Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing tack to reduce mildew  (Read 346 times)

luv2ride

Storing tack to reduce mildew
« on: August 09, 2014, 07:23:25 pm »

Looking for ideas on how to help keep tack mold/mildew free while stored in trailer.

I do not have any other location to store tack and need advice please!

kckc

Re: Storing tack to reduce mildew
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 07:42:36 pm »

air flow - they used to make  a solar fan that was made for auto windows that had the window open just a crack and the fan pulled out air etc...  wonder if one of those would help>   they also make the moisture/humidity products but I found them aggravating to use. 
NC

Little Freckles

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:06:32 pm »

I am in the same spot for now-one thing I do is let the pad dry completley in the barn before I put it back in the trailer.  A friend of mine keeps her saddle in a padded carrier in her trailer all yr and I don't think it has ever mildewed.
Susan, close to Springfield, IL

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 11:29:56 pm »

Can you keep your trailer plugged in (I'm assuming you have electricity in it)?  They make little strip heaters that you can put in tight places.  The key to keeping the mold off is keeping the air warmer than the ambient temperature which will keep it dryer, and also as someone mentioned some air flow. 

My tack room is a wooden closet my husband made.  It's heated by two light bulbs run in series (they run at very low voltage).  I've had this setup for 25 years and have never had a speck of mold on anything inthere.

kckc

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 11:49:22 pm »

I have an old horse trailer I just didn't ever get sold and it has a window in the dressing room and with that open nothing has molded but with the humidity here it has to just be a miracle of where it's sitting or something.
NC

luv2ride

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 06:05:47 am »

Thank you everyone!

Going to buy some fans to keep on and need to keep tack out until completely dry!

TN Trail Rider

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 03:36:55 pm »

Just be very careful with leaving fans on.  The very cheap ones can short out and cause a fire.   Look at something called a "muffin fan" which is what is used in computers.  They are small and made to stay on for a long time. 

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:47:12 am »

I got a couple containers of DampRid to put in my trailer to help with the moisture & it seemed to work really well.

Raylin

Myaj

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 10:17:15 am »

Damp Rid.  Its not expensive and it works great.

Also make sure the pad is dry before putting it in.

luv2ride

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 04:14:54 am »

Have about three things of damp rid in trailer but did not help too much. However, I totally did not remember that there is a hole in the floor of the trailer for the shower pan which was not covered! Think that may have not helped out too much. Covered it so now I will see if it is better. Thanks everyone!

G84me

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 08:22:40 pm »

I bought some DampRid a couple years ago after someone here recommended it.  Works well for my trailer.  I have a leather saddle in it, sitting on the rack with two pads under it and a blanket snugged over it.  The DampRid sits about two feet away.  No mold on the saddle.

Joann
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding
Pages: [1]   Go Up