Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Ace, Moving Forward  (Read 12412 times)

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
Re: Ace, Moving Forward
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 06:58:14 am »

We have one more show up in Maine this coming Sat.  So Ace and I are hard at work getting him used to a western show bit as I have decided to try that instead of English.  Ought to be fun.

As usual he's coming along well.  He has a great work ethic, as do most STBs.  They really are a Blue Collar kind of horse.  Ready, willing and able, all you need to do is show them what you want them to do.

The best thing I did for us was sending him off to Ben for 90 days, best money I have spent on him.

I'll let you all know how we do when we get back home.
Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 08:32:38 am »

I am just about packed for my last trip for a show in Maine.  We leave at about 3:00am tomorrow and will be back home by suppertime I would think.

I am showing in just 4 classes and it matters not where we place as long as he does what I ask of him.  So far he has not taken a bad step and that makes me happy that every penny I spent was well spent.

Ben did exactly what I needed done with this horse and now I need to get him finished.
I'll let you all know how we do.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 11:47:30 am »

We have completed out 2014 show season with high honors in my mind.

Ace has done everything I have asked of him and done it well in the Pleasure Ring.

We still have 2 barrel runs in July, one in August and a couple in Sept including the State finals which is a stand alone show.

No matter what I have asked of him he has done willingly and well.  People are really seeing him and commenting on his all about business outlook on life and his easy way with everything asked of him.

He really has turned himself into a cool little horse.  He is not what I ever would have thought  of for myself but it is a really nice surprise.
I'll keep you posted.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • View Profile
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 03:49:56 pm »

Judi & Ace ready to go into Western Pleasure class this past weekend in Maine!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 05:23:10 pm »

Thanks Val, once again.
For a horse that would not Pace unless rigged to do so on the track he certainly seems to like to gait with me and he is smooth as glass.

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • View Profile
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 06:12:54 pm »

Ace GAITS!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 06:21:25 pm »

Again, Thanks Val. Yes he does and I intend to continue to bring him along as a multi-talented(gaited) horse.

He stays all relaxed and so willing to work.  I guess everything happens for a reason

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 11:18:16 am »

I hauled Ace out to Goddard Park for our first ever REAL trail ride.  I took a young woman from the barn with me and we met up with my old barn owner and her daughter-in-law.

Ace never took a wrong step and went down the trail like he had done it all his life.  We had to go across several trees that had come down over the trail.  One was just a little step the other one was as high as his knees and he walked over like it was nothing.  He looked and that's ok, I don't want a robot that will walk off a cliff but he did not refuse.  I thought he might try to pop the taller one but he didn't.  We were out about an hour and a half and I just sent the trainer a huge thank you for making this horse MY horse.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 03:41:49 pm »

The Us Trotting Assoc is traveling around to different racetracks inviting folks to COME BACK TO THE TRACK.

The event will be at Plainridge Race Track in Mass on Aug 23 AND 24TH.
I just got an invitation to bring Ace and to ride him on the track!!!  They have invited lots of retired racers to come back for a Post Parade and I don't know what else, but I think we will attend.

That is the track he did a lot of his racing on and I am sure there will be people there who won lots of money on my boy.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 09:08:15 am »

I gave Ace a 2 week vacation.  This morning I went to the barn and worked him.  He is so lazy.  LOL.

I rode the QH mare yesterday.  They are both back to work and seem happy to be doing that.
Duncan is still just hanging out enjoying lots of good food and living large.

I will be taking Ace Back to the Track on Aug 24th.  I will ride him as a Roadster Horse and then Western.  So, folks will get to see him trotting and gaiting.  I really want to show people how cool this breed is.

The other riders will be doing English and they mostly don't like the lateral gaits but I always have and like my horses to be very apt at all gaits that they should do naturally if bred to do so.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 02:40:30 pm »

After much thought and talking to the woman who is in charge of the events this coming Sunday we have decided that Ace will go as a Roadster Under Saddle Horse.  There is at least one other going western and NO ONE doing Roadster, so this should be fun because I love to ride on the track and go fast!!!  Maybe someday I'll grow up  LOL.

So, I had to dig out all that tack as I had put it all away figuring that I was done with Roadster until next year, but nope.
I tacked up and climbed on and he was is usual lazy calm little self, I hope he wakes up a bit at the track.

I'm looking forward to this Sunday and will fill you all in when it's all over.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 06:17:14 pm »

A change in plans.  hee hee.  Before we go to the track we are going to a barrel run in the late morning. Then we will do the track as a Roadster horse.  Poor Ace, but it shows how he can go from one thing to another and I know he will do well.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 05:42:13 pm »

The farrier came this morning so Ace's toes are al set for Sunday.  I have to clip him and make him all pretty, I had unpacked the trailer so it could go to the garage for a bit of work on the shackles on the tail gate assembly.  I picked it up this morning on the way to the barn.

I dug out my silks and am going to pack up the trailer again.  Seeing as we are doing barrels in the morning and Roadster in the afternoon, that means LOTS of equipment to get the day done.

I am really looking forward to the day and hope someone takes lots of pictures.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 11:33:17 am »

I got my trailer back from the garage, repairs to the shackle that holds the tail gate spring in place is all fixed.  It cost a huge $40.00.  My mechanic takes great care of me.

Rode yesterday after the farrier got done. Tomorrow I will pack the trailer.  I'm running barrels before we head out for the track so I have to pack a ton of stuff.  LOL  Western and Roadster Stuff.

Ray I have to tell you that Alamo Saddle is wonderful!!  It fits Ace perfectly and me too.

So, tomorrow I'll ride and pack and early Sunday morning about 8 am I'll go load up Ace and we will be off on our great adventure.

I am so looking forward to riding him on the track.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 06:54:32 am »

Ace lived up to his real name all day yesterday.  LOL

He was a total BAD BOY both at the barrel race and at the track.
To be fair there were other horses at the barrel race that were not themselves and at the track there was ONE horse that behaved in the parade down the track the other 5 had to be led and that wasn't so pretty either .
But, I did have fun and it was neat to be at the track.

Ace's race owner has asked me to bring him up at some point so he can drive him again.  I told him I could do that.

So, I texted the trainer and I expect I'll hear from him today at some point and until I figure out what is going on with him it's lots of MILES on his little butt.  Wet saddle blankets and all that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Up