verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hay net update  (Read 763 times)

Patricia Mosely

Hay net update
« on: November 19, 2013, 06:27:02 pm »

My hay nets came Saturday. Sunday morning, I went to feed and hang the nets, for the first time. I bought the large hay nets that hold about 1/2 bale. Let me tell ya, they are NOT easy to fill, the very first time, LOL!! But, I got it done and put the nets up. Boogie and my boarder's horse, took to them right away but my prime and proper Miss Rose, would prefer to have her hay presented to her, on the ground...thank you very much.

Anyway, their hay is lasting longer. All 3 are eating out of them just fine. I am happy that I did this. Less mess around the barn and very little wasted hay.

Pat

Pupsnponies

Re: Hay net update
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 06:43:30 pm »

I've seen other strategies that folk use but I've never been unhappy with this purchase - makes it a lot easier to load hay into a net:

http://www.sstack.com/product/dura-tech-stablehand/

Especially in the cold weather...anything that makes it faster!

Mj

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 06:52:46 pm »

I am not sure what brand you got, but this is my method. 
Stand the bale complete with strings on its end.  Open the hay net as wide as it goes, and pull it over the bale.  Once it is pulled up to half the bale, turn he bale over.  Pull the second net down over half the bale.  Now cut the strings and tip the top half of the bale in its net over, so you have two half bales in a net side by side.  Now you can get the strings put altogether tighten the cinch ropes and hang up two half bales.  I find this much easier than trying to fill the nets with individual flakes.  And if the net is intended for a half a bale, this works real slick.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 07:49:38 pm »

I have done what Kysa has done but I usually hang my net on the side of the stall with a clip & hold out the net to fill the bag. 

Raylin

Patricia Mosely

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 08:10:56 pm »

Thank you!!! I'll try standing my next bale on end and see how it works.

Pat

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 05:09:47 am »

Chix Cinch makes frames for their smaller hay nets. They have a name for this that escapes me. I bought two of them. You thread the net around the frame before mounting on a stall wall. It comes will all the necessary hardware, even the clip at the top. Once mounted, just unclip the top of the frame and it folds down making a rigid rectangular opening through which a couple of flakes of hay can easily drop. Then, push the frame back up to the top clip and fasten it. Done! This can be done with one hand holding the hay and the other manipulating the clip. Easily.

In the second picture below, you'll notice I didn't have a solid wall to attach the frame to. Since there were studs, I simply fastened two 2x4's to the studs and then mounted the frame brackets to the studs.

[attachment deleted by admin]
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

Walkin45

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 06:02:43 am »

How is this better, I know , waste of hay, slow eating, but a horse is designed to forage off ground.?

Shelley

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 06:32:40 am »

If you want to use nets and your horses are shod, you shouldn't put the nets on the ground.  All mine are barefoot so my ChichChix nets are put on the ground.  I use the small square bale sized nets.  They are wonderful.  I have 12 nets so I can always have full ones on hand.  I'm lazy like that.

NoBite

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 06:53:54 am »

Carol, I understand your concern because you are right! Some horses are somewhat like diabetics and we really must find a way for them to eat more frequently and in smaller amounts. So, that's one reason folks use these slow-feed nets. And, I have found that we are not wasting hay any more. I could take a picture of my manure pile, which is really an old-hay-pile! I bet we throw out at least 1/3 of the hay we feed each year. At least. But, with these nets, I do not find peed-on hay on the stall floors. So, I think this will end up saving us a lot of hay (money).
- Life is short. Ride your best horse.

John Maldaner, western Kentucky
Star KMSH, 1991-2017 R.I.P.     Legs, MFT, 1999-2018 R.I.P.    Bandit, TWH, 2005   Smokey, TWH, 2010

Patricia Mosely

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 07:17:21 am »

I've seen these in Valley Vet and Jeffers catalogs. Just too big of an expence for me, right now. I got took by hayman delivering round bales, in the dark and the hay ended up molded throughout. So, I am buying square bales and using the haynets.  With my set up, if there were only 2 horses here, this would work great. I could put one at each end of my run-in. But with 3 horses, I think the haynets are working out find.

Mine are all shod. December, I'll have their shoes pulled for winter but, I haven't seen any of the horses pawing at the haynets. And, the nets hang low enough, that they aren't eating with their heads in the air.

Pat

Cashela

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 11:37:52 am »

Do you have a muck bucket?  I like Kysa's way if you are feeding whole bales but if not, take a muck bucket, put the hay net in side the muck bucket and put the edges of the net around the edge of the bucket, toss your flakes of hay in and you are done. 
Jenn-New Hampshire

g8ted4me

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 12:22:09 pm »

I also do like Raylin suggested and hang my hay net on two hooks.  Then they stay open and are easier to fill. I bought the cheaper hay nets and just toss them out in the pasture on the ground so the horses kind of move from net to net and get the movement and are eating from the ground.  Some days if I am in a hurry and just toss a bale out and spread it all around I can't believe how much more of the hay is wasted.  The horses just seem to clean the hay up better when using the hay nets even though they are just tossed on the ground too.  I feel they are worth the extra time.
~Jen
Wisconsin
Frenesi- Peruvian mare
Mister- Racking gelding
Lady- Kentucky Mt mare

PAWalker

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 05:41:32 am »

What Nobite said. 

When I lived on SoCal, I fed my horses from hay feeders that were attached to the top rail of the pipe panels, making the hay chest level for all of my horses. 

Not an ideal situation but a lot better than feeding from the ground or a tub they would throw the hay rom, then suck up all that sand while they were eating.

I still soaked the ground under the feeders so what little hay that did drop was on wet sand that stood less chance of being inhaled.

I did that for five years, those three horses are with me in TN, have had many physicals since we moved here ten years ago.  None of them have suffered ill effects from eating the bulk of their hay at chest height.   Doesn't mean there aren't horses out there that shouldn't eat like that but my three are fine :)

One of my horses needs a slow feeder hay net.  He gets loose hay in a hay tub and I hang his slow feeder net over the hay tub, so the drippings fall into the tub.  His front wall is made up of pipe panels so I can tie the net to where he does put his head down, just not clear to the ground.

Sometimes, under difficult circumstances we have to modify things, hoping what we do is The Lesser of Two Evils; hanging hay nets higher so shod and barefoot hooves don't get tangled in them being one instance :)

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 07:47:28 am »

I have to say I am glad to be using the haynets for Brown & Chester. For Brown he really don't need the "slow feed" part of it but it keeps him from wasting so much & trying to eating big mouth full where he can not chew it properly. He does not have the greatest teeth anymore so it does help.

With the stupid donk it keeps him from wasting it & since he is a mini I load his up full & don't have to hay him every feeding. Saves time & energy  when Chester tries to escape, LOL

Raylin

G84me

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 09:53:57 am »

Kysa, good idea!! 

Our barn hay leaves something to be desired-too stemmy and Lady won't eat it at all; BJ needs GOOD hay (which I bought myself) to help him put on some pounds for winter, and he gets 4-5 flakes per feed.  Ebby and Lady have already gained the weight they need!  My horses are stalled overnight, go out daytime-we still have grass.  Hay bags are hung by barn staff when the cleaning is done after horses are out.

To the point:  I use a regular muck bucket - stick the hay bag down into the empty bucket, pull the tie out and run it and the excess netting down over the outside of the muck bucket.  Then stuff your hay in to however full you want it, pull the netting up over the top of the hay as you fill the bag.  Pull the tie up and hang the bag.  Works great for me 'cause I'm feeding less than a bale at a time, and in individual stalls.  Works for me.
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up