verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For Schnool - about Windows 8  (Read 278 times)

stablemind

• Administrator
For Schnool - about Windows 8
« on: May 10, 2014, 05:19:28 am »

I thought I should not hijack Raylin's thread so I moved my comments here. I have a question also.

School, I appreciate your explanation and I'm sure you're right. I would never make Windows 8 look like 7 because I don't really want to go backward. That's not to say I like the charms and tiles - I haven't yet discovered the benefit. I might like the tiles if my new computer was a touch screen, but my W8 computer is an AIO desktop (mainly for business use) and a touch screen would be a nuisance. I have the things I use most on the desktop taskbar so when I boot the computer, I switch immediately to the desktop view.

I totally agree with you about MS security. Most users are in kindergarten when it comes to actual computer knowledge...myself included.

My biggest issue with Windows 8 was I had to manually find my printer drivers. I had several drivers to choose from and it took some trial and error to find the one that included the scanner software. I updated to 8.1 immediately, then had to go through the process all over again. I have 2 wireless printers, one dedicated to printing checks and one for everything else. If I don't use 2, I end up with faxes printing on checks.

Now that I've done the big software upgrade they sent a couple weeks ago, I lose connection to my router just about every day. It reconnects if I restart the computer. Any idea what's up with that? I'm afraid to try updating the router drivers and risk losing connection to the printers. My AIO printer works great but is old and I'm worried about losing connectivity.

Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

SHNOOL

Re: For Schnool - about Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 05:56:47 am »

The problem is likely related to your drivers for your wireless device... I can prove that if you wire in (temporarily) to the router...

If wired in works fine (a long cable temporarily run to the router), then it's the wireless drivers.

For the record, for any kind of production computer (especially a work related one) should really be wired in (unless of course its impossible)...

If you are having problems with your printer (likely a less common model), I'd go to the printer manufactuers website FIRST.  You'd think that big names like HP would provide reliable drivers for every version of windows right?  NO.  We have a VERY COMMON HP Officjet 6500 (a great printer by the way)... it came out when Windows 7 was in it's prime.  The drivers for windows 7 of BRUTAL!  rather the SCAN drivers are brutal.  No better in windows 8, windows 8.1 forgetaboutit.  We've found it has a web interface to "scan do pdf" and it works flawless.  Go figure.

Microsoft tries to include as many "common" drivers for devices in their OS.  They even have extended driver sets available online.  YEAH I know, you add a device, it gives you an option to "search online for a better driver" and it's traditionally NEVER worked.... Believe it or not, it works now! Mostly.

I'm a huge advocate of Dell for their computers, because ALL drivers for all the major operating systems (including 32 and 64 bit versions, Linux, windows XP, 7, Vista, and 8) are available on their support website.  Yeah HP, and Lenovo, Acer, and ASUS all do the same (sort of), but I find the Dell support site to be most comprehensive (every so often they change the site around, and drive us all nutso).

Anyway, I'd try to find updated drivers for the wireless card, if after you try wired and find it more stable.

If the WIRED is unstable (unlikely), then definitely update your firmware for your router.  You should not lose settings for your router if you update the router.  If you do, then the router company isn't really one you want to deal with (or the device is just seriously outdated).

My own happiness level has gotten better since I ditched the $50 router at home, and got a business class CISCO ASA ($500) to connect to work.  This is overkill for most people.  The main reason for doing it was to create a pinned up connection (secure) to work (point to point VPN).  Anyway, it's drop dead relaible, and I added a wireless access point to provide wireless (it's good to get stuff from work).  My point?  A good reliable router is piece of mind, if it turns out it's your router, consider a higher end Cisco/Asus/Dlink.

One more word about random disconnections.  We used to use Symantec Antivirus... we found a flaw in it where it randomly interrupted our WIFI connections (in their firewalling portion of their product).  They've since fixed the flaw, but we've seen it happen in various OTHER firewalling/antivirus products (never in the integrated windows firewall, or anti-virus).  That's another source of random disconnects.

One last thing to consider (and reason I say use wired to test)... Microwaves can interfere severely with WIFI signals (on certain channels, usually channel 1).  If you find your connection drops when you are microwaving your favorite popcorn (if the micro is near line of sight to the router), then it is VERY likely your micro causing it.  Try a different channel (there are really on 3 on 2.4 Ghz, 1, 6, and 11).

Hope that helps.

G84me

Re: For Schnool - about Windows 8
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 08:02:39 am »

Wow, that's a mouthful and most of that is waaaay over MY head.  I am still running XP on an Emachine with Firefox browser...A computer friend added AdBlock, Advanced SystemCare 7, and the high-end version of Avast virus block.  I need to pray over my computer every time I start it up, as it's getting old.

Joann
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding
Pages: [1]   Go Up