verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revisiting the Pressure Washing Way to Clean your Water Troughs (Pics & Video)  (Read 327 times)

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch

Just thought I would get this on video and in photos today before I tackled the job.  The video is long and boring, so watch it or skip through it fast. It is one long video and 2 more that are just seconds long, but it shows in detail the condition of the trough to start as well as how the garden hose set to "jet", which is the highest pressure compared to the pressure washer method.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxYO4lKd7P4&list=PLhvNmBoL9ygJ5NCjkE7ucQlSrqm9BaZ1l

I keep the water fairly clean by dumping it, spraying the trough with the garden hose to remove a lot of the stuff on the trough, then adding fresh water, but only clean the trough with the high pressure washer once every couple of months or so.   In the winter, we have to wait for a nice WARM day.

Here are pics.  This trough is in direct sunlight pretty much from dawn to dusk so yes, the algae grows! Sorry, I never though to get a photo of it before I dumped the water, so you'll need to look at the video to see that part.

Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

oncidium

We love our pressure washer.  We clean all kinds of stuff with it.  It just does a fabulous job. 

On the inside of the barn in the stalls, the wood sides, you would be amazed at all the dirt coming off the walls.  We do this when the weather is hot, and on the dry side.  We have rubber mats in the stalls, no shavings, and wood on the inside of the barn aisle also.  Things get wet, but they dry.  We also pull mats out and spray those too.  Pull mats out of the horse trailer, and spray the floor, and then the mats. 

There are some things a hose can't get off, and the pressure washer makes it look brand new again. 

Also it is amazing what concrete looks like before and after with a pressure washer. 

O

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."  Acheron

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator

I use a pressure washer all the time. Yesterday just used it on the porch & house siding. The grime that came off we actually have a gray house again.

I am like O use it to pressure wash the inside of the barn, can not believe how much dust is in there on the trusses & everything.  We have dirt floors but like said above they dry & it is much brighter in the barn.

Raylin

stablemind

• Administrator

I didn't watch your video, but thought I'd add to the conversation...I don't use a pressure washer, just the hose and the "jet" spray setting. It gets the tank "pretty clean" and I call that good enough. Since my horses drink out of a pond and stream as often as they drink from the tank, I don't feel like I have to get rid of every trace of algae, but I don't let it build up.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge

Just curious what kind/brand of pressure washer folks are using???  Needing to clean the soon-to-be-for-sale LQ trailer (3 kinds of aluminum on it--"raw", shiny, & white painted) has made a pressure washer appealing, and I'm sure that once we have it we'd think of all kinds of other things to use it for.  I looked into gas-powered, and quickly discovered that those seem to be MUCH more pricey than we want to pay. 
We have a spray nozzle that has a "jet spray"--I'm sure it's not as powerful as an actual pressure washer, but just wondering if a low priced pressure washer is really that much better?????  I hate to spend money only to find out that I already had something that would work almost as well at a fraction of the price.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

I have a small electric one - I just hate the maintenance and issues with gas - I think it was cheap from Northern Tools or Harbor Freight but I don't use enough to warrant an expensive one
NC

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch

Val, I don;t even remember what brand ours is, but I did make a point to show it in the video in case someone asked. If I remember correctly though, I think it has a Honda 5.5 engine. It is gas powered, and VERY easy to start.  Is hardly used and starts on first crank.

Cyd, yes, I agree, the "jet" setting of the garden hose does get a lot off, but here, the algae does build, but I do keep it cleaned out with the garden hose on jet, and dumping old water and adding new.  I only use the pressure washer once every couple of months or so, so "scrape it all down nice and clean again. In other words, the water itself is kept clean, even if the tank build up algae.
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

OldnOrnery

Mine is a TroyBilt with a Briggs & Statton engine. Not that expensive ($250-300?) but they are poorly designed. I have to put my foot on the base and reach through the handles from the back to reach the rope pull to start the engine. Really baaaddd ergonomics.  I see the new models are a  bit different, but I'd never buy another. It has never had any maintenance in 8 years, starts every time.
Here's the problematic design: http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Images/Briggs-and-Stratton-20500-Pressure-Washer/i8239.html

This is a much smarter design. Note the foot rest to stabilize the unit during start-up.
http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Generac-6596-Pressure-Washer/p12938.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up