verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heated hoses  (Read 657 times)

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Re: Heated hoses
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 02:57:41 pm »

We're pretty lucky.  Our water troughs are both within 50 feet of the house, so one heavy duty hose with brass quick connects and we're set.  Our driveway goes slightly downhill, so we drag the hose down the driveway and it drains as we hang it in the garage, which is attached to the house and insulated, so doesn't freeze.  That's not to say it's not a pain....this time EVERY year I swear I'm putting an automatic waterer in next spring.  Maybe next year.
Karen

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 06:14:14 pm »

Ok I asked Chase and this is straight from the horsey husbands mouth lol:

It's called heat tape, get it from lowes or home depot in a roll, comes in various lengths.  Run it along the regular garden hose (not wrapped but in a straight line, secure with electrical tape every 8 inches), for best use wrap foam pipe insulation 1 size bigger than the pipe to include enough room for the heat tape wire and then wrap that with electrical tape to firmly attach.  The thermocouple is part of the heat tape wire towards the end that plugs in and it is a round disk that is attached to the heat tape and lays against the hose and reads the temperature and tells the heat tape when to kick on as needed to keep from getting too hot.

he said if you didn't want to use the pipe insulation you could possibly wrap the entire hose with duct tape or electrical tape to keep the wire protected but also help distribute the heat along the hose.  Everyone up here who lives in campers in PA says this is the best thing to do...we have never done this but will be doing it to all of our hoses and outdoor lines in the camper, since we are living in a camper over the winter in PA apparently, lol...and I'm a bit nervous about it.  lol
Allison

Proud mom to Sydney, saddlebred, Birch, TWH, and Abel, SSH.

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 07:00:28 am »

All the years we have had horses, we unhook the hose & drain it. We don't roll it back up we leave it laid out straight.  May take you a few extra minutes but cheaper than a heated hose.

Raylin

kckc

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 11:31:40 am »

in the past I've always looped the hose over a high board and pulled it across which let the water flow out of the hose - pain in the butt but it worked.  this year I'm putting in a non-electric automatic waterer - just cannot wait !!
NC

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:20 am »

Are you putting the waterer in yourself or having it done?  If you're having it done, I'd love to know the cost. 
Karen

kckc

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 11:52:51 am »

I'll be having help.  I was already having a line trenched for water ($2 a foot) and my plumber is pretty reasonable so I'm going to have him attach it and I have a machine to backfill it.... the waterer isn't cheap but........ it will all be worth it this winter  :-)
NC

Cashela

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 08:02:34 am »

After failing to properly drain my hose last winter I bought two pocket hoses (needed two to reach my trough).  I know they say you aren't supposed to use them for drinking water but like someone mentioned above regular hoses say the same thing.  Anyway, it worked great for me.  It may take a little longer to get water in the trough but it is worth it.  It self drains, I just gather it up, drop it in a five gallon bucket and bring it in the house until I need it again. 

However, I do not think the pocket hose can take a ton of abuse.
Jenn-New Hampshire
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up