Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beet Pulp Strainer  (Read 1425 times)

oncidium

Beet Pulp Strainer
« on: November 27, 2013, 07:33:45 am »

I have been soaking beet pulp lately.  I do feed dry and soaked, but been soaking lately.  Pellets for one horse, and shredded for my other horse to get any sugar/dirt off of it.  I have tried a bucket with holes, a small colander - but it broke and didn't strain out the water easily, and used my hand (hassle).

So back to the store to find something else which would hold up, less hassle, work better, and could be used for other things, such as scooping out leaves from an icy water trough.

I bought these with a coupon a week or so ago, and they are working *really* well.  One has a little bit bigger holes than the other, it is not cheapy plastic, no sharp edges either.  I like the handle to rest on the bucket if need be.  I can take the bucket of beet pulp dump into the colander - easy.  Both will strain the pelleted, which is a little smaller particle, and the shredded.  Dual duty for both iow.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Joseph-Joseph-reg-2-Piece-Square-Colander-Set/1018939533?Keyword=colander

8)

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: Beet Pulp Strainer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 07:52:54 am »

Awesome!  Serving beet pulp would definitely be easier w/ something like this!  I tried my old faithful plastic colander but the holes are just too big.  I'm off shortly to do last minute grocery shopping and while I'm up @ Walmart I'll see if I can find something similar and w/ small holes!!
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 07:54:54 am »

I have never strained my beetpulp, I get the sheds without molasses from our feed store, should I strain it?

Walkin45

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:12:05 am »

I've never strained mine. I get molasses or wth out, depending on what they have .

AKBarbWire

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 12:29:21 pm »

I never strain it, I read the sugar is already removed, the pulp is what is left.  I also like it has a lot of roughage.  Can never get too much roughage in my book.

Kellie in OR

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 12:50:04 pm »

I strain mine and rinse several times. The water comes off black and I see & feel the grit of sand in the bottom of the sink.

oncidium

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 12:56:15 pm »

I have been feeding shredded bp for years,  *rarely* wet, but sometimes "things" change in a horses life (sadly in this case), and it has to be soaked/wet down.  These colanders have really helped with that.  The pelleted bp has to be soaked because it is too hard to chew otherwise. 

Beet pulp has tannins in it, so when rinsed, soaked, the liquid is brown.  So, not all is molasses.  Rinsing it also helps in the case of a horse who can't handle dust. 

:blank:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:58:03 pm by Oncidium »

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 06:30:35 pm »

I have always fed Beet Pulp as a soup, this method has always worked well for me.

I also do the same with Alfalfa cubes, make a soup.
JMO
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

NoRegrets

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 05:17:07 am »

Great idea.  Simple, yet effective.  I'm going to have to try that. 
Debbie

AKBarbWire

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 11:48:42 am »

I think I was reading this wrong, I feed beet pulp in pellets, always soaked.  No matter how much water, it just grows.  I only had a bag of shredded once. 

FancyPants

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 08:29:20 pm »

I'm confused too...I ALWAYS soak beet pulp pellets, never rinse/drain and then mix into the bucket loose salt, vit/min pellets and roughage cubes.  My bunch slurp it!!  Sometimes it seems like the runnier the better.  How does having soaked beet pulp pellets have dust???  I've been feed this way for years ....  This is the only "grain" mine know...  Add good grass hay and all are in good flesh - healthy and well.  The mini is a little wide-load but he's still VERY active.

oncidium

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 05:06:40 pm »

My perfectly healthy elderly mare I feed *pelleted* BP.  It has to be soaked, due to pellets being too hard to chew for any horse.  This mare is on pasture, she has plenty of fiber.

The other mare who is sick I feed shredded BP soaked, and drained.  I am soaking it to get out any dust, dirt, residual sugar (if any), but mainly so I can feed this sick horse her powdered meds and the powdered meds will stick to it.  I do not feed grain, nor oil.  She eats these nasty tasting meds, so don't want to have to resort to syringing them.  Also, want as much water, and big fiber pieces flowing through her body.   The sick one is now on dry hay only. 

I have *rarely* soaked shredded BP, but things change, I have a very sick horse (going on a couple months now), and these strainers have helped lots. 

Maybe the thread should be deleted?  I am very sorry if I have offended anybody about soaking, or not soaking beet pulp pelleted, or shredded beet pulp.  I guess we all do things differently when trying to care for a very ill horse, and an older healthy horse.  Never mind. 

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 05:13:42 pm »

I was just was wondering it was not meant to be meaning it was wrong.  I use to feed dry bp but not since I had a horse choke on it. Very scary thing to witness.

Raylin

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 06:36:10 pm »

@ Oncidium
Please don't take what's been said in this thread personally.  If I've discovered anything about horses in the 30+ years since I finally got my first "real" horse, it is that pretty much anything one person believes and does about caring for horses can and will be totally opposite what someone else believes and does.  It's important to remember that what works for one person and his or her horse may not work for someone else and just because it works today with a horse doesn't mean it will work tomorrow or next week or with a different horse.  I remember how totally shocked I was some years ago when I got told in no uncertain terms that I was gonna KILL my horse if I kept feeding him bran mash (I fed bran mash just before, during and after going to endurance rides, to get his tummy nicely hydrated).  He didn't die from bran mash, and even tho I had to discontinue the sport due to my own health problems so I retired him from competition, he continued receiving bran mash about once a week in winter, until I discovered beet pulp!
One of the things I LOVE about GHS is that I can learn a lot about horses from different people from all over the country.
And editing to add that since I discovered beet pulp, I've used both pelleted and shredded, depending on what I could get and what our horses would eat.  And even tho I've read that some folks routinely feed shredded beet pulp dry, I ALWAYS soak it and I recently read that (because my husband's gelding is Insulin Resistant) I should also strain it.  Which is why I've been following this thread. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 07:19:03 pm by loneelk »
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

FancyPants

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 08:37:20 pm »

yup - I'm in the vein - what I said was not meant to be taken as a personal attack!  Please forgive me if that's what you thought - I never intended it that way.  You said some things that I'd never heard before and really was interested in some more information.  I told you what has worked for mine for years - but if I'm setting them up for early demise or illness, I'd love to know now! lolol

Sharing the ins and outs is what it's about - I may NOT change what I'm doing, but who knows?!?! - maybe I will!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up