Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Heart and Sol  (Read 2307 times)

bearxfoo

Re: Heart and Sol
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 11:26:06 am »

Things for Sol and I have not been good.

I think it's time I give up horses all together... I don't fit in anywhere, I feel left out constantly. I'm too introverted and reserved. I have walls built. Maybe horses and I aren't meant to be.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:03:14 am by bearxfoo »
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

Sol, 13 year old TWH mare
RIP CJ. April 1986 - April 10th, 2018. CJ was 32.

"Confidence is built on the back of a horse"

bearxfoo

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 12:09:46 pm »

I haven't written in a long time and honestly, I haven't because I wasn't sure anybody cared. I still don't think anybody does but I need to write. So here I am.

Sol and I have had a lot of ups and downs. More downs, really. I've constantly circled back to thinking I need to sell her. Over and over. But really... horses are hard work, right? She's a living, breathing creature and things aren't always going to go perfect. She'll have off days. I will too.

since August 2015, the last time I wrote, a lot has happened between Sol and I.

At the beginning of August 2015, we rode at Oak Openings. One of my favorite places but too far to go to often. Sol did great. It was just Sol and one other friend of mine.

We did a fun rode ride about a week after that - although, the rode ride was okay, it happened because Sol wouldn't trailer load and had to decide to do something else.

After that episode of not trailer loading, I had a trainer come out and work with us and I think it helped - a lot. She hasn't given me trouble since then.

At the beginning of September, we went to Pontiac Lake to ride. Great place, but again, too far to go often. It's like a two hour drive! She did great, as usual, although that ride was pretty funny. It was 3 people and all 3 horses were not leaders... so at various times, all 3 of us were fighting to get our horses to go forward and lead down the trail.

Later in September I did a ride at Waterloo called "Women's weekend", which was fun. Sol always does great at Waterloo.

In October 2015, we did a decent sized group rode ride from a park to a cider mill. As usual, Sol did awesome.

Something happened along the way, and I don't even know what, honesty. But after I realized it had, I decided to send my mare to training for 30 days in February.

That, unfortunately, didn't work out. Not that Sol didn't learn from the experience. I think she did. But the experience overall, was not positive for Sol. And not for myself, either. There were some communication issues between myself and the trainer. I found out after I sent her there that she was kept in a small dry lot with no shelter and no buddies (I was thinking she'd be turned out in a herd). Sol was clearly miserable there and was not herself, at all. She spent a total of two months there and probably came back with less than a months of actual training on her. It was an expensive lesson learned... and, thankfully, I took her back from the trainer when my gut told me it was time and things weren't working out. Even though I heard nothing but positive reviews about this trainer, something about me he decided to try and take advantage. It almost worked but I figured it out just in the right time.

He told me that Sol is "green" and that "if it were him, he'd take her to auction". He implied that she was dangerous and he wouldn't even let his assistant ride her. It was hard to hear those things and for a moment, I almost believed him.

I'm glad I didn't though.

She came home in April.

Since she's been home, things have been good between us. I attempted to sell her, again, but was not successful.

The truth is that I love Sol, a lot, and I think I just got too emotional when things got bad between us and blew it out of proportion. I think, overall, she is a great horse and it's probably me that's the issue more than her. I've decided I'm keeping her and I'm done being silly with this whole selling thing. Horses are hard work. Sol will be hard work at times. She won't be perfect. And neither will I.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:32:34 am by bearxfoo »
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2016, 07:00:46 am »

I have decided that honestly, Sol is a pretty fantastic horse. She isn't perfect, but she's a lot better than a lot of other horses I see out on the trails. I've seen some crazy horses, bucking, rearing... acting like general fools. Sol has never done any of that nonsense and I'm thankful.

I think the issues we were having were my own. And I should have worked through them myself, kept it to myself, not broadcasted it around. It is what it is, though. And I can't take back what I've said or done. But now we unfortunately have a reputation. People tell me they don't want to ride with me because Sol doesn't trailer load. Or that I don't ride a lot, so saddle fit and other issues aren't a big deal.

Sol's trailering hasn't been an issue since last summer. A great trainer worked with us, for one session, and she's been golden since. I thought maybe every spring she'd need a refresher, but I think I got her number (she loads fantastically with a whip - not using it on her, but just as an extension of your arm for added pressure. With that, she walks right in and stands for me to put up the butt bar). So no issues there.

And yeah, maybe we haven't ridden as much as others. But I'm 27, working full time, and going to school full time. My bachelors is almost done - I'm graduating in December. So I don't get as much time to go out to the barn as others and I think sometimes people who are retired or aren't in school and are older adults forget this. I'm just lucky I don't have children on top of all this. I'm also working on my health so I can lose weight and get into police academy. So, busy life for myself.

But, moral of the story: Sol and I are doing great and I'm happy with her.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:41:22 pm by bearxfoo »
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 10:18:54 am »

This season has been pretty fantastic for Sol and I. Although I haven't ridden as much as I would like, I've had some good times and I hope to keep going places this summer. :)

The first ride of the season we did a special, once a year ride called the Green Lake Ride. Once a year at Waterloo, a trail is opened up for use by horses. The trail is a hiking trail which is opened all the time for people, but one day a year for horses. It's a rather large ride and I'd say at least 50 or more people show up for this ride.

Sol did great and we were in a group of 4, including myself. We trailered alone and she did fantastic. A little anxious but, hey, she'll get over it.

Here we are taking a little break :)

Hanging out on a highline when we got to the destination, she was fantastic among all the horses. I think she just ended up napping.

Us on a shore, while my friends were in the water taking the photos:

Next time we got to ride was Memorial Weekend. A big gap but sadly we had a lot of odd weather: rain, cold, just general weirdness and didn't get a chance to ride. So some weekends I dedicated to yard work instead.

But, here is Sol at Waterloo Memorial weekend. She did fantastic again, of course.

Next up is the ride I did this past weekend. And boy, am I SO excited that I got to do it.

It's a once a year ride on Belle Isle in Detroit. Belle Isle is not open normally for horses but once a year a group organizes a charity ride and people can come, donate money and ride the island. It's about a two hour ride around the whole island but it's absolutely fantastic and unique.

HUNDREDS of horses come out to this ride. This year the group was "smaller" due to it being abnormally warm (high was 93 that day!). But that's okay, it was still fantastic. Sol did AMAZING. The group was large, and there was so much going on. Cars whizzing by us (we rode along the paved road that goes around the whole island), bikes going by us, people (tons of people!). Even animals as we passed by the zoo and saw some exhibits that were outside. Sol did absolutely amazing. I was so proud of her!

Here is Sol looking out at the beach. I believe this is facing Detroit.

Half-way rest break, just a taste of all the horses that were there!

Group shot of some horses in front of us:

During our group shot, Winsor is what you can see in the distance:

Half of the group:

The Belle Isle ride was the most unique event I've gone to with Sol and it was fantastic. She did amazing and I hope to go every year from now on!

Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 07:00:09 pm »

I know I mostly talk about my mare, Sol, but I do actually have a second horse, CJ.

I got CJ through sheer luck. As a kid growing up, I had loved horses. I owned all kinds of Breyer horse toys, tons of horse books, you know, the works. Unfortunately, my mother worked two jobs and could not afford lessons for me. To be honest, I don't think we ever knew lessons were a "thing". I rode a couple of times as child with friends who parents owned horses. In fact, I remember one of my childhood best friends had horses. Her mom road a TWH and my friend had a QH. I remember road riding with her as a kid and completely loving it.

At around 15/16 years old, I was given an awesome opportunity. In high school, I was dating a guy and his mom had horses. I begged him to ask his mom if she would take me riding. Well, when he finally asked - she agreed!

So I went on my first proper ride. She had two horses, both mares, one a TWH and one a Kentucky Mountain. She was on her horse, Cheyenne, and I was on the Kentucky Mountain, named Lady.

It was the start of something beautiful.

Unfortunately, my friends main mare, Cheyenne, ended up injured just a few weeks after that ride. She did not recover and had to be put down. She started riding the Kentucky Mountain mare, Lady, but they weren't a good fit, so she sold her.

Her farrier told her about a horse he had just gotten. He had done this horses feet his whole life but unfortunately, the owners were elderly, the husband died and the wife couldn't care for the horses anymore. So the farrier took one of the horses, a 19 year old Racking Horse. She agreed to take him from the farrier but after riding him a few times, he was just "too slow" for her. She kept him, but bought a second horse for herself, a younger, faster horse.

Now she had two horses. So she started taking me riding with her. I rode the older horse, she rode her youngster. I bonded with that older horse pretty quickly. Soon, she asked me if I wanted to keep him. I was only 16ish at the time. I said yes in a heart beat!

Every since then I've owned CJ.

CJ is the most amazing horse I've ever met. He taught me everything I know. He took care of me when I was a beginner, learning to deal with horses, learning balance. He is, and has been, the best horse I've ever worked with.

CJ is 30 now, and I just can't ride him the way I want to ride. He's in fantastic shape, but has pretty bad arthritis. He's pretty slow these days but still as calm and collected as ever. The people the farrier got him from had him as a baby until he was 19. They rode the snot out of him and took him all over the place - all over the country. Now he enjoys a nice, retried life. Most people are shocked when they look at him and I tell them he's 30!

A women at my barn sold her younger MFT because she was just too much horse for her. She asked me if CJ could be her "therapy" horse and I happily said yes! She's a fantastic women who just needs a horse more "her" pace and CJ fits that perfectly. I admit that I don't pay him nearly enough attention. He deserves to be messed with more often and now he will be. I'm so happy that CJ will have a person in his life who can give him 100%, where as I could only ever give him 50% because of Sol. Not that he complained any - he lives a good life of eating, pooping, and sleeping!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:03:26 pm by bearxfoo »
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2016, 10:02:57 am »

Sol and I have been doing a lot of riding this season and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Last year it felt like we didn't go a lot of places, but we are now so I'm super excited.

Last weekend we took a long trip up to a campground named Sleepy Hollow State Park. It was a rough drive (2 hours!). I decided not to camp because I don't tent camp and I don't own a LQ trailer, so we went for a day ride and we were there ALL day. I think I finally got home at around 11pm.

Sol did fantastic as usual. No problems trailer loading or anything at all. Sol even saw a horse being driven for the first time, and she was entirely confused, which was hilarious. She spooked "a bit" when it passed us; more like she backed up and stared very intently as it went by us. I could see her expression of confusion, haha.

But here are some pictures from Sleepy Hollow.

this is Sol and her boyfriend Affaire. They're super cute together. They're pasture mates and Sol is totally in love with him. His owner and myself ride together a lot!

Our friends that we rode with were camping at Sleepy Hollow.

Sol relaxing in the trailer as we stopped to pee :P

Nice and sweaty after our ride!

Then this past weekend Sol and I went to Brighton State Pack to ride. I haven't been there in years! But it was a lot of fun and we basically ran the whole ride, which was awesome. Sol is a great galloper - never bucks or gets overly excited when we start cantering or galloping.

Not many pictures from this weekend :(

My new favorite thing about Sol though is that she *finally* started rolling around me in the arena. Sol has never rolled before in the arena, ever. I would get her soaking wet and walk her in and she'd just stand there. She wouldn't even roll after I turned her out, but this season she finally started doing it, and I think it's a huge step her with trusting me.

First she started rolling in her pasture when I turned her out, then one day I let her free lunge in the arena and she rolled! I wasn't close by but I could see her. Then, for fun, I decided to see if she'd do it while leading her - and she does now! Makes me so happy she is starting to really trust me.

:)
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2016, 08:43:21 am »

Unfortunately the heat has just been so extreme that I haven't had much riding this month :( With temps constantly being in the mid to upper 90s, even some triple digits, it's just not safe to ride.

We did have a scavenger hunt at my barn this past Saturday. I wasn't going to ride at first because the lady leasing CJ was going to use my saddle - however, she found a saddle that fits him (mostly). so I was able to ride!

Now, I was nervous to ride because Sol is pretty foolish on the bridle trail around our barn. I don't ride here around the bridle trail often because she gets very anxious, spooky and nervous. She's great anytime I take her anywhere else - Waterloo, Kensington - literally any other trail, but at home she's a mess. So I was pretty nervous but we ended up being in a big group of people and she did absolutely wonderful. No spooking at all.

It was a really fun time and I really enjoyed it. Happy that Sol behaved herself and didn't make me incredibly nervous.

Just one picture from the night :)

Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2016, 07:17:49 pm »

Finally the weather has broken and today was an awesome, cool day to ride. So I did!

A group of 3 of us went to Waterloo. Our ride was great until I ate dirt. :( We had been doing a fair bit of running and at one point, Sol and I took a turn I think a little too fast. She did something weird with her back end.. felt like a buck almost, but she's never, ever bucked with me before, so I don't really know what happened.

We made it around the turn after that and I thought we were fine, albeit I had lost my left stirrup but I didn't think it was a big deal (I lose them a lot, I'm short). Next thing I know, I'm thrown over her head and I hit the ground HARD. I landed on a bunch of rocks. My head also hit the ground - lucky I was wearing a helmet! It wasn't dented but it was scratched and full of dirt. I really don't know what happened, we were quite a distance from the turn we had taken and we were going up a small hill, nothing too steep or horrible.

I can't really understand what happened. Her knees weren't scrapped so I don't think she went down, but I was thrown over her head so she had to have put her head down enough. I don't know if she bucked or what. It happened so fast, we were going and then I hit the ground. It was crazy.

Now I'm just really sore.. slowly mending. My knee is scrapped, my helmet was scrapped, and my entire left side of my body is swollen and extremely sore.

Oh well, part of riding horses, right?

Here is the only picture I was able to get on the ride :)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:46:30 am by bearxfoo »
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2016, 06:25:24 am »

I was pretty bummed yesterday because I'm pretty banged up and had a really hard time at work. So I was super surprised when I came home and found my helmet had arrived! Cheered me right up!

On a side note, DHL sucks. I bought my helmet from a tack store in Germany because, simply, we have almost none here. I've even gone to Equine Affaire and still found more of the same stuff; all the basic helmet brands, none of the fancier ones I wanted to try. So, I took a gamble, and bought this helmet online without being able to try it on.

Well, there they ship with DHL. It shipped quickly from the tack store but DHL sucks, big time. According to their tracking, my package is still in Germany......  ::) I'm not sure how that's possible, because it's definitely at my home!

I bought a Uvex helmet. They're a German company with good reviews. I had tried on a Uvex Suxxeed Velours (fancy show helmet) in a local tack store and it fit perfectly, but they had no other models for me to try. Doing some research, I found that Uvex are the roundest on the market.

So I went with a Uvex Exxential. It's a sporty model with lots of air vents. It fits pretty well but the bad thing about having a round head... helmets look down right ridiculous on me. Especially this one. But I guess looking ridiculous is okay for safety, right?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:03:15 am by bearxfoo »
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2016, 09:50:53 am »

Had my first ride back on Sol since our fall on Sunday. Everything went pretty okay. Went back to Waterloo with two other friends, Stacy and Kathy. They both ride Walkers.

Sol is gaited but she's slow. Not a speed demon. She can rack, but it's a slow rack. I'd say her gait is about as fast as a nice slow, collected trot, maybe a tad faster. So with most gaited horses, Sol and I have a hard time keeping up with them. At one point we were down a dirt road and they were all racking up a storm in front of us. Sol was getting pretty upset because we could not keep up safely. If I let her go we're hard pacing and it's just so dang uncomfortable. Holding her in gets her more upset though, so it's like... damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Sol is also very trippy.. almost every ride we have a sizeable trip where she goes down to her knees. Gonna talk to the farrier about it. Not sure if it's her or just her feet. Wish I could make her more sure footed. On Sunday she did just that and it was pretty big trip, lost my stirrups when she went down. Somehow I managed to stay on. Stuff like that makes me question her safeness. 

No pictures... I hate pictures, honestly, I need to be less fat for pictures.
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 09:42:07 am »

Life has been really crazy for me lately and unfortunately, I haven't ridden too much because of it.

I think I've ridden two or three times since my fall.

But in August, my dog Dylan, an 8 year old Staffy, had to get surgery :( He completely shredded his ACL ligament. He also had a meniscus injury.

It's been a challenge adhering to the vets orders. We took him to MSU for the surgery as we wanted the best care possible for him. It was expensive but I love this dog, so we paid it. He's a month post-op now, so half way through his recovery process (8 weeks total).

His guidelines have been incredibly strict - when we're gone, he has to be confined to a crate or small room. He isn't allowed to run, jump - anything remotely "dog" like (with our without our supervision).

Dylan can't be crated, he has extremely high anxiety. So we opted for the small room option and that didn't go so well either. He wasn't destructive or anything like that. He was, however, extremely depressed. Dylan is use to being left alone during the day as we go to work - he has no issue with that. However, the confinement is the problem. 

Dylan spent his days howling and barking excessively - the point of causing himself to go hoarse. We had anxiety medicine for him, but it simply wasn't working. He'd plow through his max dose as it it were nothing at all.

It broke our hearts. But luckily, now that he's a half way into recovery, we moved him to our living room, just removing the couches and blocking the stairs. Now he can look outside and be normal again (since the main level of our house is where he normally is at anyway).

Since then we've gained significance freedom again; we're no longer feeling guilty leaving him locked up in a room if we just want to go out for a bike ride or out to dinner (things we stopped since his surgery).

And, I hadn't been to the barn for that reason. But now I can, as he isn't confined and is happy as a clam when we leave, as long as he gets to look out that window.

My last two rides on Sol were... meh. The last one in particular was kind of crappy.

Sol was just full of attitude.

It started with trailer loading. We haven't had any issues all season... She's in fact, been great. All season. Just walking right in like it was nothing. Like she was a pro and she'd go anywhere. Our last ride I didn't even drive - somebody picked us up and she walked right into that trailer too.

But this past ride? Oh no. She fought. She fought me hard. I thought we weren't riding. She refused to go in. Not scared - just refusing.

Finally, she went in, but it was a big fight between us.

Riding was ok but you could tell she was amped and unhappy. When we got to the creek we have to cross, she got really angry. I don't let her in the water because she rolls. So she told me exactly how she felt about that - by rearing. It was a baby, little hop up but she did it. Telling me exactly how unhappy she was not to join her friends in the water.

All this attitude came from one thing that had happened that morning - I opened the gate for her pasture mates to go out and she didn't go with them (the horses are kept in a dry lot at night). So she held it against me the whole day - even after we rode, we still fought about getting in the trailer to go home.

She is a very typical mare.

Sometimes dealing with the attitude is just too much - all I want is a horse that is wanting to be a partner with me, not be in charge. Sol wants to be in charge - she wants it her way. There is no partnership here. When we have bad rides and lots of attitude, I always go back to wondering if the grass is greener on the other side.

I took her in the arena last night at my barn and she did great - we did lots of groundwork and she was willing; no fuss, no issues. But something as small as her not getting turned out with her herd causes her entire viewpoint to change and she punishes me for that - how DARE I change her routine.

And we still can't go out alone or lead in a group...

Just one of those days, I guess.

Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2016, 10:03:09 am »

Well, after our ridiculous trailer loading difficulty a couple weekends ago, I decided that we needed to obviously work on this issue and make sure that we hadn't regressed back to having trailering issues.

So I went out during the week, hooked up my trailer and didn't even move it. Just left it where I park at. Which is good, because it meant we would be loading in an unfamiliar place. She needs that - she needs to load anywhere, anytime, not just where she's comfortable and use to it.

It had been raining all day but I managed to catch a break in the rain. I took her out, and just went straight to the trailer. She was snorting up a storm - the trailer parking is at the back of the property, where she's uncomfortable and spooky. But that's okay.

The doors were open and all ready for her - and just like normal, she walks right in. In and out three separate times.

I was relieved we hadn't regressed but also peeved because she let something as simple as me opening the gate for her pasture mates get to her. She held that grudge all day while riding - pissed off she didn't get turned out.

What a mare. What. A. Mare.  ::)
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 05:56:48 am »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:30:27 am by bearxfoo »
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2016, 09:29:58 am »

Sometimes I'm an idiot and I will acknowledge this fully.

This past Sunday I went riding with another friend from the barn I board at. Deciding to try and expose Sol to more things, I opt'd to have her trailer us. She has a slant load older Eclipse trailer, 2 horse.

At first we tried to load Sol in second but she didn't understand where to stand and I tried to lead her in, she stepped on my foot. It hurt a lot.

So we switched and put her in first. My friend led her in and she went okay. We had to close the door before the divider so we could clip her head and then open the back door slightly to close the divider on her.

In the trailer, she was anxious. Pawing while we were driving (which she normally doesn't do).

When we got to the park, my friend unloaded her horse first, no problem. then Sol. I went under the divider and unclipped her head first as I didn't want her to try and barrel out with her head still clipped and then panic when she felt that pressure on her head (this has happened to me before, and it was very scary!).

But I guess unclipping her head first was the wrong choice with a slant load (I've been taught to always unclip their heads first, just to avoid the above situation). As I went to reach for the divider to open it, I felt the trailer shaking and I thought at first she was rearing - but no, she tried to go UNDER the divider.

I was shocked and got her to stop before she hurt herself, but it was scary.

I guess I was stupid for unclipping her first, but I feel like now in a slant load.. it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either I don't unclip her head and then if I open the divider and she starts to back out before I unclip her head..... then what? But if I unclip first, is she going to try and go under the divider?

This mare is something else.

But I can say for the first time, I can happy to have a straight load where if I'm alone, I can load and unload safely without any issues of leading her in and getting stepped on or crushed against a divider. Sol self loads in a straight load - I point, she goes in, and I put up the butt bar and ramp. Walk around through my escape doors, and clip her head in FRONT of the breast bar, and then leave. All safe.

I can say now that I prefer my straight load.

Our ride was nice and uneventful. Trailering back home was okay too, but I did undo the divider first and QUICKLY unclipped her head before she could back out (but it was close).

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:14:00 am by bearxfoo »
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

bearxfoo

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2016, 05:22:25 am »

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:16:00 am by bearxfoo »
Stephanie, S.E. Michigan

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up