Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: a few tips, a handy fix, and a better bucket  (Read 830 times)

stablemind

• Administrator
Re: a few tips, a handy fix, and a better bucket
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 07:25:39 pm »

I wouldn't call it heavy duty, but it's as sturdy as the standard flat-backed buckets. I suppose it wouldn't hold up to a horse mashing their butt into it or throwing it around the stall...just like the others don't.

pasolucy

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 08:31:36 pm »

I bought this one.   I got the junior because I like the smaller size for me.   
http://www.bigdweb.com/Fine-Tine-Pitch-Fork/productinfo/1157FT/
Live, Live, Live, life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death

Willamette Valley, Oregon

OHTrailGaitin

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 04:26:10 am »

I have that Fine Tine fork and I really like it. The head hasn't broken yet, but the handle did. Was a little difficult finding a replacement as the company only sells replacement heads. I don't any problem with 'apples' going through it other than what's already been pulverized by the horses.
Karen

A canter is a cure for every evil.  ~Benjamin Disraeli

Formerly known as k w a p p

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 04:31:08 am »

Yes, this is the fine tine I use when we have sawdust but the tines are too close for even the fine shavings. I hate to waste dry bedding.

GloriousJourney

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 08:14:25 am »

I have the bucket and it's holding up okay, not any worse than any other bucket. BUT...I want someone to make a bucket that fits the horse face well...as this bucket does...but does NOT have square bottom corners or convolutions that make scrubbing out the bucket a much worse task that it should be. I feed flax seed and vit/min supplements at night mixed with some damp senior feed, and if you don't grab the bucket after they eat and wash it, and the cling-ons stick onto the bottom corners and it's a pain to clean. Picky, I know.
Lesley in Jupiter

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 05:10:54 pm »

For cleaning/scrubbing buckets I got a toilet bowl brush. Seems to be a lot easier to scrub the buckets.

Raylin

G84me

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 08:20:08 pm »

Ditto Raylin, I use the toilet bowl brushes too....sturdy handles and stiffer brushes.  Once a week they get REALLY SCRUBBED with one of those green scratchy things...really gets the hard-to-get water deposits out of the corners.

Joann
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding

GloriousJourney

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 04:32:56 pm »

Sounds good...I will go out and get a heavy duty toilet brush and one of those scrubby pads. Maybe one or both of them will do the job better than the brush I use now. Thanks for the suggestions.
Lesley in Jupiter

Myaj

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 12:30:01 pm »

I wonder if the humidity of the climate has anything to do with the apples breaking.. we're more humid so I've never experienced that.. but I could see how in a dry climate they just sort of would break apart with any little bit of jarring.

My mare will not drink happily out of a 5 gallon bucket, so I like to use the flexible muck tubs when we camp.  I don't have to worry about anyone getting hurt because they are flexible, they are easy to carry, and she doesn't have to flinch away from the sides.  That said, you can't really hang them up like a bucket.  I just get the flat back, nice and round buckets for that, but still prefer to just put the muck tub on the ground with water, even when I do put her in a stall. 

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 07:28:46 pm »

I use the "better bucket" as a feed bucket. I don't think it would make a very good water bucket at all. I'd have the water sloshed out before I got it to the stall.

The horse apples break up because the manure fork times are wedge shaped with the sharp edge up. IOW, like dull knives. All the basket style Dura forks are like this. I didn't see any of the Verza forks at EA. They may have been there, but I shop extensively. I did see a fancy ergo-dynamic basket-style fork that didn't have blades for tines, but I thought they were way overpriced at $60. I'm going to order a Verza fork.

Myaj

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 11:05:53 am »

Most of the forks I've used have round-ish tines.  I'll have to look closer at the Dream Fork today, I *think* they are flat on top.  What I like is since each tine is separate, if you run into something hard, the tines can bend and flex a little instead of the tine breaking or whatever you are stuck on breaking.  There's been several times I've gotten a rock or frozen apple stuck between two tines that might have snapped off a normal one, but the dream fork tines just flexed and yes, it got stuck, but it didn't break my fork!

Myaj

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 09:46:12 pm »

Took a look at the Dream Fork and the tines are flat top and bottom, so maybe that would work for you.  My standard forks (Durafork?) don't really look like they come to a sharp edge but they are sort of tapered, I see what you mean.

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 05:00:40 am »

Yeah,  I could see from the pix that the dream fork has flat times.  No,  the Dura tines aren't sharp,  but it doesn't take much to slice through a horse apple.  :D

abbypeaches

• A hunk of meat and two potatoes!
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 02:35:40 pm »

I have a fork like that and LOVE it! We use it in our matted stalls(no shavings) in our run in & in the outdoor dry lot/arena(sandy) where the boys hang out. It has held up well this Spring so far. I used it in the deep snow to pick up the manure,too, when it wasn't super cold out. My son is hard on the m forks so hoping this one will last a few years.
Marilyn and
  Midnight Rendezvous (Kate) 3 yo MFT  mare.

Herecomestheson

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 06:30:15 am »

I like that "better bucket" Cyd, I will get a couple next time I am at TS.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up