verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator Options for Trailer Camping  (Read 389 times)

saddleuparocky

Generator Options for Trailer Camping
« on: May 14, 2014, 07:53:13 pm »

We need to know your expert opinions on which is the best option to run our trailer when primitive camping with our horses. It needs to be small, lightweight, and QUIET while supporting a fridge (which could be switched to gas), microwave, lighting, and above all air conditioning!
We want it to do the job well without breaking the bank too. I am not sure if there is one that will fit all of my needs, but if anyone can tell me, you all can!!!  ;)    Thank you all in advance!     
Jaci

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
Re: Generator Options for Trailer Camping
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 08:14:59 pm »

If I were to do it all over again, I'd buy 2 Honda 2000's and a parallel cable.  They're super quiet, not too heavy and 1 can power just about everything except the A/C.  When run in parallel, they can handle the A/C too.

The other generators I really like are the yamahas.   Super quiet, very reliable, but I'm not sure if they offer a model you can buy 2 of and run parallel.

The biggest issue with generators is you need at least 3000 watts to run the A/C, and anything that big AND quiet is HEAVY....70 lbs or so.

We bought a dometic inverter generator...it was the price of 1 of the Honda 2000's, but it's not nearly as quiet and it's heavy (65 lbs I think).    I can get it out of the mid-tack, but that's about as far as it goes.
Karen

SHNOOL

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 04:59:27 am »

When you say fridge, you mean a gas operated fridge?  Or are we talking a dormatory style fridge (not designed for an RV)... Because that's a pretty large difference.

Typical RV fridges are gas operated, and use very little power when plugged in, less than 200 watts actually.  A dorm fridge could use as much as 1000 watts when the compressor kicks in.

What Karen is saying, holds true.  We have a little 1000 watt yamaha, its a tough little generator, and honestly runs everything in the trailer we need (except the A/C, and Karen's hair dryer, and her coffee maker!).  When it runs it's stupid quiet.  This generator, will charge the batteries, run the fridge, does it quietly on 2 liters of fuel runs for about 8 hours.

Our dometic was purpose purchased to run the whole trailer, including A/C.  It's louder than everything except traditoinal synchronous generators... In economy mode it's tolerable, without a load on it.  Otherwise, it's just loud.

When charging the trailer, running the fridge... it's fine... turn on ANY heavy load (hair dryer, coffee maker, or god forbid A/C, and it's pretty loud).  It was an $800 generator.

These inverter based generators are decent quiet with no load, but the QUIET factor comes in with price.
Generally the quiet levels go in this order (and it also happens to be the price order):
Inverter (RPM goes up as more power is required).
Honda
Yamaha
Subaru
Dometic/Magna
Champion

Then all synchronous generators (these run at a flat RPM all the time).  These are your $500 generators, you can spot them because there is no box around them, you can see the exposed motor, and fuel tank (if you see one of those in camp, park WAY AWAY from them).

The thing they don't tell you, is the power from the inverter generators isn't usually as clean as the synchronous ones.  On an otherwise 12V trailer it won't matter much.

Walkin45

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 05:15:10 am »

Honda 3000 !!! Quiet. It's the best.

Karen

• Woodland Brittanys
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 05:24:46 am »

The Honda 3000 is a GREAT generator, but it's 134 pounds.

The Honda 2000 is 47 pounds. 

That's what would be the deciding factor for me, if I couldn't permanently mount the generator somewhere

This is the one we bought:

http://tweetys.com/dometic-3000-watt-digital-inverter-generator.aspx?gclid=CPeq2uPnrb4CFWgF7AodnWYA5g

59 pounds BUT if you look at the dB (71-74dB) it's not nearly as quiet as the Hondas (53-59dB).  It'll run everything in the trailer, including the A/C (although not all at the same time), and it was $800, not $2000. 

Karen

Walkin45

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 05:34:51 am »

I have my generator chained in back of truck.  A gf of mine keeps hers in first stall, is always alone . She has a ramp and wheels on her 3000.  She has a come along to,winch generator back not first stall.
.she goes  prolly 20 weekends a tr.

oncidium

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 03:24:49 pm »

Honda.  MOST quiet out there. 

Also get a giant piece of plywood and use it to block the sound.  Place the plywood between YOU, and the generator.  It will deflect the sound.  If you have to use long extension cords, then do so.  Keeps the sound far away.

OHTrailGaitin

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 04:17:20 am »

When I was looking, the most quiet generators were Honda and Yamaha, in that order. Yamaha was only like 2 or 3 decibels higher than Honda. My Honda has been super reliable and starts every time. When I get my bigger trailer I plan to get another 2000 and run them in tandem.

My Honda 2000 will run my A/C, BUT I have a smaller 9000W A/C instead of the standard 13,500W. I think I am pushing the limits with it, but it runs.
Karen

A canter is a cure for every evil.  ~Benjamin Disraeli

Formerly known as k w a p p

Myaj

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 09:57:25 am »

You probably already know, but check before you go to see if they are even allowed.  Most parks in WI don't allow them unless you have a medical need, so they are pretty much worthless in this area :(

kckc

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 03:24:18 pm »

I know they are so handy but I hate to camp out where all the generators are going.  just ruins the ambiance.   
NC

saddleuparocky

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 04:42:26 pm »

Thank you for the replies. Good information to consider. We ended up not requiring one yet, but eventually will need some source of power when camping primitively. Mostly for A/C. Our fridge can run on propane as well as electric. Thanks!     8)

Petey

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 04:41:06 pm »

We have a honda 3000. It runs everything including A/C. My husband put a hitch on the front of our truck with a rack to hold it, once loaded for the trip it stays there. Make sure you have the correct gauge cable for whatever amperage/wattage you are running from the generator to what ever you are powering. Good luck - it is nice to have A/C especially after a nice trail ride :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up