Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: color genetics?  (Read 610 times)

Imbluetoo

Re: color genetics?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 07:12:00 pm »

My experience with Smokey Black..they are always a bit faded, more so in the summer. They have the appearance of a black buckskin, if that makes sense. Body faded a bit, but points stay black. I have champagne horses as well, the pictures you posted does not show a champagne gene to me, just my opinion.
Some people call the color sooty buckskin..they absolutely have a chocolate look to them, it's just the creme gene diluting the black.
One of your horses looks to have a dilute gene, one maybe a fading black or seal brown..
I'm no color expert, but I have had a cremello stallion.
Melanie

OldnOrnery

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 10:21:12 pm »

I have a sooty buckskin mare who definitely shows buckskin coloring on her face, at the flank and between the hind legs. I'm not seeing buckskin on your mare.

It's easy to test, but it ain't free. You pull 20 tail hairs with the follicles attached and send them to the lab. I used UC Davis, tested agouti, red factor ($40 for the two) black ($25), cream($25), $90 just to know.  8)

bearxfoo

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 01:24:29 pm »

I will probably test for creme gene... although she does not look smokey black to me? I'm not sure. Color is very confusing to me.
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

Gus, 7 year old TWH gelding
Sol, 13 year old TWH mare
RIP CJ. April 1986 - April 10th, 2018. CJ was 32.

"Confidence is built on the back of a horse"

bearxfoo

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 02:45:37 pm »

Well I did decided to test for creme gene. I sent in some of her mane last week and today I got the results.

She is: "N/Cr - Heterozygous, dilute, one copy of Cream gene. Typical colors are palomino, buckskin and smoky black in the absence of other modifying genes."

So, she is very likely a smoky black. I don't know what other test I could do to narrow it down more. But it's interesting information to have!
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

Gus, 7 year old TWH gelding
Sol, 13 year old TWH mare
RIP CJ. April 1986 - April 10th, 2018. CJ was 32.

"Confidence is built on the back of a horse"

HoundsCroft

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 07:52:53 pm »

You can check for Agouti. If she has it, then she is a buckskin, and you can infer sooty, from how dark she is. If she doesn't have it then she must be smokey black.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up