verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sealing a water tub crack?  (Read 397 times)

kathypa

sealing a water tub crack?
« on: November 09, 2014, 08:43:42 am »

Friend gave me a Rubbermaid water tank that has a,small crack above the drain hole. What can I seal it with that can take a little warmth from the drain plug heater?

kckc

Re: sealing a water tub crack?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:36:50 am »

I bet the Rubbermaid people have a product
NC

kathypa

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:36:31 pm »

Been looking with no luck.

oncidium

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 01:10:28 pm »

Been there done that.  sigh.

Mine are now hay troughs.  I have purple duck tape on the troughS to mark them so we know which oneS leak.  I put a 3-4" piece above the drain plug.

Problem solved and averted.

O

“I told my family that I never want to live in a vegetative sate, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle . . So, they unplugged my computer, and threw out my wine.”  Eris. 

Eris is the Greek Goddess of Discord, Rivalry, Contention, and Strife.  Eris is the one to call when you want to start a war.  In fact, it was her apple that launched a thousand ships to Troy . . .

kckc

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 04:14:29 pm »

how about jb weld
NC

Little Freckles

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 08:07:33 pm »

I fixed a crack in my rubbermade black plastic tank with that spray can stuff- flex steel.  You might have to include the hole plug in the spray area and just use a drop in heater depending on the location of the crack.
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:30:58 pm »

Try some Silicone Seal -- available at hardware stores, WalMart, eetc.

Myaj

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 03:42:23 pm »

Look at your local hardware store for an adhesive called Goop.  Its amazing.  It will stick to just about anything, has just a little bit of flex to it so it won't crack or break, but dries harder than silicone (so its more durable).  There are several varieties (Marine, etc) I usually grab Marine but honestly I think they are all the same product just in different packaging.

I have used it to seal cracks on fish tank filters.  Filters that I used on a 75 gallon tank of expensive fish.  That's how much I trust that adhesive to hold, not leak, and not to leech chemicals into the water!  I've done plenty of work with silicone, glass and acrylic, and for sealing a crack, this is what I go to.

Whatever you use, clean the surface, wipe down the surface with alcohol and let it evaporate.  Then go ahead and use the adhesive.  Generally when you sniff it and can no longer smell a chemical odor, its fully cured and ready to add water.

kathypa

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 02:53:18 pm »

Hubby mixed up fiberglass and surprised me by fixing the tank. Now it is leaking around the drain plug. Fixing it is on hold because we are getting 20 degree weather and I bought a rubber trough and have a rubber round  trough just to get by the next couple of days. Thanks for your advice and Goop might be what I need if the water heater doesn't seal at the drain.

Laurie

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 06:48:26 pm »

what about trying that Flex Seal that they advertize on television?  If it does what it shows on tv it would probably do the trick.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPPymO-yq8Y

kathypa

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 06:46:05 pm »

The fiberglass almost did the trick. Small leaks were plugged with aquarium sealer. Thanks for all the suggestions!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 06:49:36 pm »

My husband would probably fix it with Shoe-goo. That's been his go-to for just about everything lately.
Pages: [1]   Go Up