  Also the foot dries out and the leg stays dryer to a certain extent.  Lesser of a chance for foot rot.  Dry feet v foot rot due to too wet of conditions, I will take dry feet.

O

“The past is dead.  Tomorrow will become whatever decision you make it.”  Acheron

“Every morning you have a choice:  forget your dreams or live them.”  Brach

“I am dying real deep down inside.”  O

Rmhorse

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 08:32:02 am »

When I bought my Rocky from a big Rocky Mountain Horse Farm, the breeder had a rule that no scissors could be kept at the barn. He said you never, ever cut or trim their mane or tail. That has always stuck with me, so I've never trimmed his mane and tail, though I do keep scissors at my barn. ;)

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 09:08:24 am »

We trim bridle paths, about half the length of the ears flat back, on Legs and Bandit. I think Star (KMSH) just looks better without trimming the path, so I don't. Never trim any whiskers and usually only minimally around the ears.
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

cruisinlight

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 09:39:24 am »

The other day I read somewhere that if you left the forelock under the browband, it pulled and bothered the horse. I have started wondering if that mane hair under the bridle will also pull? My horse's mane is thick and seems to lump up some under the bridle. That might be a good reason to cut a bridle path. I'm not sure--I have always like the long and flowing mane. Any opinions on the horse's comfort in this respect?

kckc

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 12:49:36 pm »

I would think the brow band shouldn't be snug enough to pull their forelock?  I leave part of the forelock out to flop around to keep insects off but mostly leave under the brow band.  I get aggravated with the bridle path getting all tangled up but I also think it probably gives a little padding behind the ears - according to one of the sites I read there are nerve endings there that shouldn't get as much pressure as most bridles can give.   But other than reading the site I really don't know.   I like to cut a small area for the bridle path and I usually leave it a little mohawkish to stop my aggravation with tangling but leave some cushion.   and it's a really short path when I remember to do it.  didn't do it at all last year.
NC

G84me

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 02:56:31 pm »

Mine have grown six-inch mohawks over the winter and it isn't even over yet. 

One year when I was still working (with much less time to fuss over my horses) I let Sonny's and BJ's forelocks and bridle paths grow out unmolested and uncut from spring to spring.  When I finally cut bridle paths, I kept the hair I cut, rubber-banded it and put each in a sealed plastic bag in each one's files, where I keep all their records. 

I just now took the banded lengths out of their files to measure...BJ's was 16 inches and Sonny's was 13 inches.  BJ's and Ebony's tails have been kept cut to fetlock length for the winter. 

When the weather warms in late April I will cut bridle paths behind the ears about half the width of my hand across the knuckles.  I keep the fetlock hair trimmed in winter to avoid iceballs and the rest of the year to avoid mudballs and ticks, etc. 

I like to trim only the giant tufts that stick out at the bottom of the ear, and only to just in front of the rim of the ear.  All the rest of ear hairs stay.  As for beards, I trim whatever's left after they've shed out.
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding

Pamela N.

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 06:24:06 pm »

Official breed regulations for Icelandics say no trimming of hair except for the health of the horse, eg  hunter trims during fall to prevent horse from being overheated.  That said,  Blessi has had bridle paths sometimes--usually because an instructor at that time had really strong feelings on the subject.  However, I have never trimmed his ear hairs or whiskers. 

Icelandics have really thick hair.  I never realized how think until last night.  I made Blessi a bridle and a freind was helping me try it on him and figure out how much leather had to be trimmed off the end so the bit would be placed correctly (this is a reproduction of a 750 AD Viking bridle so the side piece is all one length with no adjustment). 

My friend kept insisting that the leather on the left side had to be folded up 3 inches and I kept saying that the leather on the right side was folded up 2 inches--both sides were the exact same length so something was wrong.  I looked to see how she was measuring on the left and she was exactly right.  Blessi's mane falls on the right side and it was taking up 1 inch of bulk in halter fit on that side!

So now I have to decide if I want to trim a bridle path on Blessi when I use that bridle or make one side of the bridle longer--which will look odd because there is a large pattern stamped in the leather.

Sigh!  Pamela N.

kckc

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 06:32:49 pm »

just do a little braid and pull that part of the mane back
NC
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up