Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: Ace, Moving Forward  (Read 13193 times)

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Ace, Moving Forward
« on: May 10, 2014, 11:41:27 am »

Ace has come back from his issues of almost a year ago.  He has been at the Trainer's since April 1st and is doing well.

Tomorrow we will be doing barrels for the first time ever.  Ought to be a hoot.  we will not be going for speed, just to complete the pattern and get it done.

His Race owners are going to try to come see us go.  Marc, loves this horse and is all happy I am going to show him.  So, I'll write more after I get home tomorrow.

Judi and the Boys, Rhode Island

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
Re: Ace, Moving Forward
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 10:49:36 am »

I went to the barn for 11 this morning.  Ben met me with "Dig out your tack.  You are doing it all today."
And I did.  Ace was such a good boy. We walked and trotted.  I am almost ready to think about Cantering.  He has come along so well.  Better than I had hoped for.

I love the trainer and the BO, they run a very professional program and it's nice to go there for 11 am on Wed and have Ben ready to spend at least an hour with me and me alone.  We are able to work and go over the next steps.

Ace is like a different horse and I am really liking that.

I'll pick him up Sat am and we run on Sunday and then I'll bring him back to the trainer on Monday morning.  I am feeling better and better about this every time I am around him.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 10:44:04 am »

I went to the trainer's and picked Ace up this morning.  We have a barrel run tomorrow and it's easier to have him at the boarding barn for travel to the run.
Anyway, he self loaded!!  I'm loving that little improvement.  I groomed him when I got him home and then put him in his paddock where he proceeded to drop and roll. Standardbreds seem to hate to be clean.  Both Ace and Duncan prefer to be beyond dirty.
Anyway I'll post to let you all know how we do tomorrow.

After this run I have to start riding him English to  get ready to head for Maine and the STB shows over the next 3 months.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 01:48:19 pm »

I am so very happy with Ace.  We hauled to a new ring today, a farm he has never been to.  Unloaded and he was all good.  Mellow and just fun to be around and on.

I took him into the ring and there were a bunch of other horses in there doing their thing and he just went along like I needed him to.
I got some wonder gait out of him!!!  Several people asked me what he was doing  LOL  Silly people.  Anyway I am so very happy with my boy.
He's a STB, but he is so very different from Duncan.  But, that's one of the coolest things about this breed they are all so very different.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 10:40:29 am »

I took Ace back to the trainer's this morning.  I talked to Ben and I will be riding 3 days a week to get him going English and Ben will continue his excellent work with him on the other days.

We go to Skowhegan, Maine the 12-15th of June so I have to get going on this saddle seat dream I have.

They have a full slate of Standardbred classes in some of the Maine shows both 2 and 3 gait.  The same horse can not do both.  I am hopeful for 3 gait.  Time will tell

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:12:21 am »

A couple of firsts this morning with Ace.
Tacked him all up English.  No issue there.  He's all good with it boy am I ever out of shape.  LOL
Then we went on MY first trail ride.  and we were out in the woods on real trails.  This farm where he is has over 300 acres and most of it is trails no roads as such.  Just wonderful.

Ace never took a bad step.
The Barn Owner told me she has been riding him and she doesn't ride a whole lot of the outside horses, but Ben told her she would like Ace and she does.

I know you all are probably getting tired of hearing it but this little horse is lots of fun.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 01:59:41 pm »

After a weekend of miserable weather I finally got to the barn today to ride Ace.  I used my Dressage saddle and was comfortable in it,  I rode my cutback last week and is was ugly.  My body is still not where it needs to be from that operation a year ago.
anyway I had a nice ride did a lot of trotting.  yes, trotting.  He is a very smart and willing horse.

The farrier came and we put 4 on him as we are headed for Maine and a big pleasure show in 2 weeks.

I'll go ride with the trainer tomorrow.  Then I'll really be sore as he pushes the heck out of me.  But, I'm ok with that somebody needs to.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 11:47:11 am »

I rode with the trainer this morning.  lots of TROTTING!!!  I am impressed with how I am doing!  LOL

We did lots of turning on the fore hand.  Ben and I talked about ME and MY issues and Ben told me to do this how I would normally do it.  I showed him my way and Ace did what we needed him to do with his feet, so Ben said good enough do it your way.

Then we went to the Round Pen and CANTERED!!!!!  Yep, I did it and did it well.  I am so proud of my horse and myself.  I wanted to show him saddle seat next week, but I am not there yet.  But, this show is do able and while we both have a ways to go it's going to be lots of fun.

Sending Ace to Ben was a very good decision on my part and I am just so happy with how he is turning out.

Ben does clinics and he asked if he could use Ace and I said he certainly could, just let me know when. 

So, everything is going along even better then I hoped for.  We leave for Maine next Thursday for a 3 days show and I'm looking forward to it.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 11:14:36 am »

I'm another year older today and I went to the barn early this am.  I cleaned out the trailer and started packing for Maine.  Ace and I leave on Thursday morning to be gone for 5 days.

I groomed Ace and rode him.  He was a good boy.  Then I fitted his new Silver Show Halter.
It was a gift from a friend in Calif who used to show Appys and had this for you Champion Halter Mare.

She sold the mare years ago and packed the halter away.  They came across it a week ago and her husband told her she should send it to me for Ace.  It is fine rolled leather with lots of engraved silver.  It looks like it was made for him.
So, thank you to Donna and Jack.  We will be thinking of you up in Skowhegan.  The funny thing is we used to show the Appys up there in the early 2000s. 

Duncan is doing well and seem happy that he is next to his Tidy girl.  Ace is just happy to be away from boot camp.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 11:04:13 am »

Years ago, when I first had Duncan, Gail Travis did a beautiful Hunt bridle and Breastplate for us using Emeralds and Amber with silver beads.
The set has been hanging here in the house for years as I stopped riding him English and just rode him western and barrel raced him.
So, last night I was going through tack and pulled the set out and this morning I took it to the barn.

Even though Ace has a small head the bridle came down small enough to fit him!!

So, this weekend Ace will be wearing Gail Travis and it will like Duncan is with us.

The vet came this morning to give me his Health Certificates for the next 2 weekends.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 01:42:05 pm »

The trailer is packed, the truck is almost done.  We leave tomorrow morning for 5 days in Maine.

We will be showing at the Down East Congress in Skowhegan.  This is a nice show.  A bit bigger than I would have liked to bring him out at, but we'll  be fine.

You will not be hearing from me until I get back on Monday but I will update you all then
Have a nice weekend

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 11:13:08 am »

Just back from a ride with the trainer.  He is pleased with how well Ace is coming and I didn't mess him up the week I had him back in my barn LOL.

We had a great lesson, I am sore so that means it's working to get me back into shape.  Ben says he has learned a lot about older challenged riding from me  LOL  Poor kid.

So, I pick Ace up Friday morning and we head back to Maine for a show on Sat, then early Sunday we are headed back to RI for a barrel race then back to the trainer's.  July is a bit calmer but it's another trip to Maine and a couple of barrel runs, Aug is out final trip to Maine then we just run barrels unless I decide to go to Ohio for the STB show out there in the Fall.  Time will tell.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 05:13:33 pm »

It is difficult to believe that a year ago I traveled up to Maine to pick Ace up and bring him back to RI.

Over the last year we nurtured and loved him and have brought him back to his wonderful, beautiful self.
I tell people he is not Duncan, but, to be honest, in some ways he is better than Duncan.  Go figure.

They both have different strengths and attitudes.
Duncan is more of a lap horse and Ace is a let's get this done and fast.  I like FAST...  LOL

As I said it seems like yesterday.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 03:19:38 pm »

I brought Ace home from the trainer's yesterday.  90 days went very fast.  But I am glad he is home.
I groomed and rode him today and he went really well we walked, trotted and cantered and did some gaiting.

I am showing him in open classes so I have to trot, but that will end in August and I can get back to gaiting.

We are going running barrels tomorrow and I know we will both have fun.  He seems to enjoy them and is getting better each time we run.  I don't do a lot of drilling down on the pattern it will come with time. 

I am sure there are folks who would think I am a nut about how I train, but it works well for me and always has.  Training takes time and I will take the time to make this little horse the best that he can be.

slamduncan

• ACE my next project
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 02:48:27 pm »

I am starting to transition Ace into a levered bit for showing Western Pleasure.
So this morning I put one of Duncan show bits on him.  He was so funny, his headset was awesome however, he kept hanging his tongue out the side of his mouth.  If I was going left it was out on the right and vice versa.

So I explained to him that he is a big boy now and has to go in a big boy bit.  LOL.
I have another one here that I will try on him tomorrow.  He'll get there he is smart and we have lots of time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30   Go Up