verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: where are those hoof boot threads??  (Read 811 times)

ponymare

Re: where are those hoof boot threads??
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 02:09:19 pm »

Thanks!  I hope we're able to test them out this weekend if we don't get rain.  It will also be a test for Gabe being ridden since the eye was taken out.  I hope it will be a non-issue.  He trusts David, so hopefully he will continue to go where David directs him. I'm glad I finally convinced David to try some boots.  Sometimes it's for the best.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 03:08:39 pm »

Just thought I would address David's comment on them never getting tough feet if you boot them. 

They are not wearing them 24/7, they are wearing them for the duration of a trail ride.  If the horse is ouchie, I think you should provide whatever it takes to make them comfortable.

I tend to be a weekend warrior.  I do ride my horses during the week, but never for the length of time that I ride on a camping trip.  Therefore, I try to make things as comfortable as possible for the horse when I do ride long.

And there are two different things people call gravel. Around here we dig up little rocks that were tumbled in rivers.  These little rocks are very smooth.  This is what WE call gravel and it is a mined product.  While they are hard rocks, they are also smooth.  My horses ride barefoot on this stuff all the time.

But in other states they crush rock to about one inch sizes and they call that gravel (we call it crushed rock.)  These rocks, although small, are very jagged and sharp.  My horses do not like to walk on this stuff and I don't blame them.  For this kind of rock, I would boot. 

Also, all rock is not created equal.  Geologists have a 10 point hardness scale.  Talc is a 1, Diamond is a 10.  Some of the parks in MN use crushed Limestone on their horse trails, and then the websites say--shoe your horses we use crushed rock.  Limestone is a 3.  It is very soft, and even crushed and jagged it does not hurt horse feet.  The Black Hills is Granite, a 7 on this scale.  By the way, hardened steel is also a 7, and that is what the farriers rasp is.  Granite is a good reason to boot horses as it is both extremely hard, and also abrasive.

So, boot up.  Your horses will thank you.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

ponymare

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 07:07:41 am »

You are preaching to the choir Sister Kysa LOL!  ;D I've been trying to get him on board with this for awhile because we rarely get to ride because of it. I finally ordered them - his blessing or not! (I finally wore him down actually). We ride in Rock Bridge Canyon with no problems and its quite rocky but I think it's limestone. But if you ride from the main camp in town there are several rural gravel roads you have to travel. So we usually opt to camp in the Canyon itself or use their trailering service. I just hate to go some place new and get the unwelcome surprise of miles of gravel road. Bleh. It ruins the ride worrying about their feet.  But, I have to say, he has only now gotten them close to the shape he wants because they had so much flare that he finally has under control. So we would probably have had to keep reordering in smaller sizes. Until then we just had to try to be careful where we rode. But finally they are looking pretty good and fairly close to the size he thinks they need to be! Yay!!

These are the rocks we have no problem with.  This is AL and they are similar to the ones in TN that we ride on with no problems.  It's just those pesky gravel roads.

OldnOrnery

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 08:14:14 pm »

Kysa, I think that if you like EasyBoot Gloves and have no problem with the hand-strength to get them on, you'll find Renegades a bit clunkier. It may be my mares way of going. There's a definite clop sound with Renegades. I've only had EasyBoot Gloves on her once a couple of years ago, and they seemed more "one-with-the-horse."

Renegades can rub because the part that goes over the heel bulb can get stuff under it. It's not meant to be overly snug, so I guess the theory is that the stuff will drop back out. I ride on gravel much of the time. My mare forges a bit, so the toe of the hinds is always throwing up stuff near the back of the front hooves. That's probably the source of the stuff that gets under the heel actuator. She handles our road base made of crushed rock easily with Renegades on front only.

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 09:40:24 pm »

That's good to know that about the Renegades OnO.  I guess I will just stick to my Gloves here then too, for those reasons. I love them and have zero complaints.
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

kckc

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 08:23:54 am »

I thought the heel part was supposed to be snug?   I better look at their website again - my boy didn't have any rubs and there was a little bit of a sound when going -    but I couldn't put on the gloves - help a friend with hers and it was a bear.   
NC

OldnOrnery

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 09:24:57 am »

You're right: the heel captivator is snug, but it still has to have enough play to slide up over the heel bulbs. The primary adjustment you make to Renegades is the tightness of the heel captivator. That is set up by adjusting the cables from the front. Then after the boot it put on, you make sure the toe strap is pulling the cable evenly from both sides. You want the captivator to fit just right because it holds the boot in place.

But just where it is on a horse, if anything stuff gets kicked forward, it's going to come into contact with the back of the foot, pastern or heel bulb. We all know how easy it is to get grit in an athletic shoe. No different with a hoof boot. The web page shows it perfectly with the padding cut out so you can see really clearly how it should fit. In Image#4, you can also see that grit that gets kicked up and lands on the back of the pastern is gonna drop straight down into the groove between the heel bulbs. The padding helps and should stop most of it, but grit always finds a way.
http://www.renegadehoofboots.com/heel-captivator-position.html

ponymare

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 10:24:50 pm »

We took both the boys out for a couple of hours yesterday and probably didn't need the boots but wanted to try them out. We used the gaiters for the Old Macs as advised by Easy Care and David wasn't real sure he had them positioned correctly but they seemed to work! We went through some pretty sloppy mud so I guess they got a trial by fire! They stayed on well with no noticeable rubs. I didn't really notice any difference in his gait, but when standing tied Sunny often crosses one leg in front of the other and I noticed he had a bit  of trouble negotiating that! He had to get used to that extra width!

ponymare

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 10:31:13 pm »

A few photos of the boots...

ponymare

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 10:49:15 pm »

Sunny's boots

ponymare

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 10:55:30 pm »

Sunny modeling his boots while Gabe gets fitted in his.

zab

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 11:01:23 am »

Some words about toughening up the feet:
"The transition from shod to barefoot is not about "toughening up" the sole. It is not the sole that is sore, it's the corium -- a layer of living tissue on the bottom of the coffin bone that grows the sole. Iodine or other drying treatments do not speak to the actual problem. Putting gravel in the horse's turnout to "toughen the feet" will work against you. /.../" http://www.barefoothorse.com/barefoot_Transition.html

I believe this is true since Crow went from sore on gravel to perfectly fine on gravel without actually walking on any gravel or being worked or walked on hard ground in the meantime. I do think sand and gravel is a good ground to keep sound hooves dry and well... but I don't believe in toughening the hoof up. If the  horse is sore or tender, it needs protection. Our job is to keep them from pain.

As for boots, I use EB trail #3 and they fit lovely. I also have epic #0 for the hind feet as he dislikes the high trail model there. The boots help when his thrush comes back *sigh* but I also put studs in them for winter riding on icy roads :)
Cavallo did not work the least for him, all the wrong shape. I also fdidn't quite like the feel of the quality - but that means nothing as I have no idea how durable they are. Their soles got scratched on the first ride though, the easy boots are in better shape.

I will put some sort of pad or sole in the Trail#3, the flaps closest to the hoof ends just where his hairline start, and I fear they might rub or put preassure on the area if I don't get his  hoof up a bit. But they're easy to use and stay put wonderfully :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:07:12 am by zab »
"Hold your head high but your nose in a friendly level". :)

zab

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 11:05:07 am »

And by the way - lovely photos! :)

ponymare

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 03:21:49 pm »

Thanks!  We have yet to get out again since that first initial trial.  Gabe was getting over rain rot on his heels and David was busy doctoring them for much of the fall. So disappointing.  I'm wondering if he should just start using the Fungasol as a preventive in the late summer when there is sometimes a problem.  The thing I like about the Trails is that they are a little more forgiving if you fall behind in your trimming schedule.  Hope these will do the trick for us.

zab

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 12:03:17 pm »

As it happens, Crow got sore on gravel again. But Im pretty sure it's thrush, whivh I am treating. This winter has  been nothing but mud..

My trail #3 sarted twisting and so I sold them. I'm awaiting a pair of glove #1 on the mail, after trying the fit-kit and finding a used pair online. We'll see how that works.. the epic #0 still sits securely. But they're so hard to put on..
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up