Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome FLASH!  (Read 998 times)

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
Welcome FLASH!
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:22:24 pm »

Welcome Flash!  Rita's Rocky x Paint, Flash, will be joining our little herd of geldings soon.  Chip is my only rideable horse:  TWH Hodge (26) has arthritis in his hips, SSH Jazz (19) has been diagnosed with ringbone and struggles to walk, and of course Buster (4) is a little pony.  Flash will be loved on and eventually ridden by the kids...and ME!! 

We've been sprucing up the barn, drylot and pasture for Flash's arrival.  Going to buy a bag of his feed to transition him to same feed as the other guys.  We have pasture GRASS.  Lots of it!  Hoping we can turn him out overnight with the others to graze and stretch his legs, then return with the others to the sacrifice drylot and barn run-in with grass hay during the day.  I think Buster pony will enjoy the addition of Flash as a new playmate the most. 

Last week I had the trailer place check all my brakes and the under carriage of my new-to-me trailer, purchased at the end of last year.  Within days of getting it home, I had the entire brake system replaced from controller to shoes, drums and wheel bearings.  Then, it sat all winter.  They inspected to tell me we should be good to go to Wichita to pick up Flash.  This week, I plan to take it to the tire store to have all my tires checked...hope I don't have to replace, but now would be the time to do it before the drive to Wichita.

Rita and Cliff are headed north to ride with Kysa and friends in South Dakota.  On their way north, they'll drop Flash off with Susan Selby, horse motel owner and friend of several of my riding pals (I've stayed with her to attend riding clinics she's hosted).  Flash is going to stay overnight to rest and be picked up by me the following morning.  I'll take Chip down to Wichita to accompany Flash back so he won't have to ride in the trailer alone.  Chip is accustomed to traveling alone and should be fine on the way down from our home in Kansas City. 

So looking forward to this big adventure!  I've had several friends plus my son volunteer to keep me company on the trip.  This is going to be fun! 

Thank you Rita! 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:24:53 pm by HopeMissouri »

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
Re: Welcome FLASH!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:22:22 pm »

Flash is here!  Son Spencer, Chip and I picked him up Saturday from Susan Selby's facility in Wichita, KS.  We arrived around 12:30.  Off-loaded Chip to let him rest.  Flash spent the night in Susan's huge outdoor arena.  Spencer and I ate lunch as the horse boys ate their Purina Hydration Hay.  Loaded Chip into the middle stall first to be a magnet for Flash.  Flash hasn't been trailered much, and more often in a straight load.  Flash paused at the door, considered, then loaded his forefeet straight in, nose over Chip's butt.  Chip wasn't pleased and Flash was confused, so I asked him to step out.  Let him think for a moment, then asked him in again.  Without hesitation he stepped in, both feet.  Making the turn around the rear tack to put his head out the window for his cookie and fly mask.  What a nice, nice boy! 

Flash and Chip spent 4 hours on the trailer home.  But, the first horse that chose to be Flash's friend was Buster/pony.  They spent the night together in the run-in separated by a fence, the next day they shared the run-in.  Flash (age 3) is such a quiet good natured fellow.  Hope to have him integrated into the herd with Chip (RMH 14), Buster (pony 4), Jazz (SSH 19) and Hodge (TWH 26) by this weekend. 

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:17:50 pm »

Flash has found his place in the herd!  Below 14yo Chip and older Hodge (26yo TWH), even with 4yo Buster (pony) and above crippled (19yo) Jazz.  Mostly stays out of trouble with the older boys.  Frolics in the pasture with the pony. 

Saturday Flash took his first trailer rides alone, without the lure of Chip already loaded.  Flash confidently stepped in, walked to the window to his treat bucket while I shut the divider from outside.  I walked around the trailer, asked him to put his head down to put his fly mask on.  Perfect.  Good boy!  Off we went.  Waited to back out when I asked from his window, but with a little more energy than he needed.  Then, waited for me at the backdoor. 

Our trailer ride was 16 miles down the interstate for a trail/obstacle clinic with clinician, Jenny Vaught, who I have ridden with for many years.  I haven't felt confident with an achy knee to ride any of my horses, much less a horse I'm not familiar with yet.  Jenny was agreeable to putting a ride on Flash for me.  This clinic was probably much more than Flash had ever seen.  Lots of horses in the arena with flags, sticks and strings flying.  Energy!  Plus the boarded horses along the arena rail and the llama that was very interested in what we were doing.  Sensory overwhelm for Flash.  When Flash gets worried, he's more likely to startle, stop and assess.  When Jenny went to mount from the block, she stroked him, moved the stirrup back and forth, then reached over his back to move the off stirrup.  As she reached, Flash startled, went down on his haunches and spun.   Jenny looked at me, "like what just happened"?   Flash wasn't ready to be ridden. 

3yo baby Flash gets to go to Fair Play, MO next month for 30-days with Jenny and her husband Tony.  Flash's buddy, Buster, may get to go with him.  It will be good for both, to be prepared for my sons, grandsons and me to ride.  In the meantime, I'm freed up to ride my dear, Chip.  Until last Thursday, I hadn't ridden at all since June 1.  Chip went with me the following day of the clinic (this past Sunday) to the trail/obstacle contest the day after the clinic.  We had a great time.  Love fun trail class clinics! 

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:54:28 pm by HopeMissouri »

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:06:04 pm »

Flash is trainer headed.  They had room on the trailer to take him today.  Already missing his sweet face. 

So I don't loose track again, here's a link to Flash's GRANDsire, Spooks Gotta Gun:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDwPtwtjZD0

Photo of his mum, Kathleen Files > Candy (she looks very similar to Chip) 

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:01:28 pm by HopeMissouri »

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 09:16:21 pm »

Big adventure yesterday:  My friend, Susan Engle*, has a new fox trotter in training with Jenny & Tony Vaught so she invited me to ride down with her to see Flash!  Down and back, seven hour round trip from Kansas City, to Fair Play just north of Springfield, MO. 

Tony is ponying Flash from his horse this week.  He probably ponied Flash tacked up today.  If all went well today, tomorrow he'll probably have one of his apprentices saddle Flash and ride as Tony pony's. 

Missing my big sweet boy.  Hope to go down for another visit next week.  Just can't stay away! 

*Friend Susan Engle is well-known author.  Here's her most recent book, an autobiography of her early horse life:  http://www.amazon.com/Susan-Engle/e/B009H9RDGO

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:52:53 pm by HopeMissouri »

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 05:43:36 pm »

Flash is looking good!  Two weeks with the trainer.  Lots of exercise.  We made the 7 hour round trip to see him.  Trainer, Tony Vaught, spent as much time on the ground playing with Flash as he did riding.  Flash is sensitive.  Not too concerned with separation from the other horses while working in the arena.  Listens to the trainer.  Tries to please!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:51:27 pm by HopeMissouri »

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
Re: Chip's turn to shine!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 04:40:23 pm »

Handsome Flash is still at the trainer.  Think we must be at day 18 or so. 

In the meantime, this past Saturday (August 16) I rode Chip at the Kansas City Regional Fox Trotting Association.  I was show vendor chairperson, so Chip and I arrived around 11am to greet folks as they entered the Longview Horse Park.  Then I rode Chip through the park to the arena to show the vendors where to set up.   The show began at 4:30.  We competed in class #2, the Open Gaited Trail Class.  We won 2nd place!  (Last year we were 5th.) 

First Obstacle: 

The other obstacles were:
-- Sidepassing post to mailbox
-- 360* turn in box
-- rope gate
-- back through and around barrels
-- turn on the haunches, wave at the judge

We completed all the obstacles!

Riding through the horse park sporting our 2nd place ribbon!

We won the ribbon and $$$'s!  This is the only horse show we enter to support our club:

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 03:56:40 pm »

Flash remains with trainer for another week until our schedules coincide to return to pick him up.  Son-in-law, Rob, will get a lesson before we go.  Then, it will be his job to continue to work with Flash.

Chip and I are featured as the cover photo this week for the Rocky Mountain Horses Facebook page.

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 04:32:07 pm »

Flash is home again!  Back from Fair Play, MO where he spent 5 weeks with Tony & Jennifer Vaught.  Son-in-law, Rob, is determined to spend at least an hour with Flash a day.  Yesterday, Saturday, was the 2nd time Rob has ridden Flash.  The first was this past Wednesday (Sept 10) before we brought Flash home.  Rob rode to get some riding tips from Tony. 

Rob rode in our grass arena.  Rode for about 25 minutes.  Rob and Flash did great!  Rob is 6'7".  He makes tall Flash look...not so tall! 

Sunday, Sept 13:   Flash was a little reactive this morning when I checked his back.  Wish I'd checked when we returned home.  No ride today. 

Day 1 of Hill Therapy to strengthen Flash's back: Rob played with Flash from the ground in the arena. Around the barrels, across the poles, down to the scary corner where a deflating green ball lurks. Some friendly sharing space, then hill therapy. 5 minutes circling on 22' lead, both directions, two times with a minute or two rest between. Flash and Rob relaxed into an easy circling rhythm. Flash's back relaxed, his neck stretched and nose quit sticking out. No nervous gelding noise. Rob relaxed his shoulders, dropped the carrot stick as Flash circled. Occasionally, Flash thought it would be good to return to the middle with Rob. Flash was polite, Rob petted Flash's ears and forehead. After a count of three, gently sent Flash back out to the end of the 22' lead to resume the circle.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:20:44 pm by HopeMissouri »

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 10:12:20 pm »

Flash's hip was out.  Now it's where it belongs.  Chiro/vet suggested we continue with the strengthening exercises we have been doing.  Flash was a very well behaved patient! 

Loaded Chip first, then Flash to travel to my friend's boarding barn.  She schedules the chiro/vet for all of her boarders, so I was able to get my guys in line.  Good exercise for Chip to wait at the trailer while Flash took his turn for his adjustment in the barn.  Then, Flash was tied at the post outside, as Chip came inside.  Both were good when they were with me, but had moments of concern when I walked away with their buddy.  If I heard them fussing outside, I whistled for them to let them know we were nearby.  Seemed to calm them. 

Chip's adjustment from last year (hope to have a photo of Flash's recent adjustment soon)

Flash hasn't had many trailer rides.  Thought it best to load Chip first to give Flash confidence.  Flash stepped in with little resistance.  Backed off with just a little more exuberance than necessary, but stood nicely at the backdoor when all 4-feet were on the ground.  He loaded easily to return home.  Good boy!  Love him!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:16:58 pm by HopeMissouri »

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 09:44:42 am »

HALLOWEEN!  So cold this morning.  Today was fall shot and farrier day.  Horses were surprised to see me at dawn (7am) to invite them down from the pasture for breakfast...our usual routine an hour earlier than usual.  Farrier arrived promptly at 8:00 as I was tying the last two, Flash and pony, Buster, along the fence rail.  Vet and his assistant arrived at 8:30.  Quite the deal:  trimming, fall shots and dental check. 

Flash was the only one that needed dental attention this time.  Might be his first float?  My older boys don't need sedation, Flash did.  Leaving the wolf tooth since we'll be riding him with rope hackamore. 

It's been a couple of hours since they left and I'm still trying to thaw from two hours in the cold.  It was a lovely +60* yesterday.  This morning just above 30* and windy!   Brrrrrrr!  The boys are all fuzzed out.  Even Flash is soft, plush/fuzzy. 

So wrapped up in holding horses, listening to farrier and vet...I FORGOT TO TAKE PHOTOS.  Dah!  Sorry.   :P

Happy Halloween!!!    :)

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 05:24:36 pm »

This rainy afternoon I sat on Flash for the first time! Knocked the mud off of him as much as possible, then set the Theraflex air pad on him, followed by my bareback pad in the dryness of our barn. Then, Flash loaded right into the trailer! Pointed his nose in the door, threw the lead rope over his back as he stepped right into the center stall of the trailer for the five mile ride to Kitty Hawk Ranch.

Opened the back of the trailer and the divider after we arrived. He stayed put until I asked him to back out as I stood at the window. Both feet on the ground, he calmly waited for me to meet him at the back of the trailer. Calm, calm, CALM! He's never been in Teri Smith's indoor arena. Flash looked around. Sized it up and decided he was safe. We played some ground games, friendly, porcupine, yo-yo...a little driving, squeeze, and before we left, some sideways along the wall.

My goal today was teaching him to pick me up from the mounting block. I know Rita had worked with him, and Tony Vaught (our trainer that had him for a few weeks this summer) probably did, too. But, I hadn't....and, he hadn't been ridden for several months.  My riding pal, Susan Engle, helped me teach Chip to step-up to pick me up from the fence rail, many, many years ago. I've used the same loose lead technique on all of my subsequent horses. Forwards, then stop, then ask the him to move towards me to align with the mounting block. Patience! Didn't take long.

Then, made certain Flash was solid with me jumping all over and pushing him off balance to square himself. Rock steady!!! Good thing, because he's so tall, I really struggled and bumped him on his sides and rump to pull myself over his back to sit up. He continued to stand steadily as I threw the lead rope back and forth over his head. Teri continued with her helpful suggestions including, "Hope breathe!" I kept forgetting. Thank goodness Teri was there. I wouldn't have been as brave to get on him without her there for help and encouragement.

It's been many years since I started riding new horses in a bareback pad with one-rein. I was happy to sit, but Teri encouraged me to ask for a few steps, then bend him to disengage his hindquarters to stop. He did! No quarreling. Crossed his rear feet under himself quite nicely. Best horse ever! Very easy to encourage his mind to stay with me when he was distracted for a moment looking out the door at one of the boarders horses. It won't be long until my son-in-law, Rob, will be back on Flash to get him ready for the spring rides!

HopeMissouri

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 04:38:43 pm »

We're riding in the arena.  Walk, trot, stop, turn, turn on haunches, turn on the fore, cue to lower his head.  Smart, smart boy!  Loads in the trailer like a dream!  Backs out like a champ!  Love Flash! 

Rita and Kathleen raised a nice baby.   :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up