verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solar fence charger  (Read 305 times)

Winona

Solar fence charger
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:53:51 pm »

I've had one stored in the basement. Stopped using it after a couple years use. I now use electric. Thought I might use it camping some day for a small paddock, but doubt that's gonna happen. Husband says he has no safe way to check it. Do these last, or should I assume it goes to the junk yard? It has probably been sitting for > 5 years. Thanks. I would like to sell it for a small amount if it is going to work.
Jodi, Northern NY, Paso Fino/Icelandic/Mini

kathypa

Re: Solar fence charger
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 07:20:29 pm »

I found out the hard way that the chargers work when the sun hits them. Dropped mine!

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:25:18 pm »

You can replace the batteries of them if they go bad. We have 2 a larger one & a smaller one.

The larger one I bought off of a board member several years ago from here & it is still working great.

Raylin

kckc

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:19:58 pm »

I have a couple that are very old - one now only works when the sun is on it but they really lasted a long long time.  I would keep just in case you end up without power or need a containment area.   You could put it out in the sun and after a couple of days of sun to get it charged just hit the on button.  even if it's not plugged to anything it will blink if it's charging.  be sure you wipe off the solar panel first.
NC

Winona

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 04:08:20 am »

It's in the sun today so I'll check when I get home. I could keep it for the little I'll get for it, but I'm in the mood to clean out everything not in use. No more room! Thanks for all the info.

oncidium

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 03:22:00 pm »

Well so does it work?

I am that way, clean out things like a wild person.  I have no idea how things get so built up in junk.  I am a minimalist by nature, but husband, not so to the extent I am.  I am not big on buying stuff.

Winona

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 07:31:43 pm »

Well, it made a mild clicking noise, but the light didn't come on. It didn't make any noise when out of the sun. It was out several days in a row. I stuck it in the barn. I don't see myself using it. Not sure if the dump will take it.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 07:43:44 pm »

We had one that was destroyed in the monster windstorm last summer, not long after we'd finally found a replacement battery for it  :(
Our solid waste plant readily accepted it as "trash".  I think they cut off the lead cords that connected the solar collector to the battery & ground--they put the cords into recycle bin, and the rest was just "trash".  I think--I've slept since then....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:37:28 am by loneelk »
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

kckc

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:36:41 pm »

offer it to a rescue - they can buy a new battery for it and save some funds
NC

Winona

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:03:52 pm »

The rescue idea....there are 2 near enough that I can give it to them if interested. I will check. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up