verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need to mail order a shed, yesterday  (Read 315 times)

kathypa

I need to mail order a shed, yesterday
« on: August 26, 2014, 08:00:48 am »

Need something ez putup with a decent door. Hubby is losing his storage area to the horses and shed will hold mower/used weekly so a decent door is a must. I am hiding this shed behind the big shed because everything put up here raises taxes so can't buy one made local. Our taxes just went up for a $1000 carport - geez. 10x12 at least.. Suggestions??

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
Re: I need to mail order a shed, yesterday
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:23:00 am »

We just got two of these: http://www.weatherking.biz/
Very well-built for the price.  I don't think this company goes as far east as you are, but I recently saw something very similar posted on FB.
They are on skids, so (at least in our state) don't require a building permit, therefore shouldn't increase your taxes.  However, they are brought in on a flatbed trailer, so you can't "hide" it while it's being placed on your property. 
After building our own 17x40 run-in shed about 4 yrs. ago, we know what buying building materials retail costs--we would've saved a little bit if we'd built our own buildings, money-wise, but nowhere near enough to make it worth the blood, sweat & tears of doing it ourselves.
We bought two of the "barn style" w/ front porch and those offer loft storage also, but I think the smallest they have in that style is a 10x18.  We bought that size for our new tack room, and finally have plenty of room for all of our saddles (at least 3 of which are going to be for sale).
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:37:27 am »

can you add to the existing shed - perhaps a local carpenter?
NC

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 12:41:03 pm »

What about a resin shed from Home Depot?  Easy to put together yourself, definitely not a permanent structure.  Home Depot carries a 10' x 8' for $799.  Not cheap, but a quick, easy solution.

I was under the impression that things like an amish made run-in shed with tow hooks on it, so moveable, couldn't be used to increase your property taxes as they're not permanent structures.

I had a small rubbermaid shed at my first house.  I think I bought it at Sams club for $300 and it was 6' x 8' (give or take) was GREAT!  Fit all my lawn stuff in it, had it for 11 yrs and it was as good as new when I sold the house.
Karen

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 01:13:36 pm »

I just would suggest looking into building code requirements--just in case--different places have different codes.  When they brought in our buildings, I was in a tizzy after we ordered them, trying to figure out how the heck they would back the trailer up--turned out the guy had a really neat little piece of equipment that sits neatly on the front of the trailer.  He offloaded that first, then the trailer tilted up to slide the building off the back, and he connected the little skid steer to the front of the building, put two tires on the back, and was able to scoot our buildings right up onto their pads! 
ETA: pic of the tack room.  What will become our leather workshop is just beside the small one--the little one is 10x18, the large one is same style, but 12x24.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:17:33 pm by loneelk »
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kathypa

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 06:02:44 am »

Anything 8x8 o4 bigger needs a permit (so there go taxes). My neighbor built lots of buildings on the sly, but she's out of sight of the road. Still haven't decided what I want. Will be close to Home Depot tomorrow.

loneelk

• Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 07:34:07 am »

Kathy, does it make a difference if the building is on skids?  That was our loophole on the buildings we got.  For site-built, according to the NM Construction Industries website, up to 200 sq. ft. (NON-residential) is allowable w/o a permit.  We also just had an RV shelter built, but because of the size (17x46), we did have to have a building permit for it.  Fortunately we ordered from a company that has engineer drawn specs for their buildings, so it was just a matter of sending a copy of that packet to CID. 
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kathypa

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 01:33:22 pm »

No, not at all. What I'm doing now is using a shed I already have to put the lawnmower and motorcycle in. The chain link dog run will be lightly tarped for round bales that get delivered as I need them.
Horses will go into lean to added onto the bigger shed. The fence and brush cutting help has been costing more than I thought.
Hopefully this will work for the winter. The blasted farmer is taking his good old time cutting corn. Need it gone to drop more trees.
Pages: [1]   Go Up