Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold food ideas  (Read 467 times)

KysaSD

• Administrator
Cold food ideas
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:39:16 am »

So my trip to Kansas is going to have me camping when it is 90.  I had planned to take my frozen chili for an evening meal.  Nope, not at 90 degrees.
So, we need a different menu, and I am open to ideas.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
Re: Cold food ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:04:48 am »

Kysa, maybe not cold food, but do you have a microwave in your trailer?  Lots of times I precook things such as meatloaf, sloppy joes etc  and just warm them up in the microwave.   Pulled pork it great also.  And of course we always seem to have either smoked sausage or hot dogs on the grill also.

see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:12:51 am »

Our fallback menu for really hot weather is my homemade macaroni salad.  I make it w/ lots of green peas and cubed cucumber, pickle relish, and often thinly sliced celery.  Easy to make a bunch of it, then depending on how hot it actually is by suppertime and how hungry we are, we have it w/ hard cooked eggs on the side as the main dish, or as a side dish w/ cheeseburgers.  I'm pretty sure it's going to be a usual menu item when we start hauling our new trailer.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Walkin45

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:06:36 am »

Vishysuios?  Sp.

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:47:27 am »

We hAve a primitive camping site, all that was left.  So I will not have electricity.  I have a propane stove, but am definitely leaning towards some whole meal salads.  And not with pasta.  I have yet to find a gluten free pasta that is edible cold!

http://www.ateaspoonofhappiness.com/corn-chickpea-fiesta-salad-with-cilantro-lime-vinaigrette/

This sounded good, and I do have smoked brats to take along.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

kckc

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 11:58:52 am »

you could fix some spaghetti squash ahead of time and let it warm on the propane stove - I think it's edible at room temperature.   
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 12:05:06 pm »

Spaghetti squash is edible cold, too.  I have never thought to make a pasta salad with spaghetti squash, but I might try that sometime.  Unfortunately, out spaghetti squash are a long ways from being ripe.

kckc

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 12:15:51 pm »

any shipped in from elsewhere?  I love spagsq
something I found you might like - do you have Aldi's grocery stores?  they carry a brand of Simply Nature Vegetable Chips, Exotic Blend that are soooo good - they are gluten free.  Not sure where else they might be sold, I only see them at Aldi's.   I like them alone but bought some for a party next week as I think they will be equally good with a dip or as the crunch part of nachos, crunch on top of chicken and so much more.     
NC

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 12:55:41 pm »

Oh, shux--I knew but had forgotten about the gluten sensitivity issue  :(    How 'bout some other varieties of squash (winter squash?) chunked up, in place of pasta?  I buy spaghetti squash year 'round @ our local grocery store.  I'm sure it's better home grown, but up 'til very recently we had too many rabbits & squirrels to even think about trying to grow stuff here. 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 03:39:19 pm »

Hummus with crisp raw veggies and GF tortilla chips for dipping. Add some cheese and fruit and you have a complete meal.

Marinate and grill some chicken breasts. (I like to use a chili-lime fajita marinade) Cut them in slices to take chilled or frozen in your cooler. Use some of it over fresh greens to make chicken taco salad. For another meal, put some in a wrap with veggies and hummus. or just pull some out of the bag to eat with other finger foods.

The menu above would feed you the entire weekend with plenty of variety and not a lot of groceries.

OldnOrnery

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 05:13:00 pm »

Gazpacho + hummus on raw veggies + yogurt or buttermilk marinated grilled chicken. Healthy and filling. If you can handle rice chips, they make for good crunch broken into the gazpacho when you serve it. Easy on the onion since you're making it ahead of time. Store tightly sealed in a big jug.

We use:
fresh tomatoes, fresh peeled cucumbers, fresh ripe red bell peppers with seeds and stems removed - these three in about equal volume and cut into 1 inch chunks)
very small sweet onion minced
Knudsen Very Veggie, a cup or two for volume
Blend in a blender, don't purée.
salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and the best possible olive oil to taste. More olive oil and less vinegar is better for most people.

The usual garnish is homemade garlic croutons. Try the salted garlic rice chips instead. You'll want a little crunch. For those that don't like textured soups, you can purée and strain it.

doubtndeb

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 08:15:09 pm »

I saw a neat travel tip that put peanut butter in the bottom of a jar and stood celery up in it. Apples would work too.

Boiled eggs travel well too.

Debbie

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 05:55:39 pm »

Thanks for the hummus idea.  I make a mean homemade hummus!
That and tomatoes no cucumbers from the garden and some gluten free crackers.  That may be plenty if it is 95 as promised. 
And lots and lots of cold water!

fargos handmaiden

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 04:34:09 pm »

Not sure what your refrigeration is getting there but to me there is nothing better than a tuna salad which includes olives, a few crunchy veggies and we add sweet red seedless grapes to ours. Makes a nice occasional sweet surprise in the dish. Also ham salad. We are heavy into salads right now because of our heat wave here in Texas right now.

Laurie

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 05:13:52 pm »

If you can put it in an ice chest......
Chicken salad
Tuna salad
Avacados
Pimento cheese
Peanut butter
cheese and crackers with summer sausage or hard salami
tomatoes with all

Pages: [1]   Go Up