Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hay Helpers  (Read 783 times)

OHTrailGaitin

Re: Hay Helpers
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 08:23:48 am »

Man, that wears me out just reading it!! I thought I'd about die doing 200-300 bales at a time, and that was just running the baler and then stacking in the barn. Good to have all the hay you need though  :)
Karen

A canter is a cure for every evil.  ~Benjamin Disraeli

Formerly known as k w a p p

Laurie

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 04:44:03 pm »

I'm glad it was you and not me!  The last time I actually had to do that I about died.......for us.....its worth it to pay a little extra and get it stacked in the barn for us....I guess we are getting too old :'(  fortunately, our hay man has one of those fancy machines that picks up the bales and stacks it on the trailer for him. 

But.....isn't it a good feeling to have your hay for the year in the barn!

Laurie

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 06:15:37 pm »

WOW, that was quite the task!  Nothing like the feeling of having all your hay in the barn for the year!!  Looks like nice hay!!
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

G84me

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 06:21:36 pm »

John, that is amazing... and UPS brags about THEIR LOGISTICS!!  You guys could give them a run for their money.
After reading the entire post, I am suddenly very very tired.  :P
You guys  take two days off to recuperate and celebrate with some crackers, cheese and WINE!!   8)

congratulations!
Joann
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 06:43:30 pm »

WOW!  That is amazing!  Happiness is indeed a full hay barn!  And to haul (and stack) 500 bales in a day is a monumental task.  Yes, logistics!  The most we ever hauled here in one day is about 110 bales (all that would fit on our $300 hay trailer).  But hay cutting and baling weather here is in the 95 deg. and up temp range, which doesn't lend itself to a lot of strenuous outdoor activity.  So when we were hauling big loads of hay, we would do about one load for every cutting our hay grower made--when his fields were in full production he'd get about 5 or 6 cuttings in a season.  That always got us a full hay barn by about mid-November, when he sometimes was cutting his last field.
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

donato

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 12:57:55 pm »

Holy COW!  What a great day of hay!  I got 300 in my barn in one day this year, I have a 40 min haul over (more if the lights aren't just right) and a 50 min haul back home, 2 trips with the hay trailer with 100 bales on the trailer, some in the pickup bed, and 1 trip with my 3H slant in an effort to maximize efficiency - I made 3 trips.  Just me and one other person for over ~ 200 bales, and I'm old, sit at a desk every day of the week, and was D Y I N G by about bale # 100, as I stacked in the horse trailer where their nifty loader dealie didn't fit - TH for the strong neighbor boy that works out regularly.  My husband helped for ~ 100 bales.  Then I got 100 more bales ~ a week later, TH, as I was barely alive for work the next day after the 300!  Again, TH for the strong neighbor boy.  Wish someone would've made ME dinner that  night!   ::)

You'd asked what to pay - I pay $10 @ hour, doesn't matter if we're driving to the fields (they load, HALLELUJAH!!!) or waiting in the fields or actually touching a bale.  I always tip too if they're really hustling.  Hay is hard, dirty work imo, and I hate it.  I want all the help I can muster every summer.   ;D  This year the neighbor boy made $100 for helping me two nights after he got off work at 4:30 & 5 PM.  I want to keep him happy and willing to help me.

kckc

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 02:31:19 pm »

This discussion just brings up all the good and bad memories of hay - lots of camaraderie years ago as several people all went together and helped each other get hay but it got to a point where the lifting, stacking, getting it into the barn, getting off work when it was cut was just too much.  I am so lucky I can get good quality round bales of hay because we don't have anyone willing to do this type of work out in the heat.   I brought in about 10,000 lbs of hay (11 round bales) a day or two ago and offloaded with the skidsteer.   
You guys are lucky you have able and willing help!!!
NC

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 04:05:21 pm »

My interesting story.  Usually, my dad (who is now 78) drives the tractor, and I and Jane's husband stack on the wagon and then restack in the barn.  But this year, we had rain rain rain every time we wanted to cut.  Ended up the first of September before we got FIRST cutting!  I only make about 150 or so little squares.  Just for camping, potential sick horses, and horse motel customers.  But 150 bales is a lot for a 55 year old certified weakling!  And because school had started and Jane's husband drives bus, it was just ME!  My niece who is living with my parents did help a bit, but she is no stronger than I.  We got all the bales stacked on 3 flatbeds.  And I towed the first two home.

We have a young man who has worked for us for several years.  He is now in his second or third year of college.  He came in to my store and asked what it would cost to rent my horses for an afternoon!  He has a girlfriend that likes horses and has taken some riding lessons.  I looked at Morgan's 6'2" strong wiry male frame and said--help stacking the bales in the barn!  So he did.  I took he and his girlfriend and her little sister on a 2 hour ride last Sunday.  We all had fun!  Easiest payment for stacking hay I have ever had!
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH, a Florida Cracker Horse and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 07:36:26 am »

Great solution, KYSA!
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up