Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: Ace, Moving Forward  (Read 13594 times)

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Re: Ace, Moving Forward
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 08:06:16 am »

Yesterday and this am I went to the barn tacked up Ace and WORKED his little butt off.  Sweaty and lather.
He wanted to quit, got submissive pretty fast today, but like yesterday he worked long after he thought he should.

I'll ride him tomorrow to see if his outlook on life and riding has changed.  He will also be going back to see Ben next week.

As I explained to the little brat his behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated, I am way too old for this stuff.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 04:39:54 pm »

I finally got my trailer back this afternoon and early tomorrow am I am going to pick up the brat and he is going to Boot Camp with the trainer.  That will teach him to give me a hard time.  LOL

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 01:54:14 pm »

I took Ace to Ben and Boot Camp this morning.
It is very warm and HUMID here, just nasty, but, we went.
Ace thought he was the boss and tried some of his tricks but Ben is young and had all his moves figured out and it did not take a real amount of intense ground work to get his head back in the game.  Then he rode him and worked him HARD!!  Like I wish I still could.  He submitted and it was funny he could not do enough for Ben.

Ben gave me a few pointers and then Cindi, the farm owner talked to me she's a lady in her 50s so she has some idea of my issues and she modified a few things that Ben wants me to do.  They would take NO money!!!
He spent like almost 2 hrs working him.  I'll figure something out.

So, if this weather ever gets gone I am going to try to work his little butt off like Ben did today.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 03:16:47 pm »

I worked Ace this morning on the ground.
He TRIED his stuff on me again, but, thanks to Ben's teaching yesterday that didn't last long at all.
I'll do it again tomorrow and ride him.  We have a run Sunday.  He WILL behave believe me.  LOL

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 09:54:01 am »

this morning I went to the barn early.  I rode Miss Tidy, the QH mare that belongs to my BO.  As much as I really love my STBs I could buy this horse, but I don't have to I can ride her any time I want to.  She is a working bred QH all muscle and brains and she can run and turn a barrel.  Just not with me on her LOL.

Then I got Ace out.  I tacked him up and did about 10 minutes of ground work with him, he was very good.  Much better than yesterday.  Then I got on him and he was super good.  So, I am hopeful that the little brat is going to behave himself.  We have runs every Sunday this month.

Next weekend I'm taking Tidy up to Maine to a pleasure show.  She has never done one of those and my BO really wants to see her in the Pleasure Ring at least once in her life.  Then on Sunday we run barrels.  I'm gonna be a busy old lady.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 04:50:13 pm »

Today I had the Ace I love back.  He was a very good boy.  Not a great time but points and he did well.  No attitude so that was a good thing.

He also went in the BOs 3 horse slant and that was a first for him and he handled it well.  He was in with Tidy the QH and one of the other border's horse, Dakota.
We will be busy over the next 4 weeks with at least one show every weekend.
Next weekend I go to Maine with Tidy and run barrels with Ace on Sunday.  Then I'll take a couple of days off and start all over again.

The 28th is the State Championships I hope he does well there.  Time will tell.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 07:30:56 pm »

It's been a very busy week.  I have some of tomorrow off, but that will be spent packing the truck.
We are leaving for Maine for a show about 3 am Sat and coming back in the late afternoon.
I am taking Dox Tidy Pine, my BOs QH mare.  Lorna has always wanted to see the mare go in halter and pleasure and so, I am going to haul the working QH mare up for a few classes.  NOW, this mare ran a 15.1 second barrel run last Sunday.  But I don't run her I just ride her so we should be all goo.
Then Sunday we have another Barrel run.  I really am thinking about skipping it we are all set for year ends and I might be just a bit tired.  Ace is doing well again so I guess it depends on how I feel Sunday morning when I wake up. LOL

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2014, 07:58:16 pm »

Tomorrow we run the State Championship barrel run.  Part of me wants to go and part of me knows it's going to be difficult as I know there are going to be way too many question.  I have decided just to say NOT TODAY!!!

Ace continues to come along.  I am looking forward to getting him all dolled up in his big brother's tack  hee hee

I will let you all know how we do.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 09:45:43 am »

Our first show season is over and Ace did well.  I am happy with him.

He still needs miles under his belly but he is coming along. 
He will be receiving year end awards both in Maine and Rhode Island.  I was hoping to take him to EA in Mass in November, but my health issues need to be addressed and Nov 4th is the day for some of it.

So, we'll work on stuff and bring him out next year and do even better with him.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2014, 03:34:12 pm »

my granddaughter, Sammi came for a visit today.  Off to the barn we went and she rode Ace.  I was a bit nervous all for nothing.  He was great with her.  The only horse of mine she had ever ridden was Duncan, so it's nice to know he'll behave himself and take care of her.
It was a great day here in RI.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 01:14:18 pm »

Every Fall the New England Horseman's Council holds a huge show called Octoberfest.  It is held in W. Springfield, Mass.  I had friends whose kids where riding their Saddlebreds in all the kids classes.

So I drove up on Friday morning and spent the rest of the day hanging with friends, taking care of some Barrel Horse business and enjoying the heck out of the show.

The girls did very very well and they all deserve it as they have worked really hard this year to make to this show.

Unlike a lot of the kids riding in this show these kids do all their own work NO grooms, just a few of us older ladies who show up to help get them ready to hit the ring.

I stayed overnight with my friend Dollie in her camper and wandered around yesterday morning. I headed back home about 11 am.

The weather was nice a bit cold on Friday but doable. This morning I watched one of the kids on my pc take a 4th in a class of 10 in an EQ class.

Other than that it's been quiet here.  Spent some time with Ace at the barn we are waiting for the farrier, I had his shoes pulled and it's not going to work, so the farrier is coming back Wed to put some back on him.  I hope to get a couple of rides in on him before the 4th of Nov.  After that date NO riding until next March.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 05:23:04 am »

Last Tuesday I had another operation.  So, Ace is on vacation and he is a very unhappy horse.

The BO has 3 people who come into feed in the evening and I had concerns about Ace and how he was going to behave. Sat afternoon he was nasty and the woman feeding was all about just babying him along!!!  NOT so NOT.

Then yesterday afternoon he went after another person.  This time the BO was out there and stopped it.  The Bo made the statement that she would do groundwork with him this morning.  So, that's all good.  THEN this kid, I do not even know announced that she will come work and ride him!!!  I do not think so!!

The woman who he pulled his crap on Sat told her right out that I had spent a lot of money with him at a trainer and that I do not allow anyone to ride him.  The kid then says "she doesn't have to know."

I told the BO right out to keep that kid away from him.
I am waiting for a call to see how he did this morning. 
there is NOTHING I can do, I am in lockdown for at least 90 days. I hate this.  I can not drive, lift or really do anything much and it sucks.

Sorry.  Thanks for reading, I am frustrated can you all tell?

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2014, 04:41:36 am »

The results of our first year of competition are in:::
American Saddlebred Accociation of Maine.
Res Champ in Open Roadster Under Saddle
Res Champ in Standardbred Roadster Under Saddle.

He was ridden by a very talented young woman named  Leigh Drummey from Springdale, ME.

National Barrel Horse Assoc of RI
Champion Senior 4D
Res Champ Senior 1D
Ridden by me.

I am very proud of this little horse that I rescued out of Maine.

He is on vacation at the moment and not liking it.  My Bo takes him out and does ground work with him and will until I can get back at it.
I am looking forward to 2015 with Ace.  I'm still aiming for Saddle Seat.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 03:38:27 pm »

Ace  is not enjoying his time off anymore than I am. 
but I'm not being a brat he  is.

My BO has been taking him into the ring and doing ground work with him and Ben, my trainer, has offered to come work him.
I will probably take him up on that offer.

In the meantime I am in lockdown, I see the doctor tomorrow morning early, but things have not been going all that well, so I am sure that I will stay locked down for at least a few more weeks. 
this just sucks.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2014, 02:47:03 pm »

I saw the Doctor this morning.  I have to be locked down for at least 4 more weeks.

But she is happy with how I am healing but this is just a bummer.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31   Go Up