Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: where are those hoof boot threads??  (Read 810 times)

ponymare

where are those hoof boot threads??
« on: September 21, 2014, 05:41:07 pm »

Where are old threads discussing hoof boots. We just got some Easy boot Trails. Size  5 seem to fit fairly well, but there's a little space on outside of toe. David doesn't want to get them too tight. Bought this one as said more forgiving between trims. Think I need to get some gaiters to keep from rubbing. I should have ordered one 4 an one 5 so I would only have to send back one!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:46:00 am by ponymare »

ponymare

Re: Hoof boot discussions again
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 08:11:22 pm »

Still not sure if this is the one for us. I've also heard good things about Renegades.

kckc

Re: Hoof boot discussions again
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:10:17 pm »

never tried the easy boots - I did like boa's for my mare but they are not the right shape for my geldings so I'm trying renegades on him.   You will probably want some sort of gater (gator) like came with the boa boots.
NC

ponymare

Re: Hoof boot discussions again : where's that thread??
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:27:19 am »

Yeah, I definitely want to order some gaiters. Maybe I should order one renegade to see the difference.  I hate shipping back, but what can you do.  The only place that I've seen a variety of hoof boots in stock is Rim Riders Outfitters in Jamestown, TN, and we didn't have the horses with us. :-\

kckc

Re: where are those hoof boot threads??
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:48:54 pm »

the shape of the hoof and the measurements make a big deal about which boot to order.... like the cavello's simple are more round while the sport is a bit slimmer - the boa's wouldn't fit my gelding because his hoof bulbs are set behind (or his hoof heel is more forward) so the renegades appear (after 1 ride) to be perfect for him because the heel catcher can be adjusted without affecting the size of the hoof part of the boot.   pretty happy with them so far - only 1 ride but we went about 11 miles and through several creeks and my boy is an aggressive playing-in-the-water horse  :-) 

I'm going to be selling a pair of boa's size 2 and several cavello's (assorted sizes) so if you don't find a pair you like let me know.   
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:03:06 pm »

I hope some other people will answer this, as I am hardly an expert.  I am a Cavallo dealer.  Rita had Cavallo Treks in the Black Hills this summer, and liked them. 
I got a pair of the sports and am quite surprised they fit Savanna well.  I have tried them around home, but not on a real ride, yet.

A customer of mine borrowed some Cavallo Simple boots and liked them, then bought a pair of Treks and liked them much better.  Her horses does have a more round foot.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

ponymare

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 08:56:03 am »

I found a few more threads about different ones.  We already bought the Easy boot trails because they seemed to be more forgiving between trims.  A friend bought some Cavallos (I don't know which one) and he said they rubbed his horse.

Problem is I bought these from Valley Vet middle of last month and my DH only got the feet trimmed some more this week, so I don't think they will let me exchange them, as it's after 30 days.  From the measurements, we picked the size 5 - they looked huge, but actually fit him pretty well... they are snug on the inside of both toes but there is a little space on the OUTSIDE of each toe. David thought maybe I should order a 4 to see how it would fit, and I thought I could swap them if they fit, but I need to call Valley Vet and see what I can do.

Also, the gaiters they advertise on Valley Vet come in number sizes and on the Easy Care site, they are sized SM-Med, Large, ect., according to what size Easy Boot trail you have. So I'm confused about the gaiters, too!  I think I'll call Easy Care and see what they say.

Sounds like some people think the Easyboot Trails are too clunky, but oh well, I probably won't be using them much. I'd rather he go barefoot when possible. 

I might have liked the Cavallo Treks, but I didn't know they had others. And too late now lol!

I think maybe I should have put this on another discussion area.

kckc

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:00:27 am »

maybe tack area.   valley vet might trade if you havent' ridden in the boots.   but before you do that did you look at the measurements for the size 4?   if the 5's fit when he's just been trimmed will the 4's fit after a few week's growth?   
NC

ponymare

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:12:07 am »

I talked to Easy Care and they say the gaiters for the Easy Boot Trails are actually the gaiters for the Old Macs.  She, too, thought the gaiter might make the boot fit more snugly.  It has a "plate" that actually goes under the foot, and down inside the shoe. 

So then I called Valley Vet and explained dilemma and they were very nice and put a note on my account saying I can send back the fives if the 4 fits better.  I only ordered one 4 and a pair of the Old Mac Gaiters as they are having a good sale on the boots (sports medicine boots)... so I only had to pay just over $60 for the boot and the pair of gaiters.  If I had bought both boots, they would have discounted them $20.  I received $15 off of $75.  So really saved more than I did on the original order and sale. Now we will just have to see how a 4 fits.  She asked if you could twist it around at all and I don't believe he could but we will be double checking.

I did find some threads on tack and  maybe I should move this over there?  My head is spinning from information overload.  I think that's one reason why we've never gotten any boots before!  Too confusing - one person loves them, one person hates them.  I'm afraid the people we ride with won't be very understanding if we keep putting them on and taking them off.  If so, we will just have to start riding by ourselves.  I really only want them for when we are confronted by a long gravel road with no way around it!

One other note.... of course the size for the gaiters "broke" between the 4 and the 5.  I went with the large (5 and up) because I think that's still what we are going to end up with.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:13:46 am by ponymare »

kckc

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:23:54 am »

I know that there are lots of reviews on the boots but some of it comes down to whether the right boots for the shaped hoof was ordered (told this by a boot rep) - if you have narrow hooves but like a boot that is round then you're not going to be happy etc.   the people I've ridden with that had a rep size and fit their boots seem to all be happy.   you shouldn't have to stop and remove/replace your boots at all.  I used to take mine off when we'd stop for lunch or a break just to check for sand or rock/rubs but otherwise didn't have to take on or off.   If you have to stop to do that then it sounds like they wouldn't fit.   g'luck!!!
NC

ponymare

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 02:03:30 pm »

I think Sunny has a pretty round foot, when it's trimmed to David's satisfaction.  It's pretty much the same measurement both ways... or pretty close.  which was what always puzzled him when he was looking at the measurement guides for the Easy Boots.  The lady today said the glove wides are same measurements.

I was just thinking that when we are riding we might want to take them off after we go through the majority of the gravel, so he wouldn't get chafed.  That's David's biggest concern about any boots.  Also, if they get muddy, it seems like the velcro might not stick well. 

I'm afraid Gabe won't be able to wear any because his skin is so sensitive.  The slightest rub is bad news for him. If we don't get him over these scratches soon, we may not get to do much riding this fall.  He's never had this before, just other skin issues. He has been the most expensive "free" horse we ever had lol!  But, I have to say, he IS a sweetheart.

About the only place we really seem to need them is on rock roads.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:05:26 pm by ponymare »

kckc

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 03:58:20 pm »

I'm hoping on the renegades there isn't anything to rub - the hoof part is only on the hoof and the heel captivator doesn't move so it shouldn't rub.   my first 11 miles journey in them didn't have any place - well, a tiny scrape that might have been from a stick but no problems except he did get a few teeny rocks inside the shoes from playing in the water.  I had a problem with a rub one time with the boa's after we played in sandy water but the gaiters really helped that.    g'luck!
NC

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 04:46:06 am »

If you are specifically looking for them for long gravel roads, I would strongly advise against the Cavallo Simple boots.  We had both the Simple and Sport (both by Cavallo) and they do not have a snug fit at the fetlock, therefore, small pieces of gravel gets in there and causes some pretty bad rubs, at least that was our experience with them.  We bought boots specifically for riding on gravel and blacktop too, and the Easy Boot Gloves are WONDERFUL!  I absolutely LOVE them and just wish we had found them sooner!!  The "shell"" fits BELOW the coronet band and fits tight against the hoof (like a glove  ;)) so no rocks can get it.  The only thing on the skin is the soft gaiter used to attach the velcro straps around the fetlock.  They are very easy to get on, and they will stretch some with use, BUT, you can also get the same type of shell inside the "Back Country"boot, also made by Easy Boot and fashioned after the Glove shell. We have been in deep mud and all held.  No problems!  No need to keep taking them off and putting them on throughout a ride though, so not sure why you mentioned that part??

BTW, I would at some point also like to try the Renegades, as they sound like another brand I'd be seriously interested in.
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

ponymare

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 09:04:20 am »

We ended up exchanging the fives for another set of fours, as Gabe also needed the four.  David trims his own, so he "plans" to keep them trimmed.  I ordered a second pair of gaiters in the sm-md, and will see if we can tell any difference.  Hoping we won't see any rubs, but I know I have some neoprene sandals that I thought wouldn't rub ME and occasionally they do. 

If we were to go to the Gloves, it would have to be the Wides since she said those have same measurement both ways.  But I have had friends who said they had trouble keeping the gloves on - possibly because they weren't shaped right for that particular foot.  I also heard they were harder to put on. 

The renegades are so much higher, but if these don't work we may have to try something different.

I was just thinking if they chafed over long rides, I might want to take them off.  I don't know as we've never ridden in boots.  It's been a hard time trying to convince my husband to give in and buy ANY.  He says the hooves will never toughen up if we always use the boots, but I told him we wouldn't be using them ALL the time!  I just want Sunny to be comfortable and not tiptoeing and trying to find the edge of the road (which is usually filled bushes and tree limbs, and usually there is hidden gravel in it anyway!  And Sunny's may never get the concavity needed.

kckc

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 10:37:36 am »

I think you need the boots - a hoof bruise or tender feet just stress the horse - their feet will toughen while out on pasture/turned out  -- I have rocky, sandy, clay mix of ground and my horses feet are really great now but they still avoid gravel like the plague if I ride without boots.   the gaitors helped stopped debris from getting into the boot with my boas and the only place I saw a bit of rub was where her feet were wet and sand got in the boot before I got the gaiters.  I don't recall having rub issues afterwards.   g'luck~
NC
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up