verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Porta Grazers! Worth every penny!  (Read 2195 times)

ponymare

Re: Porta Grazers! Worth every penny!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 03:13:16 pm »

Well, I just looked at your link.  And it really didn't explain how they were a feed source, so I guess we are just to assume it is the leaves.  I would of course want to do more research on that, but I know mine love to eat all the vines in our woods LOL!  And probably leaves as well.  And they have been in this pasture for 14 years, so hopefully, the trees they are picking to eat are nutritious LOL!

They do sound like they would be good for shade, etc.  and I did notice it said they were non invasive in use for creek bank erosion, etc.  It will be at least 5 years before we retire to TN, so we might look into planting some on the property now.  Since we will have to hire the property to be mowed, hopefully, they wouldn't annihilate them!  I'm going to show this link to David and see what he thinks. As I said, we don't have much acreage, so it would be nice to have some supplemental forage!

melissah

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 03:36:18 pm »

Melissa, where did you get your 3 stall shelter?  On the new property we purchased in TN (for retirement) there will not be much room to put a shelter without eating up all their pasture. I've been trying to figure out what we would do.  Ideally we would be able to purchase the property next to us, but can't count on that!

I got them here. http://www.cactushorsecorrals.com/ This type of shelter is very common out in California and the southwest. I'm sure you could find them anywhere though.  We bought them and put them up ourselves....boy that was a sight too in our 50 mph winds that day!
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.

ponymare

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 09:53:41 pm »

Thanks! We might have to add some sides as a windbreak since we have some cold, wet weather on occasion.

ponymare

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 07:15:03 am »

So you got a combination of the shed row (mare motel) and corrals?

melissah

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 07:32:54 am »

So you got a combination of the shed row (mare motel) and corrals?

We only have the 3 stall shelters and corrals. The mare motel was at the boarding facility before we bought our property.
Melissa, Southern California.....hitting the trails with Jex my Tennessee Walking Horse...soon.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up