Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Run-in divider  (Read 297 times)

Winona

Run-in divider
« on: October 16, 2014, 06:57:42 pm »

Need ideas for run-in divider. It is actually the end of the barn. Right now I have electric bungee gates. However, the mare gets very nervous about coming in because of getting shocked. She is jumpy. If I turn it off for ant length of time, she is calm but the Icelandic walks through it. I don't want anything permanent so we can get the tractor through. I thought of a pole cemented into a tire and connect wooden poles to that. I would use eye bolts and heavy snaps . I need to remove them during the day since I just separate at night for feeding and shelter access.  It may be solid enough he won't go through it. Any ideas? I know it hard to visualize.......
Jodi, Northern NY, Paso Fino/Icelandic/Mini

kckc

Re: Run-in divider
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 08:59:41 pm »

depending on length you could use the ushaped brackets and lay a 2x4 into the brackets.  You'd just lift the 2x4 out of the brackets.    Do you have walls/posts?    I use steel poles in circles brackets.   mine slide out of the round brackets.  I wouldn't use something like that to keep a horse away from a roadway.

there are rolling gates but they need a place to roll to so that can be awkward.
you could use a regular gate and just have it swing to the wall or away from a wall if you have room.  or double gates if you don't have a place for a full gate to swing.   

pictures would help everyone give you better ideas. 
NC

OldnOrnery

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:57:52 pm »

A pipe panel won't work for you?

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 07:03:05 am »

Without seeing a pic of your run-in, it's hard to say.  Ours is 10 x 20, with 2 openings, so John put 2 x 4's in the back and between the openings in front so we have a track to slide 2 x 8's into.  We can just slide them out when we don't need them. 

Karen

shilohatdawn

• 918-231-9868, email: sherry.PPGHA2013@yahoo.com
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:27:46 am »

I used 16 foot wire panels that have the 4" openings for fencing around part of my property.  It is light and we wired it to T posts.  It could be utilized for a divider for your horses but you would have to find a way to attach it.  It is stiff enough that a horse can't walk through it, and light enough for a woman to move.  It is about 4 or 5 foot high.  If you could put a permanent board in the ground laying horizontal that you could attach some thingees   ;) (woman speak) to hook to, you could use some snaps to secure it to the ground, but you would have to have another post on either end to attach it to.  Since it is stiff, you could attach it at each end, at the bottom and it would b secure enough to feed, then you could move it.  I like these panels because you can cut them to the length you need.  Just another idea for ya...

Sherry
Coweta, OK

Winona

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 07:50:30 pm »

Thanks for the ideas. I will try to get a picture up tomorrow since it hard to explain. The 16 foot panel might work except I would be afraid my two "pawers" would get in trouble with it.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 04:59:49 am »

I've seen a bad outcome using those livestock panels between horses, or anywhere there might be kicking/pawing.  Almost always the horse comes out on the losing end.  I really like the way Karen & John did their divider.  We ended up building a permanent divider when it became obvious that we couldn't have our horses together in same run-in shed.  Our boys are turned out together in the turnout, with their Portagrazers, during the day, but for their evening feed they go into individual runs and access to their adjacent run-in sheds. 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 07:20:37 am »

If a gate/livestock panel was the only way to handle it, I'd use something like this.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/wire-filled-gate-10-ft?cm_vc=-10005
Karen

Laurie

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 08:43:59 am »

Post a picture of your run in so we can give better advice.  I have a run end on the back of my barn....actually just a roof that extends about 12 or more feet beyond the stalls so they can stand out of the weather if they want to.  I call it the barn porch. Mine is long....runs the length of my barn and stalls open to it. 

If I put up a divider I would use gates so they could be moved

Winona

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 12:37:31 pm »

Laurie.....I wish I had an overhang....that would be ideal.

I guess I am going to still use the bungee gates, but it will only be electric outside the barn. I will connect to a post to terminate just inside the barn. That post will be moveable. Then, the bungee inside the barn won't be hot. He doesn't try to get through there. I need something I can take down easily since they are out together during the day and separated only at night. I need the bungee inside the barn in order to allow the gate it connects to to swing open in the barn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up