verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: solar panels  (Read 319 times)

Bejammie

• Keep Calm and Ride On
    • Carolina Homegrown
solar panels
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:57:53 am »

We werea planning on running our barn on solar panels/car batteries, using energy-efficient lighting.  We happened to find two solar panels for $6 each at our local goodwill, each one will charge a car battery in a day. Yay!! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else ran their barn with solar panels?
Allison

Proud mom to Sydney, saddlebred, Birch, TWH, and Abel, SSH.

Shelley

Re: solar panels
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:44:21 pm »

I have no electric in my barn so I use a solar panel from Harbor Freight to keep a marine battery charged and run some 12V lights.

Patricia Mosely

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 04:53:39 pm »

One of the gals I ride with uses a solar panel to charge the battery that runs her generator. She uses all that to run her water pump. She started with a small solar panel. It worked fine during the summer and fall but with the short days of winter, she couldn't keep her battery charged. She up graded to a bigger panel and her brother put it on a stand and cemented the stand in a spot where there's no shade. It's been working great. Her panel is about 3' by 4'.

Pat

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:57:28 pm »

Interesting a solar panel maybe something for us to look into for the shed that we don't have electric to. Be nice to have lights of some sort down there.

Raylin

loneelk

• Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!
    • Lone Elk's Lodge
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:31:09 am »

We are seriously considering solar to power the "shop" that we plan to put in later this year.  We'll likely be using a "portable building" and in the location we want it, we're pretty sure that it will cost a fair bit to extend electric.  So thinking about contacting a solar company to see about a small solar power system.  Only need to power an evaporative cooler and a few lights, and even that won't be "all day/every day". 
Val & Gunner, hittin' the trails in southern NM
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain"--Joseph Campbell
www.bonanza.com/loneelk

Pages: [1]   Go Up