verify account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: a few tips, a handy fix, and a better bucket  (Read 831 times)

stablemind

• Administrator
a few tips, a handy fix, and a better bucket
« on: April 05, 2014, 07:44:54 pm »

Just a few fix-its, new products and ideas I've come across and thought I should share.

First, a better bucket, which is called, you guessed it, "The Better Bucket". I picked one of these up at TSC for Babe when his neck incision was healing. I think this has to be nicer for a horse than cramming his head into a regular bucket. (About $10, if I remember right.) BTW, this is not my horse, it's the photo from the website.

A couple weeks ago I brought all the bridles in and gave them a thorough cleaning and conditioning. The bridles cleaned up nicely but all the curb straps were brittle and rotten. I went online shopping for beta-biothane curb straps and found them priced all over the place (as much as $24/ea) . These were the best deal: $6.00 from Outfitter's Supply.

Here's a quick, easy and durable fix for hay nets that have been destroyed by a dog. Naturally, I blamed the horses at first, then discovered it was the dog tearing up hay nets to make herself a nest to sleep in. @%^& dog! But I discovered you can fix any number of hay net holes with zip ties aka cable ties. Notice there are 5 repairs to this net. I did this about 6 weeks ago and the net still works fine.

Here's one for in the house, an idea I found on Pinterest. Use a pool noodle to keep your boots in shape. One pool noodle at about $1.75 and my boots are ready to store for winter.

And now for a question. Has anyone used one of these manure forks? If so, I'd like to hear how they work. I need a new fork that can sift out the bedding without slicing up the horse apples so they fall through as well. I am thinking of getting one of these...hope to check them out at Equine Affaire. They're spendy (but look at all the ways I saved $$!). I just want to know if they actually work better. This is the "New Wave Dream Fork" by VersZa.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:47:25 pm by stablemind »

Walkin45

Re: a few tips, a handy fix, and a better bucket
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:40:14 pm »

I have a fork like,that, but haven't used it yet.  Hope,it works!

G84me

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 10:29:48 pm »

Cyd, my friend bought one for another friend for her birthday. 
I haven't heard anything bad about it.  Sure is pretty, and having held it in my hands to admire, I thought it was nice and sturdy.  The recipient moved to another barn.

Joann
- Joann
Central Ohio
Black Jack - STB gelding @ Rainbow Bridge 11/15
Lady - Tennessee Walker mare
Ebony - Tennessee Walker gelding

doubtndeb

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:43:11 am »

Thanks for the post!
I like that bucket.

Debbie

cruisinlight

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 07:08:54 am »

I love the pool  noodle idea--- Thanks!

Mona

• The Money Pit Ranch
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 12:58:59 pm »

I really LOVE that bucket!! Will have to look them up.  My horses have been chewing their their hay nets with their teeth on a regular basis.  I think I'd go through far too may zip ties for these rotten horses! LOL!  I save a piece of baler twine from a bale of hay every once in awhile, cut them to short lengths and pile in a certain spot in my barn so I have them handy to "repair" the holes in the nets as I see them while refilling.
Morson, Ontario.  Canada

Home to:
"Cheyenne"
- Black Pinto SSH Mare
"Ruby" - Bay Pinto KMH Mare

Raylin

• "If you only knew what your horses thought of you!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 07:48:14 am »

I like the zip tie idea. I use baler twine to fix the one Brown ate holes everywhere in.

Mona we save all our baler twine we use it to fix a lot of things. 

I have seen that fork also but about fell over when I seen the price tag on it.  It is neat that you can customize the colors on it.

Raylin

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:56:29 am »

Yeah, it's definitely not the bargain brand manure fork, but I will happily pay the price if it works as an apple picker rather than an apple slicer. My manure forks don't break, I just need them to work, and for me, that means it will let me sift and reuse the shavings, not slice the horse apples so they fall back through. I think the colors are kind of ridiculous, actually.

OHTrailGaitin

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 10:09:32 am »

Be careful on those zip ties and make sure to trim them really close to the 'head'...the little nubs left after cutting the tail off can be sharp.
Karen

A canter is a cure for every evil.  ~Benjamin Disraeli

Formerly known as k w a p p

KysaSD

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 10:28:37 am »

I find the dura fork brand works great, but it am picking apples in straw, not sawdust.
Kysa, South Dakota, 2 Mountain Horses, a Curly Foxtrotter, a TWH and a Mini, yes, I am crazy!

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 01:46:03 pm »

I always snip the zip-ties flush. Zip-ties are my go-to for lots of things.

Kysa, I use the fine-tine fork when I have sawdust for bedding. Those tines are closer together and they're flat, not wedge shaped. But when I have to use shavings, I have to resort to the regular dura-fork...the one that slices the manure so it sifts through. The only way to avoid that is to not try to sift the shavings and I hate wasting them.

Myaj

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 01:50:54 pm »

I do have that manure fork, but I only use it outdoors (we don't stall) so I can't tell you how it works in shavings. I bought it because I like the angle it hits the ground at (I am tall), its lightweight, and if I don't have to replace a fork head every year it will pay for itself in a couple of years. 

The angle is a little funny, to get used to at first, but it works just as good as a normal one IMO. 

That said, on the rare occassion I have cleaned stalls I never had a problem with a normal fork "cutting" the apples so I'm not sure what you mean there.

ClaudiaIN

• CQ Equine Gifts.Facebook.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 02:56:10 pm »

Like the bucket too--
I'll have to stock  the biotane curb straps--- those are nice- and a GOOD price- Cyd

Thanks!
see my website @ www.CQEquine.com

And on Facebook.   Www.Facebook.com/CQEquine

stablemind

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 03:38:57 pm »

Amy, the Dura forks don't cut up the manure if you're just scooping and dumping. But if you want to sift out the dry shavings, the manure gets sliced in the process and falls right through.

countrygirl

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 06:17:12 pm »

I really liked that bucket until I read the reviews on it.  People are saying it's cheaply made and breaks quickly.   :'(
Liz from Texas
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up