Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vegetable Beef soup today:)  (Read 272 times)

Laurie

• View Profile
Vegetable Beef soup today:)
« on: October 04, 2014, 01:07:45 pm »

I think fall may actually be here.....even though I still have vegetables on the vine, our temperatures dropped to 43 last night and today it's windy and around 53.  It's a beautiful sunny day that's a little cool so I'm thinking ....vegetable soup and corn bread!

I've posted my vegetable soup recipe before and it changes a bit depending on what I have around....but basically it goes like this:

28oz can of diced tomatoes
couple of chopped home grown tomatoes fresh off the vine
onion chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
carrot or two peeled and sliced in rounds
2 or 3 new potatoes, peeled and cubed
small bag frozen vegetables for vegetable soup mix - with seasoning packet
cup celery - sliced
cup frozen green beans
cup frozen okra, chopped
cup of baby limas
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
V8 juice--as needed
water - as needed
Worchestershire sauce - splash or two
Tabasco sauce --splash or two
chopped 1/2 green bell pepper and chopped 1/2 red bell pepper -- because I had them here
one sirloin steak, cubed and browned in olive oil, salt and pepper -- I always use high quality meat....never ground beef....it makes a difference....
couple of cube of beef bullion

Put tomatoes, water, V8 in large pot and add frozen vegetables and seasonings. Heat to boil then turn to simmer.  Cut meat into cubes and brown in olive oil, salt and pepper. Once browned on all sides, dump in pot with the vegetables. Brown/saute onion, peppers, garlic and dump in soup when softened.

Salt and pepper to taste, add V8 or water to desired soupiness (thick or thin). If you like it spicy add a can of rotel.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  I always have tabasco sauce on the table to spice it up if needed.

Simmer until potatoes and limas are done .....i 1/2 to 2 hours
Garnish with grated cheddar

Serve with cornbread or crackers

Delicious!

Laurie

• View Profile
Re: Vegetable Beef soup today:)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:03:20 am »

I was looking for ideas for lunch today and thought of soup since we are in a cool snap.  I saw my recipe for vegetable beef soup that I posted on October 4, exactly one year ago ;D  Thought it was weird that I was looking up my veggie soup recipe on the same day exactly a year later!

Guess I better make it for lunch today!

oncidium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:38:50 pm »

I put together soup also.  I call these soups "potpourri soup".  Soups I make up.  Your soup reads yummy!

We have the same weather it seems today.

No Salt chicken stock (not broth)  1 box (Swanson), 3 cloves roasted garlic, 1 large carrot diced, 2 green onions diced, I had some oven roasted asparagus (larger - which is better tasting than thin) diced that up about 12 or so pieces, 1 t red pepper flakes, and ½ c uncooked Collezione (from Barilla, and it is a orecchiette).  Heat chicken stock, tossed in carrots, pasta, until al dente (12 min or so), then added the other stuff heated through, bit of salt to your taste.

O

“Either my cooking has improved, or my family’s immune systems have strengthened.”  Hadrian

Laurie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 08:16:02 pm »

That sounds good.  I love chicken soups...but am trying to find recipes without rice, beans or pasta in them because I'm on a low carb diet. 

I will be taking the veggie soup to work all week for lunch.....made too much!

kckc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 10:02:36 pm »

send me some!  love vegetable soup...  it's getting to be that time of year
NC

oncidium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 02:33:51 pm »

I vary my soups.  Not often do I put pasta in them, if so only a handful.  I like variety and interest in a soup.  Textures, shapes, color, etc.  Many I make so they are good cold, room temp, or hot/warm.

Instead of pasta, I use barley, or quinoa.  Or potatoes.  Only in small amounts.  The taste of the over all soup is important to me, and I try not to concentrate on one thing in the entire soup.

This is how I came up with my 3 green soup!  Basically I use the same soup (different one), but varying the green ingredients.  Lots of green out there, just need to experiment and figure out what 3 work together.  That is how I did it. 

You can use bread, or rather bread crumbs for thickener - which is a french technique, which I tend to cook with french techniques (sorry but I do), potatoes also.  And some other things also, depending on how you cook them, and how they add to the soup.  I like to cook brocolli and spin it in the food processor and make that a thickener.  Yeah, run for the hills!  Also of times I do not use a thickener, who says SOUP has to be thick?  Not me.  Eggs can be used as a thickener too.  Duh, how do you think Creme Anglaise or a Mousseline au Chocolat get thick!  Neither of those btw have ANY flour, or pasta, or beans or rice.  My oh my!  YUM.  My husband (whoops of COURSE I am rambling) is usually my sous chef for this.  He isn't adverse to stirring due to him being a chemical engineer (rocket scientist now) - ha ha.  Both of the previous are super easy, just have to be able to read directions, be patient, have the right equipment, things laid out ready to go.  The results are awesome!  Pretty quick to do.  I strive to allow nothing to go to waste. 

These days I can NOT have milk, et al.  So go figure on how to make soups and different foods after doing it for a few decades with milk.  Well not everything I cook has milk in it, but gee, changes your whole lifestyle.  I take food seriously, and OUR waist lines show it.  And no, we are h/w appropriate.  I think of food as what can I make out of these ingredients, and make it VERY healthy.  And, I do.  Fun imo.  Well, it is.To.me.   :-[

Today I grilled chicken, and made for the first time biscotti!    Choco and coffee and pecans.  It is cooling now, waiting to be cut and re-baked.  Oh drats OFF subject, and OFF topic, but of course, grin, grin, Laurie is a sweet soul and will over look.  If not, I will delete.  Sheesh where is that post button.  Oh, there . . .it.is.

O, whose kitchen pet knife is a Shun.  Nobody is allowed to handle my Shun.  Nobody! 

“She’s got the feminine wiles of a rabid cactus.”  Arik of Regan

oncidium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 07:37:45 am »

I am doing this today.  Thawing out my meat now.  But, will use my own whatever I find recipe, but very similar to Laurie's.  Some good ideas you have down yonder there.

O

“Either my cooking has improved, or my family’s immune systems have strengthened.”

Akou aimassorai, ni adayakopa’ia!
Though I am the one bleeding, I will not be broken!

Pages: [1]   Go Up